Make-up Guy

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Make-up Guy

Post by Daryl »

JeffB1959 wrote:I wear lipstick from time to time, infrequently at best, depending on my mood. I won't deny that I look better when I have color on my lips.
"Lipstick looks good on everyone" said one of my female friends. I don't necessarily agree but will say she's probably 95% right. I view it only as an effect, though, not as an improvement.

We had one girl at work who did very little else that was feminine. Her hair was always very short, even crew-cut in summer, but she frequently word red lipstick and it always "worked".
Daryl...
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Ugh, gonna have to provide the minority dissent on this one. I find makeup horribly unnatural - on men and women. From a distance it looks great, but up close it's like circus greasepaint, leaving stains on everything it touches and giving a surreal texture to the skin. Hate it, hate it, hate it.

I can tolerate nail polish since that at least dries so it doesn't leave a greasy residue, but that's about it. Blush, lipstick, mascara, eye liner, eye shadow... no thanks!
Ralph!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I think it all depends upon how much is applied. With makeup I think the less is more rule should apply. To be done properly makeup should appear invisible. My granddaughters, when first using it, did apply too thickly but now seem to be getting the hang of it and it appears much more natural. As for lipstick I think it would depend upon the shade used. Again I think lipstick should either be subtle or really in-your-face. Not sure if there's an in between. But then I'm not an expert and this is just my opinion.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Ralph wrote:Ugh, gonna have to provide the minority dissent on this one. I find makeup horribly unnatural - on men and women. From a distance it looks great, but up close it's like circus greasepaint, leaving stains on everything it touches and giving a surreal texture to the skin. Hate it, hate it, hate it.

I can tolerate nail polish since that at least dries so it doesn't leave a greasy residue, but that's about it. Blush, lipstick, mascara, eye liner, eye shadow... no thanks!
You remind me of a t-shirt I once saw. It was a smudgey but quite recognisable image of Tammy Faye Bakker with the caption "Guess who I ran into at the mall?"

My least favourite makeup in the "too greasy" department is lip makeup. Females are applying two layers now, with the top layer being wet looking gloss and sometimes metallic, with a third component being an outline. They always look ridiculous and tasteless to me, like they didn't know when to stop or thought that more is always better. Add a bulbous red nose and oversized shoes to complete the look, I say.
Daryl...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Daryl wrote:You remind me of a t-shirt I once saw. It was a smudgey but quite recognisable image of Tammy Faye Bakker with the caption "Guess who I ran into at the mall?"
Q: "What did they find when they finally able to remove Tammy Faye Bakker's makeup?"
A: "Jimmy Hoffa."

Done in extreme moderation it can look quite good; done poorly, however, the result can be positively ghastly. The point is to enhance, not bury.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I believe an older person should use a subdued natural color of lipstick. Also I don't think any orangish lipstick looks good on anyone.
I see old men with colorless lips that could stand some lipstick.

John
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Should you choose to wear lipstick, you should make the effort to ensure that the shade is appropriate for your skin color, whether you’re fair skinned or dark skinned like me, that way, you avoid looking silly or foolish. If you can’t figure that out on your own, go to a makeup counter at a department store and ask for help.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

crfriend wrote:
Daryl wrote:You remind me of a t-shirt I once saw. It was a smudgey but quite recognisable image of Tammy Faye Bakker with the caption "Guess who I ran into at the mall?"
Q: "What did they find when they finally able to remove Tammy Faye Bakker's makeup?"
A: "Jimmy Hoffa."

Done in extreme moderation it can look quite good; done poorly, however, the result can be positively ghastly. The point is to enhance, not bury.
You said that so efficiently I thought a taxonomy was an appropriate response. There seems to be four kinds of makeup wearers.

The first kind is the largest group, I think, and they are the ones who use it to enhance. Enhancers often do that so well that you can't tell they are wearing any makeup and may only discover it the one day they decide to go without. They want others to see their natural faces only more ideal. Makeup is not much work for enhancers.

The second kind uses makeup for augmentation. Augmenters add things their faces don't actually have, like more prominent cheeks, deeper eyes (including black outlined eyes), or highly emphasised lips. They want others to see their natural faces plus some additions they find appealing or artful. Makeup is fun for augmenters, however much work they put into it.

The third kind uses makeup to replace their own faces. Replacers use a full foundation, filling all cracks and hiding all blemishes until they have a smooth regular canvas upon which they can draw the face they want. Replacers want others to see that face always, never the face they have once their makeup is off. Makeup is a lot of work and worry for replacers.

Makeup wearers of the fourth kind are like the third kind plus the second kind. They are costumers and may often be chased by immigration authorities as extraterrestrials. Sometimes their hair is in colours that don't ordinarily exist in nature, and other objects may adorn or frame their faces as well as their whole bodies. Costumers would include Mimi in the Drew Carey Show.

It's downright spooky that as I finished this the episode of the Drew Carey Show where they did a Rocky Horror Picture Show versus Priscilla Queen of the Desert number popped up on the TV.
Daryl...
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

As an existing customer, I’ve recently been invited to review products for a prominent high-street department store. In their selection questionnaire, designed to reveal my interests, I was surprised by one of the categories.

By indicating that I am ‘Male’, the questionnaire was tailored towards possible Male interests. One surprise section was on my interest in cosmetics. Besides asking about my skin type, it continued in asking if I used foundation, lipstick, eyeshadow etc.

I couldn’t resist ticking all the boxes. It will be interesting to discover if they ask me to subsequently review such items.

This is a store that stocks/displays ‘children’s’ clothes rather than segregating such clothes into those for boys or girls.
randyGA

Post by randyGA »

I find this wired lol :shock: :lol:
I never did makeup in my life
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

randyGA wrote:I find this wired lol :shock: :lol:
I never did makeup in my life
Greetings, randyGA!

Tell us about yourself, and your skirts, and when and when and where you wear them!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

:welcome:

Welcome to the best place to learn about skirting randyGA. We are a varied bunch of skirters here and from all over the world. So make yourself at home and tell us a little about yourself. :D
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Ralph wrote:Ugh, gonna have to provide the minority dissent on this one. I find makeup horribly unnatural - on men and women. From a distance it looks great, but up close it's like circus greasepaint, leaving stains on everything it touches and giving a surreal texture to the skin. Hate it, hate it, hate it.

I like folks looking natural best myself, but then I'm a naturist.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Daryl wrote:

You remind me of a t-shirt I once saw. It was a smudgey but quite recognisable image of Tammy Faye Bakker with the caption "Guess who I ran into at the mall?"

My least favourite makeup in the "too greasy" department is lip makeup. Females are applying two layers now, with the top layer being wet looking gloss and sometimes metallic, with a third component being an outline. They always look ridiculous and tasteless to me, like they didn't know when to stop or thought that more is always better. Add a bulbous red nose and oversized shoes to complete the look, I say.
I have to be in on this one, I agree that makeup is horribly unnatural. Most people don't need it, the manufacturers and models tell you need it. Cause it makes them money. And now to men?
Don't use it won't use it.
If a person had a scar or mark they wanted cover that makes sense. The dreaded pimple the day of highschool yearbook pictures.
I see it as one more crank on the ratchet to destroy and feminize men. Masculinity is under attack, our boys are under attack. I just saw another article on the news the other day promoting the concept in if a boy likes anything
Not traditionally male, he should be evaluated for Possibility of transgender ism. It sound's extreme but it seems like there is a end goal to end masculinity. If we can get you to act and be feminine, GOOD. If we can get you to willing want castration, all the BETTER. More like mutilation. Protect your children and grandchildren.
Especially your boys, it's a very one-sided push. Case in point I see women with short hair, sports t-shirts, jeans, very butch looking, and no one gives them second thought on motive. If we venture out in all male clothing except for a utilitarian denim skirt. The people that do notice. Think we have some kind of motive, or desire to be female deep down.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I don't do makeup mainly because I always fidget with my face all day. I don't like the greasy feeling on my skin.

That being said I dont care who wears or doesn't wear makeup.

Lots and lots of guys wear eyeliner. Frankly I'd love to wear eye liner but I dont like the idea of having the tip of the pen that close to my eye ball.

As for the world feminisising men, while there may be certain special interest groups out there with such an agenda, I think it's a pretty small endeavor. Rather, I suspect western culture is hell bent on masculinizing everyone, women included.

After all, let's just look at the raw data.... if society as a whole was so desperate to feminize men, then why do so many of us run into so much resistance from family and employers for simply wanting to wear a skirt? A kilt is okay... but put on just an ordinary skirt? No way!

It doesn't sound like the masses want men feminized to me..... I can think of a lot of people out in the world who wish feminine men would just knock it off and act normal.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.