What do you wear on your legs with skirts

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What do you wear on your legs with skirts

Post by Fred in Skirts »

:lol: I wear my skin on my legs under my skirts. I find it too painful to try and replace it with any kind of fabric. :rofl: :hide:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

partlyscot wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:10 am I do find any kind of hosiery causes more disturbance in the force, compared to the skirts.
I think you are right here. While I'm sure you could find skirts that ruffle more feathers than hosiery, for the most part, hosiery seems like a bigger step.

Maybe it's the shaving/waxing associated with it... Or it's seen as a step into the lacey stuff and conjures thoughts of unmentionables. (I seem to remember hearing about a kid wearing opaque thigh highs with bows at the top to school with the tops showing, and getting in trouble for "wearing lingerie" to school. I think it was a girl. Just saying...)

Or maybe it's just that people get the "women are wearing pants now, why not men in skirts" argument, but hosiery still seems like a step too far.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Dust wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:54 pm
partlyscot wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:10 am I do find any kind of hosiery causes more disturbance in the force, compared to the skirts.
I think you are right here. While I'm sure you could find skirts that ruffle more feathers than hosiery, for the most part, hosiery seems like a bigger step.

Maybe it's the shaving/waxing associated with it... Or it's seen as a step into the lacey stuff and conjures thoughts of unmentionables. (I seem to remember hearing about a kid wearing opaque thigh highs with bows at the top to school with the tops showing, and getting in trouble for "wearing lingerie" to school. I think it was a girl. Just saying...)

Or maybe it's just that people get the "women are wearing pants now, why not men in skirts" argument, but hosiery still seems like a step too far.
I’m sorta on the fence with tights - and a bit of it is because of the thought of “unmentionables” - but they are a convenience. I also like the look of them and the idea of colors and such, but I do feel more comfortable bare legged. Except my leg hair causes all sorts of red bumps a day after being shaved, even though I exfoliate, so when I was wearing skirts to work I’d shave, be skirted that day and the next, then jeans for three days, rinse and repeat. Along with a ton of itching in between.

I do prefer opaque - 60 denier or higher - though I think I would be comfortable with as low as 40.

So... bare/shaved then opaque tights in the colder times.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:57 pm :lol: I wear my skin on my legs under my skirts. I find it too painful to try and replace it with any kind of fabric. :rofl: :hide:
In a sense this is right because the down side of hosiery is the vulnerability of hosiery to simple everyday things like cafe seats, furniture and the likes often snags a little - and then your hosiery has a ladder, and even if it is ladder-proof - which some are, you still get an imperfection in the colour and sheerness and its noticeable.... hosiery is quite fragile and is quite an inconvenience and an expense in that sense!

NZF
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Coder wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:07 pm Except my leg hair causes all sorts of red bumps a day after being shaved, even though I exfoliate, so when I was wearing skirts to work I’d shave, be skirted that day and the next, then jeans for three days, rinse and repeat. Along with a ton of itching in between.

I do prefer opaque - 60 denier or higher - though I think I would be comfortable with as low as 40.

So... bare/shaved then opaque tights in the colder times.
Having been through this struggle years ago - this is why waxing or permanent removal is so much better. Shaving and depilatories tend to cause thicker regrowth, which in turn aggravates the ingrowns and irritation issues.... and it goes on.

Waxing or Epilating leads to less regrowth - and finer regrowth over time. Best still is permanent removal as each treatment is cumulative and you can stop for a year and then have another - you don't loose progress. 6 treatments approx is all it takes to be hairless.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

nzfreestyler wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:21 pm Waxing or Epilating leads to less regrowth - and finer regrowth over time. Best still is permanent removal as each treatment is cumulative and you can stop for a year and then have another - you don't loose progress. 6 treatments approx is all it takes to be hairless.
I’m considering laser but $$$$. I am going to try epilating again. The last time was very painful, but that was a few years ago.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I don't have any choice, but 2, in what I wear on my legs. I must wear 20-30 mmHg
compression hose. It's either OTC(Over The Calf) or full - waist high - hose.
They are difficult to put on/take off, but the result is rewarding. My legs feel great :!:
So far, the DVT is under control - if not gone. I'm hoping to get a new 'scan' of my legs
this year. The process is slow but beneficial, health-wise.
I've been able to go from checking Warfirin* blood levels every 2 weeks to every 3 weeks.
Soon, hopefully, I'll be able to go to once a month blood testing.

*Warfirin is a blood thinner. I have to be careful when using sharp items as it takes
longer for the bleeding to stop, on this medication.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

It is $$ - but its cheaper if you look at how much it costs to keep your legs smooth by other means, and then the cost of treatment equals around 5 years of regular waxing etc. But then there's also the time saving of your own time - never having to shave/wax/epilate etc...

Also doing it to yourself is hard and hurts way more than going to the salon and having them do it. Its also a great reason to wear a skirt out...

NZF
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Uncle Al wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:39 pm I don't have any choice, but 2, in what I wear on my legs. I must wear 20-30 mmHg
compression hose. It's either OTC(Over The Calf) or full - waist high - hose.
They are difficult to put on/take off, but the result is rewarding. My legs feel great :!:
So far, the DVT is under control - if not gone. I'm hoping to get a new 'scan' of my legs
this year. The process is slow but beneficial, health-wise.
I've been able to go from checking Warfirin* blood levels every 2 weeks to every 3 weeks.
Soon, hopefully, I'll be able to go to once a month blood testing.

*Warfirin is a blood thinner. I have to be careful when using sharp items as it takes
longer for the bleeding to stop, on this medication.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Hey thats good news that you are getting health benefits from hosiery!
I must say whenever I see 'DVT' it makes me think of Dita Von Tease lingerie brand that I like! Ha - silly me.
I think air hostesses wear certain hosiery only for this reason too - I bought some Quantas cabin crew endorsed hosiery from a brand called Ambra recently and they were a great stocking option - quality and a firm yet sheer effect.

cheers
NZF
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

nzfreestyler wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:43 pm It is $$ - but its cheaper if you look at how much it costs to keep your legs smooth by other means, and then the cost of treatment equals around 5 years of regular waxing etc. But then there's also the time saving of your own time - never having to shave/wax/epilate etc...

Also doing it to yourself is hard and hurts way more than going to the salon and having them do it. Its also a great reason to wear a skirt out...

NZF
Well, my barber retired and a place near my work does it all - cut hair and laser treatments among other things. I figured I’d stop in and see what their hair cutting process is and casually ask about the leg stuff. A bit anxious so I’ve been avoiding it, but my hair is going to start getting out of hand soon and I won’t have a choice.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

In terms of legs - I used to get a full leg and bikini line wax - it took a little over an hour to be waxed.

It worked out to be around 6 X waxing cost for each IPL/VPL treatment. (if that helps). Likely you get better pricing than we do here cause a lot of our stuff here is a total rip-off!

When they do it for you there's no dithering etc and it hardly hurts and is quick. I used to go in after work ( and I still do for nails etc ) but just take a looser a-line skirt or loose shorts/pants and low vamp shoes/flip flops for when you leave.

cheers
NZF
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

nzfreestyler wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:58 pm It worked out to be around 6 X waxing cost for each IPL/VPL treatment. (if that helps). Likely you get better pricing than we do here cause a lot of our stuff here is a total rip-off!
Not sure - the place that is convienent is $395 USD per session. They say 4-8 sessions, every 6 weeks. IF I start skirt wearing full time I will do it.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

sounds right.
waxing is typically 4 weekly and IPL/VPL is 6-8 weeks based on the hair growth cycles.
(only down side is you can't wax while getting IPL/VPL - so you must shave only, and you are best to not have a tan or try to get tanned while getting IPL/VPL)

A lot of people do IPL/VPL in winter each year - and go hairless over 2 years - by doing it in 2 phases.

And yes from experience its so much easier if you want bare legs hairless to do this

cheers
NZF
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

nzfreestyler wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:11 pm
Fred in Skirts wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:57 pm :lol: I wear my skin on my legs under my skirts. I find it too painful to try and replace it with any kind of fabric. :rofl: :hide:
In a sense this is right because the down side of hosiery is the vulnerability of hosiery to simple everyday things like cafe seats, furniture and the likes often snags a little - and then your hosiery has a ladder, and even if it is ladder-proof - which some are, you still get an imperfection in the colour and sheerness and its noticeable.... hosiery is quite fragile and is quite an inconvenience and an expense in that sense!

NZF
I buy decent quality opaque hose at discount stores. In the last few years I've had very few snags or runs, and I don't treat them gently! By the time I have to retire them, I've had the equivalent of at least several weeks of wear.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I think my 7,10 and 15 deniers might b a little fragile? I am used to stockings but its always cafe seats or meeting room tables/chairs that snag me...