Where is the best place to buy tights?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
chogan1975

Post by chogan1975 »

Most of the tights I have seen are for smaller aka women, most of what i have found is smaller women not men size. Any suggestions?
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Where is the best place to buy tights?

Post by Ray »

Well, you are based in the USA so I can't really give you the usual sources in the UK that I use!

If you want mens hosiery then Activskin is a good website to visit. They make hosiery for men and the fit is particularly good (although you need to look at womens hosiery for better quality). Activskin legwear is also hard wearing.

Good luck.

Ray
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

Walmart or similar---choose LARGE or Extra Large. Go by the waist and height on the packet. NO need to pay over the top for so called mens tights.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Gregg

Not all mens' legwear is expensive. Doyeah make good tights for around £6.50 which is competitive with womens' hosiery of similar quality. Legwear for Men have a good range of mens' legwear. I take your point that womens' hosiery tends to be cheaper but I don't think tights designed anatomically for men should be ruled out.
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

I would rather pay £3 for 5 pairs, than £6.50 for one, thanks.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Gregg1100 wrote:I would rather pay £3 for 5 pairs, than £6.50 for one, thanks.
That's a better price than I can find around here! Sheer tights usually go for about $2.50 to 3.00 per and good opaques easily run into double-digits. That, and they're getting tough to find as the gals usually go bare-legged or wear trousers these days. I suspect they'll be almost unobtanium in another five years or so.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
chogan1975

Post by chogan1975 »

I found tights and leggings for pretty cheap at a local store called gordmans, but they are a little tight. I will find a larger size at a different store.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I rarely pay less than £5 on a pair on the basis of quality / getting what you pay for, but each to his own.
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

Never had any problems with cheapo tights. They get worn, washed, worn again and again. If one gets laddery, get get another pair out.
Use the old ones for filtering liquids, or a bank job. :D
Either way, 10 pairs at £6 is better value to me than 1 pair at £5+, but as you said, it's your choice.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Gregg1100 wrote:If one [pair of tights] gets laddery, get get another pair out. Use the old ones for filtering liquids, or a bank job. :D
You, sir, would make for an abject fashion disaster at a heist! Have you no pride? :mrgreen:
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Well now, if Gregg is into Bank heists you'd think he could afford to invest in a decent pair to wear on the job. A ladder might just reveal that unmistakable scarface!...and as for filtering liquids, drinking water don't look too good with tadpoles in it.....not for guests, anyway.

T.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

Haha. All I can say is give them a try. Just try and match your height and width to what it says on the box, lol.
They work for me.
guyinnadress

Post by guyinnadress »

If you are in the UK, Tesco are good for opaque (L or XL) and Asda do a very good economy 15 denier (I think they were 5 pairs for £3.50, but it was a while ago now). And the previous size advice is worth bearing in mind
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Frankly, I regard 15 deniers & the like as a total no-no for blokes. What we need are tough opaques with high denier numbers like 80 to 200 for wearing in cold conditions, which curiously enough have occured here within living memory!

Sensible colours, of course and no fancy patterns to lead the eye of the beholder downwards.

T.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote:Frankly, I regard 15 deniers & the like as a total no-no for blokes. What we need are tough opaques with high denier numbers like 80 to 200 for wearing in cold conditions, which curiously enough have occured here within living memory!

Sensible colours, of course and no fancy patterns to lead the eye of the beholder downwards.
I find that it varies with the setting one is in and the style one is wearing. I'm a fan of fairly heavy opaques during the winter, but I do not shy away from colour; I have reds, purples, greens and pinks as well as the more mundage grey, off-white, and black. However, those look silly when paired with some of my finer skirts and in semi-formal settings I just don't think bare legs look good so then I'll go for sheers -- like I did at Sapphire's reunion. I also have fishnets for when I'm feeling silly.