Skirts = Power ?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirts = Power ?

Post by Caultron »

crfriend wrote:* The one time I went out to our co-location facility (which has a raised-floor) in a skirt was the last time I did so. It was one very cold morning with almost as much attention paid to keeping the skirt from lifting in the airflow as what I was actually there to do.
I've worked in raised-floor computer rooms as well, as a server administrator, and the updrafts from the raised floor would indeed be a real nuisance. Probably freeze your stuff, to say nothing of the Marilyn-Monroe-over-the-grating effect.

Car mechanics is skirts are difficult to imagine as well, although some here have spoken of it. But rolling under and out from a car seems problematic.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

crfriend wrote: In fact, if my company decides at some point to build a proper computer room I may wind up going back to trousers at work for just that reason.
I remember a computer room where I used to work around the late 1980's. It housed VAX 11/780s and top-loader disk drives. It also had underfloor forced air cooling. One hot summer the women would stand over the floor vents and let the draught blow up their skirts, just to cool down. I hadn't discovered the delights of a skirt back then, but still envied them. You don't get the same cooling effect in trousers :(

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

There is a dynamic that occasionally plays out when someone meets a member of their preferred gender who is stunningly attractive and "sexy". I find that when I meet such a woman, I feel a level of intimidation, regardless of how much she may be interested in me. If she is dressed and adorned in a way intended to attract men, I feel even more intimidated. I start acting shy and assume that I don't have a chance with her, and feel a fear of rejection. I'm not referring to "golddiggers" who are after a "sugar daddy". These are real women who want a relationship with a good man and just happen to be gorgeous. The same woman in jeans, sneakers, and no makeup would intimidate me less. This is another example of equating skirts and power.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Brad wrote:There is a dynamic that occasionally plays out when someone meets a member of their preferred gender who is stunningly attractive and "sexy". I find that when I meet such a woman, I feel a level of intimidation...
Me too, though less and less over the years. Fear of rejection plays a part of it, plus fear of competition from equally-attractive men. The stakes are just higher.

But if you have to ask 20 attractive women for a date before one accepts, just ask 20 women and don't let the other 19 get you down. Chances are, out of 20 randomly-selected women, you'd only like one as well.

Like the old German guy says, "Ve get too soon olt and too late schmart."

But I have to agree that many attractive women do dress for power. So do men, of course, but it's usually more subdued.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
knickerless
Member Extraordinaire

Post by knickerless »

For some reason I thought of Marilyn Monroe then.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Caultron wrote:
crfriend wrote:* The one time I went out to our co-location facility (which has a raised-floor) in a skirt was the last time I did so. It was one very cold morning with almost as much attention paid to keeping the skirt from lifting in the airflow as what I was actually there to do.
I've worked in raised-floor computer rooms as well, as a server administrator, and the updrafts from the raised floor would indeed be a real nuisance. Probably freeze your stuff, to say nothing of the Marilyn-Monroe-over-the-grating effect.

Car mechanics is skirts are difficult to imagine as well, although some here have spoken of it. But rolling under and out from a car seems problematic.
Below-knee denim skirts are what I wear when I'm at the junkyard or working on the car. Nothing full, of course. But, something slightly a-line works. Allows a normal stride and the ability to jump over mud puddles if needed.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

:P 'Course there may be another power issue with a synthetic skirt dragging on an older synthetic carpet and, when you reach the door handle at the end of the hallway,----WHAMMO. with a nice blue spark :P I've been there, not skirted, and it hurts. ( though maybe the skirt might act as a conductor and minimise the effect.) Hmmmm, may have to try this one!
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

My wife often gets the static shock, particularly when opening the car door and she wears jeans/leggings/trousers 99.9999999999% of the time. Not suffered from it myself whatever I wear. Perhaps it's my wife's electric personality!
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I picked up some good-natured grief at work regarding static electricity one time when I wore my long blue synthetic taffeta skirt for the first time; the general gist was that they weren't going to let me into the computer room on ESD (electrostatic discharge) grounds. Whoever heard of such madness? Shocking, I say, just shocking!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Carl, you seem like a bright spark at the best of times!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Big and Bashful wrote:Carl, you seem like a bright spark at the best of times!
Yeah, and a muffled thud at the worst of times.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Then there was the quickie: Q/ What's black, charred & hanging from the ceiling?.....A/ An Irish electrician.

T.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

crfriend wrote:I picked up some good-natured grief at work regarding static electricity one time when I wore my long blue synthetic taffeta skirt for the first time; the general gist was that they weren't going to let me into the computer room on ESD (electrostatic discharge) grounds. Whoever heard of such madness? Shocking, I say, just shocking!
And to complete the "Casablanca" qoute... "Your winnings sir" :tongue:

Besides, if the taffeta is moving easy, then you haven't built up enough charge to really zap them...yet.

I think it was Contact East (now Stanley Tools) that used to sell the same "Static Guard" you find in the grocery stores as ESD dissipative spray.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Makes me wonder what a plastic bucket, a full circle skirt made of something floaty, and a Van de Graaf generator would produce! An interesting picture?
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
skirtilator
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtilator »

couyalair wrote:Although in the school context mentioned skirts appeared to correlate with power, I am sure such a view is not common. Power over little children, wielding threats and mean punishments, is very little power, is it not.
Even in countries where men generally wear skirts or robes, I have yet to see (pictures) of any police or military except in trousers. Alas, this must definitely reinforce the common perception that trousers = power.

Martin
Nope, this is the most vile and destructive power, because in the first 3 years after birth, you form the child forever, during the stage of brain development.