What do you wear on your legs with skirts

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What do you wear on your legs with skirts

Post by skirtingtheissue »

Man in a skirt wrote:for me (personal choice) I prefer long skirts, and nothing underneath (unless it's winter and I'm wearing slips). Socks and shoes (or boots) or bare feet in sandals, just depends on the weather. I wear what I'd wear if I was in pants. To me the point of a skirt is the freedom, so why wear something underneath?
My thoughts exactly, except for length, as I like different lengths at different times. With nothing underneath, there's that feeling of all that air flow and the caresses of the skirt material.

And do you mean true slips (shoulder straps), or half-slips? Of course each of those also helps with the cleanliness issue, as slips would mean less frequent laundering of the skirt.
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Yep, nothing underneath for me as well, knee length to ankle length skirts. I do have a couple of underskirts and sometimes use them, I found that rivets in denim skirts can feel cold.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Not being into long skirts below my knees the ambient temperature is the decider for me. I'd place the boundary for bare legs at around 20 deg. C./68 Fahrenheit, below which I'm reaching for a nice pair of warm tights....Not the sort that end half-way down the calf I think they're horrid!

T.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Nothing on the legs or between them, but I find that the light cotton skirt does benefit from something to bulk it out. It covers the smaller heavier cotton knit dresses though, so one of those under that skirt, with a t-shirt is ideal.
As underwear here I have Silkbody singlet dress (baselayer) and long old light cotton t-shirt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
N0HEQ

Post by N0HEQ »

Nothing, not even hair. Skirts are about comfort. Why destroy that with any kind of leg wear that can easily to snagged? If it gets cold, just wear a longer skirt. Real simple.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

What do you wear on your legs with skirts
Sometimes Kilt socks, sometimes a couple of bags for filling with live worms, live or dead minnows, extra rolls of line, spare hooks or leaders...depending on what I'm fishing for and whether I'm wading or fishing in salt or fresh water.. Usually a live bait bucket for live minnows..When I go wade fishing in less than 2 feet of water I always use live bait for snook or sheepshead, or sometimes a pound or two size porgies. I have several skirts made of Carl's fav, Denim box pleat, knee length skirts and a "Jungle Bunny" hat for keeping the sun off my head in the Summer. :faint: :faint:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

N0HEQ wrote:Nothing, not even hair. Skirts are about comfort. Why destroy that with any kind of leg wear that can easily to snagged? If it gets cold, just wear a longer skirt. Real simple.
Fair point, but what if you find legwear to be very comfortable?
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

N0HEQ wrote:Nothing, not even hair. Skirts are about comfort. Why destroy that with any kind of leg wear that can easily to snagged? If it gets cold, just wear a longer skirt. Real simple.
I agree. It gets somewhat chilly here in winter, with rain, hail, wind and stuff, but I just pull on one of those great Macabi skirts over a heap of dresses and I'm ready for anything.
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Sheer compression hose, 20-30mm. I'm supposed to wear 30-40mm, but those are difficult to put on and remove.

I have congenital varicose veins; I've had two vein-stripping operations, and I'm obliged to wear my medical-grade "tight socks" whenever I'm not laying down. The tightness helps minimize blood pooling in the legs. Without compression hose, my legs quickly become puffy and fatigued.

I'm fortunate to live in the extremely liberal Silicon Valley, so I can wear a skirt & hose full-time. Sadly, skirts are very rare here; everybody wears jeans and T-shirts.

stuart
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

The warmest my legs have been was with an ankle length skirt and an 8 layered petticoat. Bulky but ever so warm! I just couldn't bring myself to wear it with an audience!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Big and Bashful wrote:The warmest my legs have been was with an ankle length skirt and an 8 layered petticoat. Bulky but ever so warm! I just couldn't bring myself to wear it with an audience!
It's worth recalling that practical petticoats are not necessarily meant to be seen but to alter the bahaviour of the outer skirt that is "on display". They make very long and full skirts much more wearable. I find them almost indespensible with my very long skirts.

Where'd you find an 8-layer? I could have used one of those earlier today! It's 0 degrees C with wind and junk coming from the sky; I would much rather have been indoors.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

It was a one off, on EBay. It was a struggle finding one which goes round my 44" waist, it sort of does but really needs the top bit re-making with a larger waistband. When they said it went to 44" they were stretching the truth. Literally.
This was my second attempt at buying a petticoat, the first was a three layer which was way too small at the waist, the lying swines!
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Interesting viewpoints. I am still getting my head around the idea of wearing a skirt ( kilt even ) in public. When I wear them at my GF's place, I find it more comfortable to wear stockings, heavy stay ups or thigh highs from comfilon. I don't like wearing tights, or pantyhose, if you will, but I still like the smooth feeling on my legs, hence the thigh highs. After a while though, the elastic starts to bug me, so will be buying a pair of the stocking and suitable garter to give that a try. My problem will be when I start to wear this stuff outside, specifically, at work. I get changed in a locker room, I'm pretty certain the kilt will be no problem, fairly certain about a suitable skirt, and I don't think management will actually balk at the stockings. But getting changed in the locker room?.....
Vince5680

Post by Vince5680 »

vital99 wrote:I perfer to wear hoisery, either pantyhose or preferbly tights with skirts as wearing socks look out of place, even on a male. Also wearing hoisery with skirt is more dressy and classy. I also find wearing tights is comfortable and a more natural feeling, and makes my legs look better.
What say others??

I totally agree.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

My ranking:
1) knee high socks from the women’s department, over-knees folded down below the knees from the women’s department, or regular kilt hose. Somehow women’s sock will stay better up by themselves than kilt hose?
2) men’s regular short socks
3) kind of half slip - or simply commando
4) underpants if advisable for decency reasons
5) non-transparent tights/leggings at low temperatures and will then replace 1, 2, 3, and 4.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.