"Official" Freestyle website long overdue for update?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Ryan

Re: "Official" Freestyle website long overdue for update?

Post by Ryan »

Kieran wrote:An update is definitely needed, most of the websites linked don't even exist now.
It could be a better and easier option to simply create a new site that is updated regularly.
Kieran,

I certainly agree, as I think most, if not every skirt cafe member does.

You don't happen to know how to create such a "new site that is updated regularly," do you?

Another possibility, which I just thought of is, can you or anyone "hack" that virgin space web page? You won't be doing it to steal credit card numbers or destroy anything. It's just a "mid course correction" that's done withoug going through the people at Virgin Media. But I think we should try to get in through the "front door" by contacting Virgin Media, first.

"Hacking" that web page should be a last resort. Another idea is to take the code from the current web page and "transplant" it to another web site. Of course, changes and updated links will be done after the "move."

In any event, let's see if we can get something done by, say, August 2020, shall we? :lol:

RYAN
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Ryan wrote:Another possibility, which I just thought of is, can you or anyone "hack" that virgin space web page? You won't be doing it to steal credit card numbers or destroy anything. It's just a "mid course correction" that's done withoug going through the people at Virgin Media. But I think we should try to get in through the "front door" by contacting Virgin Media, first.
You don't suppose, just for a moment, that what you are suggesting is unethical? And not just unethical, but potentially criminal as well? I approach the question as someone who has had some dealings in computer security and the ethical use of computing resources.

Not all web-sites need continual updates (although those that link to others need constant attention); for instance, my computer-history site hasn't seen an update in years -- and that's because I'm not actively acquiring more hardware. The information on my extant systems is as up-to-date as when I put it there, and if somebody cracked (the proper term, by the way; to "hack" means to do something creatively or artistically to clever ends) my site I'd be righteously torqued off.

Now, this "official" site (one becomes official on the Internet simply by saying he is, and what sort of credibility does that carry) was, as far as I can tell, always light on content (being mostly links) and once link-checking fell by the wayside the site "died". I'll wager that there are more "dead" sites in "cyberspace" than there are "live" ones. Why we should worry about this one particular example baffles me.

Aggregations of links are better left to search-engines -- and look how many of those links are "dead".

See Milfmog's post on the previous page.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Ryan wrote:Skirtyscot,

If you (and Milfmog) "really" want to see what I hope to achieve with my "endeavor," just Google "freestyle fashion" and look at your resulting "hits."

Most likely you'll see that the web page in question is among the top hits--second, when I last Googled a minute ago--just as everyone else who make this Google search will see. (If you search with another search engine, such as yahoo or bing, that same web page will also show among the top hits.) So everyone who clicks on that web page will see the outdated and dead links and information about freestyle fashion that should be updated and rewritten.
So what? You want to resurrect a dead site because it turns up well in a search engine if you use an large part of its name in your search string? Well that makes sense...

In all honesty, how many men who know nothing about wearing a skirt as a guy will even consider searching for "freestyle"? I suspect it will be a tiny fraction of the number that start with a search term containing words such as "men" and "skirt" or searching for variants of “men in skirts”, “skirts for men”, “mens skirts” etc, etc, etc. These do not tend to highlight the "official" site, however Skirt Café typically comes up in the first page or two when searching for these terms. Adding modifiers to exclude crossdressing, transvestite etc changes the results again. To be blunt, I suspect this thread has generated more hits to the “official” site recently than Google has.

So is one dead, (and never very good) site really worth expending any effort on? I think not and will not waste my time on it.

If you really want to promote men in skirts (but are not able to build a great website to do it): get out in the real world, skirted and proud. Be seen and help to promote this site by adding the url to your email signature and all your forum sign offs on every forum you use, irrespective of its special interest. If every site member did that, I suspect we'd see a steady increase in traffic and even though much of it would simply be curiosity traffic, I'd expect some to visit again. That’s something you can do (instead of asking others to do it for you), it will cost you nothing and take very little of your time.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Kieran

Post by Kieran »

Ryan wrote:
Kieran wrote:An update is definitely needed, most of the websites linked don't even exist now.
It could be a better and easier option to simply create a new site that is updated regularly.
Kieran,

I certainly agree, as I think most, if not every skirt cafe member does.

You don't happen to know how to create such a "new site that is updated regularly," do you?

Another possibility, which I just thought of is, can you or anyone "hack" that virgin space web page? You won't be doing it to steal credit card numbers or destroy anything. It's just a "mid course correction" that's done withoug going through the people at Virgin Media. But I think we should try to get in through the "front door" by contacting Virgin Media, first.

"Hacking" that web page should be a last resort. Another idea is to take the code from the current web page and "transplant" it to another web site. Of course, changes and updated links will be done after the "move."

In any event, let's see if we can get something done by, say, August 2020, shall we? :lol:

RYAN
I do know how to create websites.
Brandy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brandy »

Hi,

Firefoxheels last known hang out was hhplace.org. Look for FireFox to see if it is the same person.

-Brandy