Meggings

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Meggings

Post by Sinned »

Hot off the press! Just watching a spot on BBC1's Breakfast about Meggings - leggings for men. One step farward? I noticed that the guy being interviewed was wearing conventional red trousers.

Sinned
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Different_Trains
Distinguished Member

Re: Meggings

Post by Different_Trains »

r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

More on Meggins aka leggings aka tights & pantyhose !?!
LINK:
http://shine.yahoo.com/the-thread-how-t ... 00978.html

Ah so damn much negativism !!!!!

"Skirt-Kilt-ON"
rma
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

r.m.anderson wrote:More on Meggins aka leggings aka tights & pantyhose !?!
The whole look of "leggings" is so 1980s that it makes me want to hoot up my dinner. They were bad on women in the '80s, they're bad on women now, and they'll be bad on men who want to adopt the look. Face it, tights do not work well on anybody as pants (intercontinental meaning/slang "confusion" completely intended) unless they're either starlets or have a perfect body-type -- and 99.99% of us do not have the "perfect" body-type as portrayed by the press. I am proudly in that bottom 0.001%.

Note that I am not slagging off on legwear as accessory at all. In fact I am a big advocate of it in the context of skirted looks. Proper legwear can absolutely enhance the overall appearance of a skirted rig and can provide extra warmth during the times when it's cold outdoors. Footless tights/"leggings" I have always found to be either ridiculous or tragic if worn with shoes that expose the lower bound -- without exception. To my mind a skirted look needs a clean line to the leg; kilt hose are fine with kilts and knee-length looks, but aside from that aesthetic putting the "cut" anywhere else spells disaster (or the mark of a tragic "fashion victim").
Ah so damn much negativism !!!!!
In my opinion, perfectly justified.

For sports, yes, but for dress situations no.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

The LAME CONCEPT of adding an "M" to the name of all women's items that men wear makes me sick. For example, leggings are meggings, a purse is a murse. Why don't we add a "W" to any male items that women use? Using this rationale, a backpack which is typically a male item should be called a "Wackpack" when it is used by women. If a woman wears a tie, it should be called a "wie". The mass media is our worst enemy with a tongue-in-cheek attitude of poking fun of men that choose to step out of their very small fashion box. We need to tell them that we are sick of it.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

So jamie001,

A woman's jacket would be a wacket, trousers, wrousers, pants, wants, waistcoats wouldn't change. Anything else?

Sinned
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

Whoes and wocks?
Or ... wummerbund and wankerchief ... :oops:

No, I don't think we need new names for old things.
Martin
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

couyalair wrote:Whoes and wocks?
No, I don't think we need new names for old things.
Martin, basically I aggree. But perhaps a M-skirt wasn't that bad, after all.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

jamie001 wrote:The LAME CONCEPT of adding an "M" to the name of all women's items that men wear makes me sick. For example, leggings are meggings, a purse is a murse. Why don't we add a "W" to any male items that women use? Using this rationale, a backpack which is typically a male item should be called a "Wackpack" when it is used by women. If a woman wears a tie, it should be called a "wie". The mass media is our worst enemy with a tongue-in-cheek attitude of poking fun of men that choose to step out of their very small fashion box. We need to tell them that we are sick of it.
I so agree. That is REALLY a lame concept! If a man has moobs, does he wear a mra? I would rather describe myself as carrying a purse, and wearing a bra since I have boobs.

[Added section]
I would also like to add it is also LAME for men who wear items traditionally worn by women to try to make themselves "pass" as women - even to the point of trying to sound like women when they talk and to walk like women. [Yet added again] I also add that I am a basso profundo and have absolutely NO interest in sounding like a woman.

John
Last edited by JohnH on Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

It's a bad word that should be banned. We have legs too, so they're leggings. When I first saw the word I thought of using a megohmmeter, or megger!
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

The word "meggings" reminds me of the old Seinfeld episode where Kramer to sell bras for men by renaming it the "bro".

However, if it helps to blur the gender based barriers regarding clothing options then I'm good with it.

A decade ago these "meggings" were being (and continue to be) marketed to cyclists and runners as tights.

Yesterday on "Good Morning America" they did a segment on trends for 2013. Meggings made the segment. Of note was their weather guy Sam Champion, making the comment regarding what he referred to as the "rear view" and one of the Buckingham making making the suggestion of going with a long shirt or doing what anya did, wear a skirt with it.

The video segment can be seen at:
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/2012-tr ... 3-18107140

The meggings part is about is about 2 minutes in.
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

I don't see anything wrong with them, if you have great legs flaunt them
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

Neither do I.
In fact I've have a several pairs of runner's tights that have seen occasional use for about a decade and a half. Only more recently have I gone and supplemented them with examples from places like Fashion Bug and the like.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

I dont have any Meggings but I do have and wear leggings.
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

I really like "wankerchief"! Says it all.