What do you wear on your legs with skirts

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What do you wear on your legs with skirts

Post by skirtyscot »

Ray wrote:I'd also take issue with any woman in my office who does not wear hosiery with her skirts in summer. It's unprofessional. If she hates legwear that much, she can wear trousers.
I think you might ruffle a few feathers there, Ray. It's not unusual for women to be bare-legged in the office on a hot summer's day. I've never known it to be considered a problem in any office I have worked in. And you, living in the south, must have more warm days, so there's more benefit to be had from bare legs.

What is unprofessional about it? (I have gone off that word, since it was used as a justification for stopping me from wearing a skirt to work on Dress Down Fridays. It's too subjective.)
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

To answer the original question, bare legs or short socks as often as possible. (I'm another person who doesn't see the problem with short socks - it seems to be OK to wear them with shorts so why not with a skirt?)

When it's cold, long skirt with long socks, or short skirt with thick tights - equally happy with either. Last winter I started off wearing long skirts, but gradually got into the idea of tights. Sometimes I got tired of having long skirts flapping around me, and thick tights can less draughty! Besides, tights open up another possibility, style-wise. I quite like having coloured, or even patterned, legwear. I have two pairs of Argyle tights (which Mrs SS hates, of course), one grey and the other blue.

On the question of comfort and whether tights defeat the point of wearing a skirt, if it's cold enough that you have to cover your legs with something, tights mean that you don't have to go back to trousers!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

The only non-skirt thing I wear on my legs when wearing a skirted garment is hair. I also wear underclothes in Winter when my legs get cold but not trousers of any kind. I wear various length and heaviness underskirts/petticoats depending on how cool the weather is. I go under the idea that if I was going to wear trousers for any reason, why wear a skirt? I prefer a skirt with or without an underskirt. Sometimes a pair of undershorts, preferably "Boxers". :D :D :D
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

It's an "underdressed" thing. It's like having a low cut top. Acres of flesh in an office is just distracting and in an aircon environment which most professions enjoy, not exactly practical either. I don't go bare legged in the office, nor do I display my toes (ugly things). Men look professional in their suits. I'm just asking women to reciprocate.

Please note that there are a huge number of occupations where formal business attire is not required. No problems with bare legs then - but I'd expect to be allowed to wear shorts (bare legged) to enjoy the same airy freedom. Like our SkirtedViking friend, I hate clothing hypocrisy and double standards.

I'm also one of the bosses so I set a good example! Im never bare legged in the office! ;-)
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Sheer tights, which I assume you let the women wear (but do correct me if I am wrong), scarcely hide the flesh. Are bare legs so very different?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Yes they are. Hosiery hides imperfections and flaws, and presents a smooth uniform appearance.

I should point out that I don't have a problem with women wearing trousers should they find the thought of hosiery repellent. I still get annoyed if they go bare footed (no socks/knee highs) as again, it's a bit slovenly. I know, I know, I may be in the minority on this but a surprising number of women in my office share my attitude.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Ray wrote:Yes they are. Hosiery hides imperfections and flaws, and presents a smooth uniform appearance.
[Tongue firmly in cheek]

This seems to imply that you would find acne unprofessional, unless the sufferer wears a bank robbers stocking mask :roll:

[/Tongue firmly in cheek]

Alternative answer: So does makeup; so is a failure to wear makeup unprofessional? Or would requiring employees to wear makeup constitute an unreasonable intrusion into their lives while demonstrating the prejudice of the enforcer? Or perhaps makeup on the legs could be used as an alternative to legwear... (Where is that a can of worms emoticon when I need it?)

On a more serious note (I should note that this is a general remark and is not addressed specifically to Ray) it seems remarkable to me that a forum dedicated to promoting an unusual styles of dress and advocating freedom from some of the unwritten rules, should contain such polarised opinions on another item of clothing. Surely we should expect some people to like legwear and others not to?

Personally I do not like wearing legwear, I'm not a fan of long socks, tights or trousers. I choose to wear skirts because I like the way they feel far more than I like closer fitting garments and exactly the same logic extends to my choice of accompanying legwear. Of course there are situations where my preference is inappropriate and then I tend to go with another option but I sincerely hope that people on this forum are capable of separating their opinion of clothing from their opinion of the individual wearing it.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Not really polarised positions, Ian. More a discussion - I am just getting Ray to defend his view!

But you have demonstrated that anyone's view on subjective matters like this can be taken to its logical conclusion, with ridiculous results.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Ian, fair point! Do bank robbers have acne? Discuss.

I'm all for fashion freedom - in our personal lives. In work time, I'm not for fashion freedom but I am for fashion equality. I hope the distinction is clear.

In professional life, we wear uniforms. For men, it's business suits. For women - well, it used to be business suits but that's been eroded somewhat. I am happy for fashion restrictions to be placed on people at work but these restrictions have to be fair and equitable.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Ray wrote:In professional life, we wear uniforms. For men, it's business suits. For women - well, it used to be business suits but that's been eroded somewhat.
The interesting thing here is that the "uniform" cost is quite a bit higher for women than it is for men, and all the while the women are making, perhaps, 80 cents on the dollar compared to the guys. A typical woman's business getup is a lot more complex than her male counterpart's, and some of it, e.g. hosiery, is ephemeral at best and can constitute a significant expense. On the face of it, is that not unfair?
I am happy for fashion restrictions to be placed on people at work but these restrictions have to be fair and equitable.
Indeed, and there are certain items of apparel I would like to see forbidden from the workplace. However, those are subjective to me and who am I to judge.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
N0HEQ

Post by N0HEQ »

Nothing. Not even hair. It is very easy to remain smooth with an epilator rather than by shaving. Bare legs get a much better looking tan. The feel of the sun & wind is far superior with smooth legs. Don't forget that women have even asked if they can feel my legs since they look so smooth. The few minutes with an epilator every two months is very well worth every second of that time.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Carl, fair points - which to me simply reinforce the need for equality - a level playing field.

N0HEQ - yes, having bare legs (shaved) is a fabulous tactile sensation. However for the hairier chaps, I would imagine that the hassle of shaving daily plus the ingrowing hairs etc would make shaved legs a non starter. Luckily I'm not that hairy. So yes, I can absolutely see the benefits of bare legs. I enjoy that same benefit when it's warm.

What I would say - echoed by some above - is that I'm not going to tell someone what they can or can't wear (outside of my office). It's like telling someone what music they ought to listen to. Thus, while I love the feel and looks of sheer hosiery, I'm not going to shove the point down people's necks. Chacun a son gout. If they like wearing jeans (which I hate) then I'm not going to say a word. Not one syllable. Why should I? They are happy. (ps I'm not so good on cars - very opinionated!)

Mind you, I don't expect to be judged in turn but I bet I am! It's not a problem for me.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Earlier I posted that I have bare shaved legs whenever I wear a skirt.

HOWEVER, what really reels good is when it is really cold is to wear pantyhose with a sweater dress. It sort of feels like pajamas with built in booties I remember so long ago as a toddler.

John
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

That depends on the weather and skirt style.

All summer long its been bear legs and sandals just like I would wear if I was wearing shorts.

As fall is arriving here in north Texas I will tend to dress up more, tights or leggings help to dress up a skirt and provide some warmth, with a Kilt knee-highs are the tradition.
Man in a skirt

Post by Man in a skirt »

for me (personal choice) I prefer long skirts, and nothing underneath (unless it's winter and I'm wearing slips). Socks and shoes (or boots) or bare feet in sandals, just depends on the weather. I wear what I'd wear if I was in pants. To me the point of a skirt is the freedom, so why wear something underneath?

One winter in Wisconsin, before I was "public" with my skirting, I would wear a long denim skirt with 2 slips underneath and go walk in the snow and 20 degree (F) weather. It was quite comfortable!