Made For Men - Skirts, Not Kilts

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
StraightSkirt

Made For Men - Skirts, Not Kilts

Post by StraightSkirt »

http://theurbanapparel.com/index.php/me ... esses.html

Gosh I sure hope they stick to this. They dont have any in my size but I think I may order just to support the cause. Maybe one day I will be skinny again!
StraightSkirt

Re: Made For Men - Skirts, Not Kilts

Post by StraightSkirt »

looks like its been discussed here once already but now they appear to have a larger selection than before.
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

Nice, but they need more colors.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

It's nice to see "Skirt/dresses" on the "Men's" drop-down menu :D
As already mentioned, more colours needed.
Wonder if they ship to / have an outlet in the UK.

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

It's a start, but they are very drab
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

Unfortunately, most men seem to prefer drab, dark and dull.

Martin
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The first thing that struck me was that any of the items could have been situated on the other side of the aisle. Women's skirts/dresses would have not looked any different! I agree that the colours were drab and their lengths were a bit long, but then a long skirt can always be shortened. I am all for bright colours and I have the bright reds, yellows, blues and so in in my wardrobe - and that includes the skirts as well. Prices are a bit tooooooo much for me. If I want a pleated skirt I can pick one up on ebay, in my size women's 14 or 16, for less than a fiver including p&p. But the idea is good.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

couyalair wrote:Unfortunately, most men seem to prefer drab, dark and dull.
That seems to be the case, but at least this is a start.

From the looks of it, they're marketing to the younger crowd -- which can only be good -- based on the sizes available. I'm pretty much a stick-figure at 6' 4" and a 38" waist but nothing they had that I found interesting would have fit me comfortably. Of course, I'm not one of the younger crowd any longer, either; that stuff would have fit me wonderfully when I was in my late teens and early 20s and had a 32" waist.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
knickerless
Member Extraordinaire

Post by knickerless »

Well its a start and the pleated skirts do look great and the prices are not that high - I know you can buy a second hand skirt on Ebay for less - but who really wants someone else's old cast offs - would we do that with trousers?

Nick
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

I find the first skirt quite interesting and I already sent an email asking for info about some details.
The price is not unreasonable, € 58 or USD 78 including postage all the way to the Netherlands.
The pleated skirt reminds me of my teacher miss Foppen who never got married. "Wat do you expect if you wear such an awfull skirt" I used to think.......

Charlie, they do ship to the UK.

Jan.
StraightSkirt

Post by StraightSkirt »

I think what is important here is not the colors or the design but the fact that they are mens skirts for men, regardless of if they are just re-labeled women's skirts. Many of us may need that personal knowledge that it is indeed a mens garment to feel comfortable in public in a skirt.
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

Very well put, straightskirt!
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

I agree with StraightSkirt. The more everyone sees a garment marketed as a man's skirt the more it becomes acceptable.

The big problem is getting to this tipping point first!

R
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

True, it is good. But if the title of the thread is wrong, and they are simply re-labelled women's skirts, then they will lack features men would like, such as pockets. (One of the skirts appears to have pockets; on the rest I cannot tell.) It would be better if they were designed for men, but I suppose that would push the prices up.

I think that site used to sell a range of men's skirts which were all very short tartan or plain (dull shades) mini skirts with things like skull motifs stuck on to "man them up" a bit. What they have now is a step forward, though it would not hurt if they still offered the minis as well!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

I don't think these are "converted" women skirts because they lack the female hip shape.
I consider buying myself the [for_play] skirt provided the slant pockets are deep enough. I sent them an email to inquire about this.
In the meantime they have acknowledged reception of my mail and they are going to measure the depth which make take a few days.
Maybe in a few weeks I can post a picture of me in my urban apparel skirt.

Jan.