POCKETS!!!!

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Man in a skirt

POCKETS!!!!

Post by Man in a skirt »

I went to the tailors and got some pockets sewn into my favorite skirt yesterday, and I've worn it all day today. Quite a useful, and imo masculine addition to any skirt. Most women's skirts lack pockets because women use purses... Err... Most women NOT being my wife. I have to hold her keys and wallet when she wears a skirt...
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: POCKETS!!!!

Post by crfriend »

Man in a skirt wrote:Most women NOT being my wife. I have to hold her keys and wallet when she wears a skirt...
In my experience, keys go really well on a lanyard about one's neck, and wallets, if so sized, can be carried in shirt pockets. If there are no suitable pockets to be had, then it's outboard storage -- in other words, some sort of bag. (I do both, depending on circumstance and the number/volume of items I have to carry.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Man in a skirt wrote:I went to the tailors and got some pockets sewn into my favorite skirt yesterday, and I've worn it all day today. Quite a useful, and imo masculine addition to any skirt.
Good idea, MIAS. I have often considered doing that as well, but I reckon its easier to find another one on Ebay! How did you get the extra bit of fabric to match?
Man in a skirt wrote:Most women's skirts lack pockets because women use purses.
I beg to differ. Most women's skirts lack pockets because women don't want to use pockets, for two reasons. One, a large item in a pocket will make the skirt hang in a funny way, out to one side. Two, a large item will also change the outline of the woman, adding a bulge where she would rather not have it. For this reason women don't generally put very much in their pockets even when they have them - makes you wonder why they stole our styles in the first place!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
BobM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by BobM »

If you look at a women's skirt that has internal front pockets most likely they are of the 'on-seam' variety, meaning that there is an opening in the side seam (or directly in the material if there is no seam) from which a modest pocked is hung. When objects heavier than a lipstick are deposited in this type of pocket they sag and pull. Now get out a pair of men's trousers (if you have any) and examine how the front pockets are attached. As an almost universal rule they are attached to, and supported by, the waistband. I have had a left front pocket installed on kilts (not a right one because the knife pleats are in the wrong direction on that side) by experienced seamstresses. It is fairly costly because of the amount of labor and skill required, but to me it is worth it. These days though I only wear kilts now and then because I find light weight skirts much more comfortable.
Ordained Deacon and Ruling Elder, Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I think pockets work fine for garments that are fastened by the waist - e.g. skirts or pants. My denim skirts have five pockets just like jeans and they work OK. I have sun dress that has pockets and whenever I put anything in them the dress does not hang right.
Man in a skirt

Post by Man in a skirt »

things DO tend to flop around a bit when I walk... (I mean my wallet and keys :)) I just took it to the tailors and she found some matching fabric... Next up is getting pockets in my denim skirt!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Good idea, MIAS.
It's not new. In the 7 years I've been fully skirted, everytime I buy a new skirt I like, (usually the ones I like don't come with pockets)I run off to my favorite seamstress for adding about 5 pockets of different sizes, and one always with a zipper for keys, change and other small stuff like that. One skirt usually costs around $4.00 to have all the pocket
falloutable stuff fixed. :mrgreen:

Nearly every town or city has multiple seamstressess available. Look in the Yellow pages. :mrgreen:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Man in a skirt

Post by Man in a skirt »

WOW $4??! I paid $24 for mine... where is your seamstress up in the Northwet? I'll track her (or him) down when I get back home...