What do you wear on your legs with skirts

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What do you wear on your legs with skirts

Post by JeffB1959 »

I don't know if I've already mentioned this here, but my legs are hairless and I never have had to shave, wax or do anything else to keep them nice and smooth. Must've been from genes inherited from my late mom. As for hosiery, I wear tights exclusively in the winter, usually nothing lower than 60 denier which is fairly tough, I even have 200 denier which is almost indestructible. However, in spring and summer, I go barelegged which I find to be a nicer look for me.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

NZF - My hose run approximately $20.00USD a pair & the waist-high about $40.00USD a pair.
DVT is an abbreviation for Deep Vein Thrombosis which are bloodclots in my legs.
I don't want any of them to 'break-off' and go to my heart or lungs. That could lead to a
PE(pulmonary embolizism) which would kill me.
Take care of your legs and watch your fat intake. Avoid foods that cause plaque buildup
in your veins and arteries.
I've eliminated about 90% of my salt intake. A low sodium diet is really the only way to go.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

I've tried tights but found I spent a lot of time hiking them up. Stockings are a lot of faff to put on. If anything I opt for bare unshaven legs with knee high socks. If it's hot no socks and sandals. Sometimes white ankle socks to stop my delicate feet from getting sunburned. As has been said elsewhere, I have no problem with hairy legs it's just a cultural preference for men and women in some parts
:roll:
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Uncle Al wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:39 pmI've been able to go from checking Warfirin* blood levels every 2 weeks to every 3 weeks. Soon, hopefully, I'll be able to go to once a month blood testing.

*Warfirin is a blood thinner. I have to be careful when using sharp items as it takes
longer for the bleeding to stop, on this medication.
Uncle Al :mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Warfirin is what I use to control the field mice that seem to get in the house in the colder months.
Very effective too!! Most mouse and rat poisons have Warfirin in them some a lot more that others so be careful when using it..
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Shilo wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:57 pm I've tried tights but found I spent a lot of time hiking them up. Stockings are a lot of faff to put on. If anything I opt for bare unshaven legs with knee high socks. If it's hot no socks and sandals. Sometimes white ankle socks to stop my delicate feet from getting sunburned. As has been said elsewhere, I have no problem with hairy legs it's just a cultural preference for men and women in some parts
Yes, I quite often have that sort of problem. I have a few pairs that don't fall down or strangle me. I use various techniques to combat that. Exercise shorts over them, sewn on heavier elastic waistband, or conversion to stockings. My all time favorites are thigh highs or stay ups, but finding good ones at a good price is next to impossible.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Dust wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:54 pm
partlyscot wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:10 am I do find any kind of hosiery causes more disturbance in the force, compared to the skirts.
I think you are right here. While I'm sure you could find skirts that ruffle more feathers than hosiery, for the most part, hosiery seems like a bigger step.

Maybe it's the shaving/waxing associated with it... Or it's seen as a step into the lacey stuff and conjures thoughts of unmentionables. (I seem to remember hearing about a kid wearing opaque thigh highs with bows at the top to school with the tops showing, and getting in trouble for "wearing lingerie" to school. I think it was a girl. Just saying...)

Or maybe it's just that people get the "women are wearing pants now, why not men in skirts" argument, but hosiery still seems like a step too far.
For the most part, I tend to stick with opaque stuff, and in my mind, it's not much different than wearing say, running tights.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

partlyscot wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:54 pm For the most part, I tend to stick with opaque stuff, and in my mind, it's not much different than wearing say, running tights.
That’s what has convinced me I don’t have anything to fear. Not to say I won’t try a 20d or 30d style sometime... but at least when it comes to opaques it feels like a “safe” choice.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Wait... we're supposed to shave/wax when we wear hosiery? I've been doing it all wrong!

I did go through a phase in my 20's when I shaved my legs on a regular basis, mostly for the shock effect on my girlfriend, but I quickly grew tired of the effort. My body hair tends to grow at an alarming rate, so it was taking me hours at a time, at least twice a week, to keep the stubble from being noticeable.

So now I get cheap cotton/spandex tights that can hold up to a bit of rough wear from hairy legs without ripping, or the occasional sheer style when I want something lighter and I don't mind the fact that it will shred to ribbons after a few uses.
Ralph!
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

I'm finding I wear hosiery these days where ever I'm in a Skirt or Dress and Knee High socks with Kilts.
In the heat of the summer I usually opt to go without hosiery as its just too hot for most hosiery that time of year.

My hosiery from sheer to patterned to opaque and I have settled on just two brands that work for me.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Mostly stockings or hold ups. Sometimes I just throw a pair of tights on, though I hate the "tights dance" when nature calls.
legz.jpg
I do shave my legs, even in winter so when it's warmer it's great to go without :mrgreen:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Well I am permanently smooth/hairless on my legs so its easy for me to do whatever - I usually go bare legs mostly but I do wear stockings - usually 7 to 10 denier. Sometimes as high as 15.

I had the treatments years ago after I looked at how much salon leg/bikini waxing was costing me. Never looked back!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Ralph, I've got a pair or two of those ribbed tights in black, burgundy and green. They are comfortable and last ages.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

this is a typical stocking for me. I mostly wear sheerer 10 deniers - sometimes a 15, mostly 10s, and some 7's.

hard pic to get my legs in at that mirror - and its a grubby mirror - mind you at least they're hand washing properly at work here now!!

cheers
NZF
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

What I wear with my skirts and dresses depends on the weather and where I'm going, but my default is Nude 20 denier pantyhose. Usually control top, not only for the slimming effect but also to be sure that my junk doesn't show. The first time I got slut-shamed (scolded really) by my fashion guru was when my nipples showed through a sundress I wore to church. That confirmed my feeling that no one wanted to see that uniquely male bulge in my skirts either.

I also prefer hose with at least 15% Spandex. That amount gives your legs support, so heels are more comfortable and such hose help to shape your legs. The Spandex in the hose and the higher denier numbers (less sheer) makes them more durable and therefore less likely to disintegrate when you try to yank them up (Those damn Y-chromosones refuse to be denied their due!) rather than gently tugged, one section at a time.

My other alternatives are black or colored hose to coordinate with my outfit and, especially during the Winter, tights. American/dance version.

If I'm just hanging around the house, I may wear knee socks or occasionally in the Summer, if I am going barelegged, some sort of no-show socks.

If you opt for pantyhose or tights, SHAVE YOUR LEGS! Or you'll spend all day hauling your hose up to where they belong. The reason being, nylon hose will slide off of leg hair but stick to bare skin. If you don't want to take my word for it, look for the advice of the hose manufacturers and fashion columns.

Since I brought up keeping pantyhose in place, another challenge I found early on is keeping the panty portion in place. Unless you have a defined waist (Few of us male types do and most of us older chaps have a definite gut, if not beer-belly.), then the waist band of your pantyhose are going to naturally drop to your hips, where there is a defined divot. The other place where the waistband will stay put is just below your chest, but getting the waistband to that point on your torso requires you bought high-waist hose. They're hard to find in the stores, but no problem on line.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I normally don't wear anything on my legs because of the heat, but now it is winter once again and I am trying to change from a fair-weather skirt wearer to an all weather stalwart.
I am going out for dinner tonight which is forcast to be 2C (typical for arid winter nights with low humidity and clear skies). In this situation I historically would wear pants but tonight there will be people there I have not met before so I have decided to wear a mini skirt and long knitted socks/stockings .............. so they won't get the wrong idea about me.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia