Sari/Saree

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Zorba
Distinguished Member

Sari/Saree

Post by Zorba »

Anyone here ever try a Sari?

I'm quite intrigued...
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sari/Saree

Post by Sarongman »

I can't say that I'd want to wear a sari as the convoluted folding to get it right seems too much of a hassle and, for an active person, they would most probably need constant adjuding and "hiching up" Something like the Roman Toga worn by the upper class in ancient Rome who did not have to demean themselves with manual work.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtRevolution »

I lived in India for about 2 years and as my wife is Indian I have worn her Saris and salwaars. Although the Sari is a beautiful and feminine garment, probably more than any other garment, I cannot say it was easy to wear with the constant adjusting. Women like my mother in Law that wear only Saris every day make it look easy and think nothing of it, but for a newbie like my wife she prefers the Salwaars. What’s so wonderful about India is that there is far more equality in fashion. Men have the Kurta, which is almost exactly the same as the woman Salwaar and looks like a dress with really comfy pants. The difference being that the Kurta has pockets (blind Pockets) and isn't decorated like the woman’s Salwaar. I wore Kurtas always at home and they are very comfy, look like a dress with splits on the side and goes to the knee with comfy pants underneath. Men also have the more formal Sherwani, which is worn formally and is often just as decorated as the womans clothing, with every colour including pinks and purple and "bling", yet very Masculine and Royal at the same time. I actually wore a Sherwani for my wedding reception in India. Also, men have the option of the lungi, which famously is the Indian man skirt. My father in-law lives in these and will never trade them in for shorts (he’s a real man!) You will also see some religious monks and "holy" men (Buddhist, Hindus etc) wear a men’s sari, although this is only worn by the monks and are often completely orange or for the Buddhist is red and orange.

The Indian culture is rich with fashion equality but sadly is under attack by the west.
Zorba
Distinguished Member

Post by Zorba »

SkirtRevolution wrote:The Indian culture is rich with fashion equality but sadly is under attack by the west.
Everyone's culture is threatened by wipeout from western pseudo-culture. When I'm in Greece, the last thing I want to hear is rock music...
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I have always wanted to try a sari, the fact that religious men wear a man's sari is interesting and I might look into getting one. Hmmm!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtRevolution »

Here's a picture of a hindu "Holy" man in a sari like garment. I am not sure what they are called or where they can be found.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.