What do you wear on your legs with skirts

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Sam

Re: What do you wear on your legs with skirts

Post by Sam »

OH yes, sure, last sunday my girlfriend and I went to the Veluwe, this is a woodland county in the middel of the Netherlands. There was a lot of wind (fortunately no rain) but emperatures werde below 10. I combined my grey skirt with a pair of 50 den grey fantasy tights. Fantastic! Very comfortable!
skirtilator
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtilator »

I'd also take issue with any woman in my office who does not wear hosiery with her skirts in summer. It's unprofessional. If she hates legwear that much, she can wear trousers.
That's right and don't forget about a deap cleavage and skin tight pvc micro mini skirt, anything else is unprofessional, cuz guys need their preferences met. :lol: By your standard, a burka was the perfect business outfit for women. :roll:
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

"Ed Masry: In a law firm you may want to re-think your wardrobe a little.
Erin Borckovich: Well, as long as I have one ass instead of two I'll wear what I like if that's all right with you. You might want to re-think those ties."

Classic, classic.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

skirtilator wrote:
I'd also take issue with any woman in my office who does not wear hosiery with her skirts in summer. It's unprofessional. If she hates legwear that much, she can wear trousers.
That's right and don't forget about a deap cleavage and skin tight pvc micro mini skirt, anything else is unprofessional, cuz guys need their preferences met. :lol: By your standard, a burka was the perfect business outfit for women. :roll:
My, you ARE on your high horse, aren't you?

I need to enlighten you. In my profession, there is an expected standard of appearance. Our clients set that. Sometimes that changes. Sometimes our clients prefer us to be more dressed down. In these situations, we comply. In most situations, it's a suit. Now lets look at the amount of exposed flesh exhibited by the men. Hmm. Not a lot apart from a racy undone button on a shirt. Now lets look at women shall we? With a trouser suit and a blouse, it's similar to the guys. With a skirt, that's a lot of leg. Uncovered, I find that rather casual. The legs are uncovered. Guys retain socks all year round. It's really not that hard to wear hosiery if wearing a skirt. I used to wear shorts as part of a military uniform. I wore knee high socks. Again, legs were relatively unexposed.

As for comments about wearing a burqa or (in an earlier post) changing job, both suggest that you have a tenuous grasp on reality. I'm sure that is not the case.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Ray wrote:In my profession, there is an expected standard of appearance. Our clients set that. Sometimes that changes. Sometimes our clients prefer us to be more dressed down. In these situations, we comply. In most situations, it's a suit.
In this case, I find myself solidly in Ray's camp.

Some professions, for various societal reasons, are expected to display some level of gravitas, and one of the ways that's done is through dress. This usually means a suit of one kind or other. Women do get to choose trousers or skirts, but in a formal setting legwear is usually expected as part of the formal rig. We can bemoan this until the cows are not only home but asleep, but it won't change anything; if we choose such a profession, then we also choose to adhere to the expectations of said profession.

Personally, having worked in workplaces that lacked any sort of dress-code at all, I think I'd prefer some limits on what's acceptable in the workplace. Wear what you want to at home, but in the workplace please do try and show at least some pride.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

In general, I think workplace dress codes get over-emphasized. For example, I recently learned of a telephone call center that prohibits shorts, as if the callers can see over the phone what the operator is wearing. The company explanation is that it leads to a more professional workplace but this is Phoenix, AZ, where summer temperatures often exceed 110 degrees. People wear shorts virtually anywhere.

There's also a weird piece of pseudo-logic that goes, "I don't care what you wear, but our customers do, and here's what I think they want," as if that were precisely known. In general, there's no need to dress better than the customers do, or perhaps one notch up.

As to women wearing tights, pantyhose, or stockings, I suppose some of that is local custom. Here in Phoenix, it's extremely rare to see woman wearing any of them as business attire, even in public professional occupations like law and medicine. But again, dress codes are definitely looser here than in the eastern US where they don't have to cope with the higher temperatures.

I did notice a young woman wearing black, lace-patterned pantyhose under short shorts recently, but that was at a hockey game, not at work.

There also seems to be a style of wearing opaque tights as outerwear -- that is, without anything over them except maybe a long t-shirt. But again, that's that's mostly casual.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

There also seems to be a style of wearing opaque tights as outerwear -- that is, without anything over them except maybe a long t-shirt. But again, that's that's mostly casual.
Some women are confused about leggings and tights they are not the same thing.
I like the leggings look on a woman if she has the right build, but tights are just too thin and often you can see more than the woman really wanted to show.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

phathack wrote:
Some women are confused about leggings and tights they are not the same thing.
I like the leggings look on a woman if she has the right build, but tights are just too thin and often you can see more than the woman really wanted to show.
Actually there is a third factor here: 1) Leggings 2)Tights 3)Hosiery

Leggings are made of more heavy weight fabric than tights
Tights are made of more dense opaque fabric than pantyhose (aka hosiery nylons)
Then there is hosiery - nylons - pantyhose in the USA and tights in the UK
Pantyhose is hosiery with a panty sometimes sheer to waist or dark opaque colors
Hosiery can consist of thigh/knee high hose as well as ankle sox - thigh high same thing as hold-ups (UK) ?

The first two - Leggings and Tights can be worn sans an outer garment covering but care must be taken with white light pastel colors to avoid too much
transparency. As for the pantyhose unless it is completely opaque a definite faux pas if worn just alone - leaves not much to the imagination !

Any of the above can be worn under a skirt - a matter of judgment - the leggings would normally be under a tunic like garment. Leggings because of their
weight also would be suitable for extreme winter wear under skirts but women of today would just as soon wear pants.

Nylons and pantyhose were the rage a few years back and now just a passing fancy. Leggings are what is the norm today.
Leggings come in all kinds of colors and patterns with accessory detailing rivets; studs; bling contrasting sewn stitches and seaming etc.
Some have faux and real pockets. Some have belt loops. Generally they are a pull on design (elastic waist band) and a fly closure is of a faux design.
And granted the tightness of these garments does compliment the female form more than the male but that is written from a male point of view.
Some women are just as apt to enjoy the male anatomy in the same way. But I am going to leave this venue and go somewhere else - the forum requires it !

Going somewhere else - LOL !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
skirtilator
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtilator »

I am quite happy with the extraordinarily longer thigh highs of sockdreams.com. They stay up with me as a tall guy of 194cm. :D
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Remember 1992? When Bill Clinton was running for President, a young lady on some college campus once asked him whether he wore boxers or briefs...the joke then became that the same question was asked of his opponent, Bob Dole; Dole's answer was "Depends..." . Anyway, that is my answer too, in a way, though not in the context of adult diapers, of course. As a rule, I go bare legged in any skirt shorter than ankle length. This relegates leg wear therefore to the cooler months when I wear long denim and corduroy skirts. Standing, of course, my legs are not seen, but when seated, I do enjoy displaying a glimpse of colorful tight peeking from below my hem. Also, I like the feel of tights, but not the bother of needing to adjust them at some point during the day or evening. Too, tights afford one more opportunity to coordinate a style, and to make a statement. Some day I will be bold enough to wear tights with shorter skirts...
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

dillon wrote:Too, tights afford one more opportunity to coordinate a style, and to make a statement. Some day I will be bold enough to wear tights with shorter skirts...
They're definitely a plus on that first count! A few weeks ago I was at one of the local building-supply "big-box stores" to pick up an air-filter and, at the time was wearing one of my black tiered skirts with bright red tights and picked up a comment of, "I like your socks!" from one of the employees. Ten inches of hot red beneath a black does indeed "make a statement".

On the second point, all it takes is to work up the nerve and step out the door. Its' actually easier than stepping out in a skirt for the first time. Just remember to be confident and collected about things.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
timmi-harry

Post by timmi-harry »

I always prefer long boots... and they look nice on me- as my friends said.
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Well a humble electronics tech never ever had a dress code problem as long as the job was perfectly done!
Even in days overseas (from here) when a boss was worked for. These days I'm in some kind of a dress most of the time. Over the years I honestly have never got the impression anybody notices!
That's customers at the workhop here.
On the street for all through winter over the past several months I thrashed my wonderful Historical Emporium one. That does make a statement. Only glances have been with approval, even a touch of jealousy I detect! It got a really good outing at the local Indian Diwali Festival Of Light recently here in Auckland. Not a glance.
Yes, I think I need a nice long wine coloured one. With pockets. Not another Macabi though.

And no, there's nothing on my legs, but it never get's very cold here in Auckland.
Once we used to get the occasional frost, but I'm never up earliy enough. Always been, and continue to be, a night person.
Of late actually I've been wearing a black "tailored" just below the knee one for a change as the weather is really Summery lately. I bought another black one that I alredy had, because it was in their "end of season" sale. (I'ts looked upon as a winter skirt, and reappears each time). Normally they are $60.00 plus freight, but couldn't refuse another one for $20.00 all up! That's good to have, as the "expanding" waist of the other one has expanded from wearing over layers. So I have this one only for naked on! Very nice grip without the silk underneath.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

crfriend wrote:Women do get to choose trousers or skirts, but in a formal setting legwear is usually expected as part of the formal rig.
At my office (software company with older, conservative management) there was a lady who, well into her 40s, wore miniskirts with tights. I always thought she looked like a cheerleader; the tights certainly didn't make her outfit any more formal. I never did figure out if she was doing that because her managers liked the eye candy, or it helped boost sales, or she was just that clueless about professional attire.

Full disclosure: The above is somewhat ironic since I am an anti-authority rebellious aging hippie, but I'm not kidding when I say that I would find t-shirts and jeans less casual than what she wore.
Ralph!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Right now I am wearing black leggings by One Step Up beneath a black above-the-knee skirt by Woolrich. I love leggings in winter.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...