What do you wear on your legs with skirts

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
vital99

What do you wear on your legs with skirts

Post by vital99 »

I perfer to wear hoisery, either pantyhose or preferbly tights with skirts as wearing socks look out of place, even on a male. Also wearing hoisery with skirt is more dressy and classy. I also find wearing tights is comfortable and a more natural feeling, and makes my legs look better.
What say others??
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: What do you wear on your legs with skirts

Post by crfriend »

What I wear on my legs depends primarily on the millieu I am going to be functioning in and what the local temperature is. In very casual settings (e.g. out sailing) I will be bare-legged; in settings where more decorum is expected I will don some type of legwear that will be appropriate to setting and the hem-length of the skirt I'm wearing.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

With the hot weather in Dallas, Texas, USA I cannot imagine wearing anything on my legs. I do shave my legs however.

John
Davy

Post by Davy »

My legs are always bare. Seems kind of silly to wear a skirt and then put something on underneath it, and in the summer it is downright uncomfortable. In the winter I am more likely to wear a long skirt than a short one with some sort of tights or panty hose. I don't think regular socks look at all out of place with a skirt; afterall, I am wearing men's shoes, so men's socks seem like the logical choice. Now if I were really trying to look as much like a woman as possible (which I am not), then I suppose pantyhose would make sense. Ditto for shaving legs. Shaving legs just seems way too much bother; men who wear shorts never shave their legs so why should wearing a skirt or dress change that? The only pair of pantyhose I own is part of a halloween costume.
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

For my part, I wear socks of a nature to suit the climate, and from there upwards, the hair growing on my skin :) - we won't go further-suffice to say, I enjoy freedom around my legs and see stockings or tights to be contrary to my philosophy regarding mens' skirts. However, if it is very cold and I am not wearing trousers, I may have long johns under a floor length slitless skirt.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I don't really wear skirts out and about, but when I did, I wore sheer flesh hosiery. With my kilts, which I do wear out and about, I always wear socks with my trad kilt, and frequently sheer flesh hosiery with my more modern ones. With sarongs, nothing on the legs - it's too warm!

My legs are shaved. They look much better that way, and clothing feels much nicer too. The world is used to men with shaved legs so I'm not alone in wearing shorts with smooth pins. Each to their own though. Just one point, Davy - having shaved legs in no way makes you look like a woman. Try suggesting that to several sportsmen and you may regret it! Ditto hosiery. It's how you wear it, not the garment itself.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Knee-highs. Ranging from sheer nylon hosiery knee-highs when it's hot, to heavy wool kilt socks in the winter. Since I suffer from gout, I need to have some support for my joints. That is also why I usually have either athletic shoes or hiking boots on when I'm clothed. Helps with the feet. Since my skirts are knee-length or shorter, that does mean that there is some bare skin showing between the tops of the socks and the hem of the skirt. I do think that does help with the acceptance a bit, since people are more apt to think I'm wearing a kilt and not a skirt.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Depends on the temperature. Kilt + thick Knee-highs are a given. Pottering about in a short skirt I'll go (hairy) bare-legged. When it's cold and a skirt is in order (I never wear longer than knee-length) then thickish tights, either black or flesh-toned.

Nuff said. T.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

Kirbstone wrote:Depends on the temperature. Kilt + thick Knee-highs are a given. Pottering about in a short skirt I'll go (hairy) bare-legged.
Same here, though I've yet to feel the need for tights or leggings.

Martin
Davy

Post by Davy »

Ray wrote:Just one point, Davy - having shaved legs in no way makes you look like a woman. Try suggesting that to several sportsmen and you may regret it! Ditto hosiery. It's how you wear it, not the garment itself.
I agree that it is how you wear it and not the garment. But it is true that our culture does associate pantyhose (very much so) and shaved legs (perhaps a bit less) with women. Of course that doesn't make it right, but it is still true, none-the-less. Personally I find pantyhose uncomfortable, but I certainly didn't mean to criticize anyone else who thinks otherwise. I also think it looks silly in the hot weather on men or women, but, again that's just my opinion.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

couyalair wrote:
Kirbstone wrote:Depends on the temperature. Kilt + thick Knee-highs are a given. Pottering about in a short skirt I'll go (hairy) bare-legged.
Same here, though I've yet to feel the need for tights or leggings.

Martin
Certainly not down there in Andalucia, Martin ! Would that I could live there. I'm a bare legs person too.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Personally, I believe wearing "any" kind of "pants" under a skirt negates the reason to wear a skirt in the first place. Unless you're wearing fancy long underpants to look more feminine. And that's crossdressing, IMHO.
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
straightfairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by straightfairy »

Depends on the situation.
when about the house, I wear 'normal' office type socks, or none at all.
If going out, which usually means a kilt, I wear long socks to reduce the effect of skinny calves..
MrUtopia
Distinguished Member

Post by MrUtopia »

For me, in Australia, I do not wear kilts, only skirts. I wear the same with the skirts that I would with shorts or pants. If it is really cold, I wear leggins/tights under my pants and the same with skirts. In warmer weather it is either the same socks and shoes or no socks and sandals that I wear with shorts. My legs are the same whether I am wearing skirts or shorts.

Peter
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Davy, thanks for the response.

It may be that we come from different countries, but in the UK, shaved legs are not really much of an issue. Firstly very few people notice, and secondly, so many people cycle or do sports that involve leg shaving that it's almost becoming mainstream. Nobody bats an eyelid when I mention the fact (in passing, never as a bald statement).

I'd also take issue with any woman in my office who does not wear hosiery with her skirts in summer. It's unprofessional. If she hates legwear that much, she can wear trousers.

Final point re legwear negating the point of a skirt. Legwear can be very sheer and of course does come in guises such as stockings and hold ups. This can give a lovely glide to the legs, and can be pretty comfortable. Wearing a skirt can enhance that feeling so far from legwear negating the point of a skirt, it can sometimes justify a skirt.