Make-up Guy

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 792
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:25 am
Location: Sweden

Make-up Guy

Post by Stu »

I called at a local supermarket today to buy tea. I couldn't find any British tea, so I approached a member of staff who was crouched down stacking a lower shelf. For a split second, something didn't seem right - the name on the nametag was Johan, but the smile I received struck me as a bit feminine. The assistant spoke to me and I realised he was a youn man, aged around 17 or 18, and he was wearing subtle, but quite distinct in the strong lighting, facial make-up. He had some very subtle foundation, mascara and something on his lips which just gave them a very slight shimmer.

Now I don't "do" make-up. I have always had a bit of a negative reaction to the thought of a guy putting on make-up - OK, call it a "prejudice" if you like, but it just doesn't seem very masculine to me. However, I have to say that what I found truly shocking was that he actually looked good with it. He had perfect teeth, well groomed and fairly long hair etc and the bit of make-up enhanced his face: while it didn't make him look particularly masculine, it suited his particular features and complexion.

He was helpful, and friendly too. He clearly had the ability to apply the right stuff in the right way and to carry it off with complete confidence.

Stu

User avatar
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:46 am
Location: Irving, Texas USA

Re: Make-up Guy

Post by JohnH »

Let's put it this way - men were not always plain and ugly in their clothes and grooming. You go back to the 1700's and you will see men with fancy wigs, lace, ruffles, heels, and yes, makeup.

Maybe the strait jacket restrictions that apply to men are being relaxed, which is a good thing.

John

Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:59 am
Location: Australia

Re: Make-up Guy

Post by Sarongman »

well, maybe not the makeup, but the wigs, ruffles and red outfits lined with ermine (rather reminiscent of Santa :mrgreen: ) are still to be found in our Judges' outfits, however not the black silk hanky which went on the head when pronouncing the long discontinued capital punishment.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod

SkirtedWelshman
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:52 am
Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom

Re: Make-up Guy

Post by SkirtedWelshman »

I'm male and love makeup. I started wearing kilts, skirts four years ago. At this time I was always clean, but had a haircut once every eight weeks, shaved once a week. I wanted to be different and create a look. First came the kilts, then skirts. I started having my haircut once every two weeks. Then I got into make-up, first eyeliner, then eyeshadow, before going the whole hog. I'm so much happier, better groomed. I now shave twice a day before applying foundation. Nails are neater and nail polish applied, coloured of course.

Bulging pockets have been replaced with a handbag and make-up for touch ups is always to hand. I have been so many favourable comments, regarding my looks life is too short to be boring.

Martin

User avatar
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:46 am
Location: Irving, Texas USA

Re: Make-up Guy

Post by JohnH »

I wear lipstick, eyeshadow, and mascara for business and church. I have hair down past my shoulder blades and have boom-booms. So I look like a woman but the illusion is shattered when I talk with my bass voice.

John

SkirtedWelshman
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:52 am
Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom

Re: Make-up Guy

Post by SkirtedWelshman »

Loving it, John.

I wear the makeup, kilts, it's about being yourself. Their is no illusion, you are you, and fantastic for that.

Keep up the good work.

Martin.

SkirtedWelshman
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:52 am
Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom

Re: Make-up Guy

Post by SkirtedWelshman »

Just a thought. I have been wearing makeup for about five years. I have had nothing but compliments, been asked for advice. A long standing friend, commented how it makes my eyes look amazing. My foundation and powder look so good, no-one even notices. If you like makeup, my advice. I say, go for it.

jamodu
Active Member
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:15 pm

Re: Make-up Guy

Post by jamodu »

Getting older, I've recently discovered the benefits of 'tinted moisturizer' (as my wife had been using the same). All the benefits of wearing foundation, without being obvious. Just ensure that you buy an appropriate skin shade.

User avatar
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1160
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:25 am
Location: Toronto Canada

Re: Make-up Guy

Post by Daryl »

Stu wrote:I called at a local supermarket today to buy tea. I couldn't find any British tea, so I approached a member of staff who was crouched down stacking a lower shelf. For a split second, something didn't seem right - the name on the nametag was Johan, but the smile I received struck me as a bit feminine. The assistant spoke to me and I realised he was a youn man, aged around 17 or 18, and he was wearing subtle, but quite distinct in the strong lighting, facial make-up. He had some very subtle foundation, mascara and something on his lips which just gave them a very slight shimmer.

Now I don't "do" make-up. I have always had a bit of a negative reaction to the thought of a guy putting on make-up - OK, call it a "prejudice" if you like, but it just doesn't seem very masculine to me. However, I have to say that what I found truly shocking was that he actually looked good with it. He had perfect teeth, well groomed and fairly long hair etc and the bit of make-up enhanced his face: while it didn't make him look particularly masculine, it suited his particular features and complexion.

He was helpful, and friendly too. He clearly had the ability to apply the right stuff in the right way and to carry it off with complete confidence.
Stu
I believe that the main limiting factors on makeup for men are the existence of facial hair and the more pronounced, and more angular, male features. Female faces (indeed their entire bodies) are smoother canvasses and can be seen as simply providing opportunity for painting in ways that male bodies more often do not.

Male facial (and other) features for some varieties of humans on this planet come closer to female norms. Witness the Thai "ladyboy" beauty pageants (on Youtube). Those folks are mostly trans, I understand, but also apparently some are not and are just doing it because they can. Perhaps the chap you met fell into that category: doing it just because he can.
Daryl...

renesm1
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 561
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:16 pm

Re: Make-up Guy

Post by renesm1 »

I don't think facial hair has held back Conchita Wurst or Mathu Andersen from using make-up (admittedly, these two are both drag artists).
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews

User avatar
phathack
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:41 pm
Location: North Texas, USA

Re: Make-up Guy

Post by phathack »

jamodu wrote:Getting older, I've recently discovered the benefits of 'tinted moisturizer' (as my wife had been using the same). All the benefits of wearing foundation, without being obvious. Just ensure that you buy an appropriate skin shade.
After I shave I put on a moisturizer and if I'm going out I'll opt for a tinted moisturizer as it evens out my complexion. If I'm going out at night I punch things up with powder and maybe do a little bit of work on the eyes. No one seems to notice but I can tell the difference.

Rocketdawg
Junior Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:51 am

Re: Make-up Guy

Post by Rocketdawg »

I have been wearing mascara on my eye lashes and brows. I'm traditionally a "true blonde" and so are my lashes and brows. That coupled with a receding hairline makes for a very featureless face. I wear a short beard and use light brown mascara to get my eyes to appear. When I don't wear it people ask if I didn't sleep well last night. I look like I have "pig eyes".

User avatar
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 568
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:30 pm
Location: Western Washington, USA

Re: Make-up Guy

Post by Gordon »

Yes I wear a little from time to time also. I think a lot of men could enhance their appearance without looking like they use makeup. Makeup does't have to scream; "Hey, look at my makeup!"
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon

User avatar
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1160
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:25 am
Location: Toronto Canada

Re: Make-up Guy

Post by Daryl »

renesm1 wrote:I don't think facial hair has held back Conchita Wurst or Mathu Andersen from using make-up (admittedly, these two are both drag artists).

"Held back"...no, not my meaning.

Let me put it this way. If a man wants to do some **** with his face, cutting his whiskers in different ways is just right there waiting for him. If a woman wants to do some **** with hers, she needs to put something on her face first.

Of course, people of both sexes have probably used mud and charcoal since forever...

(BTW, those groups of 4 asterisks represent a word that begins with sh and ends with it.)
Daryl...

User avatar
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire
Posts: 1336
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:19 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Make-up Guy

Post by JeffB1959 »

I wear lipstick from time to time, infrequently at best, depending on my mood. I won't deny that I look better when I have color on my lips.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.

Post Reply