Trying the New Fashion trend

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Trying the New Fashion trend

Post by Grok »

I'm wondering if there is-at least potentially-a latent group between Skirtonians and the trousered herds. A sort of in between group.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:I'm wondering if there is-at least potentially-a latent group between Skirtonians and the trousered herds. A sort of in between group.
Offhand, I would posit very probably, and that's a group that this community needs to reach out to. We are here, after all, to advocate for the skirt to be accepted into the range of "acceptable" male clothing!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Indeed. I was thinking about an article...which featured a man who, despite reservation, was nevertheless willing to try on a "skirt"...which turned out to be skorts. Perhaps some men and women are willing to wear skirts so long as they are also wearing some sort of leggings. On the other hand, it may well be that most men and women simply prefer trousers; definitely an impression one gets when most women wear trousers all the time.
Last edited by Grok on Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I don't know how this might work out for men; perhaps fashion designers could invent a style. I haven't thought about this before. Kilt hose is the nearest thing to leggings that I have ever worn.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:Kilt hose is the nearest thing to leggings that I have ever worn.
The problem here is that "kilt hose" are the equivalent of knee-socks rather than what are more commonly known as "leggings" (spit!) which are footless tights. The two are not even tangentially related.

Depending on whim and local weather I'll either wear knee-socks (in varying weights) or outright tights (again in varying weights). If it's stupidly hot, I'll wear "low-profile" or "no-show" socks mainly because I don't like the feel of shoe-leather on my skin, but that's it. This goes for whether I'm wearing trousers or skirts.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I just want knee socks which will actually stay up! Kilt hose over the last couple of days, won't stay up and don't reach my knees even without the top unfolded and no garters. With garters it is the same story, until the elastic gives up in the garters. Maybe I am just the wrong shape!
I am certainly not going to do the tights thing, for me a skirt means no crotch and a sense of comfort and freedom, why would I then pull on a crotch and two tight legs?
It seems I will have to stick with long skirts or hairy naked legs! Still, I don't often have to look at them! :lol:
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Big and Bashful wrote: It seems I will have to stick with long skirts or hairy naked legs!
What's wrong with hair naked legs? Being skirted doesn't mean imitating women's fashion in all things.
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

Jim wrote:
Big and Bashful wrote: It seems I will have to stick with long skirts or hairy naked legs!
What's wrong with hair naked legs? Being skirted doesn't mean imitating women's fashion in all things.
There's nothing wrong with hairy legs, but at the same time choosing to remove leg-hair doesn't mean that person is trying to imitate a woman. It's a personal thing, in the same way as having a beard/moustache or being clean shaven is a personal choice.

And although women tend to have less leg/body hair than men, there are plenty of women who do have leg-hair and who choose to keep it.

So - if you want to keep your leg hair, that's fine, but please don't accuse those who choose to remove it as 'imitating' women or their fashions.
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Stevie D wrote:[...There's nothing wrong with hairy legs, but at the same time choosing to remove leg-hair doesn't mean that person is trying to imitate a woman...
Agreed. Watch any male bare-legged sport on television and you'll hardly ever see leg hair. Swimming, running, basketball, track, bicycling, all clean shaven. And no one accuses any of those athletes of cross-dressing.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Big and Bashful wrote:...I am certainly not going to do the tights thing, for me a skirt means no crotch and a sense of comfort and freedom, why would I then pull on a crotch and two tight legs?[...]
Same here. I keep searching for a pair of heavy opaque crotchless tights or leggings but no go. I can find heavy opaque or sheer crotchless but not the combination. And the prices are often sky-high.

I've considered cycling and running tights but I don't want a shiny Lycra look or brand names or other decorations -- just flat black. And none of local cycling or running shops say they'll have stock until the start of winter. I've tried Amazon but it's hard to tell whether the texture is shiny or matte, and $80-100 for a pair of tights seems excessive for the use I'd make of them.
Last edited by crfriend on Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quoting -- CRF
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Looking at an old fashion trend.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:Looking at an old fashion trend.
I really need to get myself one of those rigs, but without the pom-poms on the shoes. Those are just made of absolute unadulterated awesome. :)
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I find it interesting that the fustanella looks good, but appears quite different from kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:I find it interesting that the fustanella looks good, but appears quite different from kilts.
What's important to do in this case is to "back off" a little bit and cogitate on the notion of "looks good". Yes, ultimately, both fustanelles and kilts are skirts (although we don't like to admit the fact!) and they look good for different reasons. This fact should bring up the notion to the observant that skirts can -- and do -- work remarkably well on blokes, and we're not just speaking of the uber-formal costumes.

Quite by accident, on a one-day layover in New York City several years ago, Sapphire made sure to trot me around to assorted New York landmarks (which I am profoundly in her debt for -- and there are stories in that, too!) including a visit to the main branch of the public library system there which just happened to have a "men in skirts" presentation going on (which was a rotten shame as I was wearing trousers at the time because it was bloody cold!). Kilts and fustanelles figured prominently as exemplars, although I could have been one if I showed up "appropriately attired". (Ah, the missed opportunities of a lifetime!)

The "luck of the Irish" (I'm more Irish than Greek) is likely with me if I want to acquire a proper fustanella -- I know several folks of Greek descent who visit "The Old Country" at least once per year and who likely would have leads on where to acquire such a rig. Perhaps I should enquire of them.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

It looks to be quite expensive but less so than a traditional kilt...

http://www.greekshops.com/Apparel_and_A ... 001&ug=209
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels