Public Transportation?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Davy

Re: Public Transportation?

Post by Davy »

I frequently wear skirts while driving long distances and agree they are much more comfortable. I haven't worn them on a plane yet, simply because I haven't been on a plane in a long time, but I would think they would be much better. Certainly they are no problem on a bus, which I have done many times.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

With family on the West Coast I've flown and taken the train coast to coast many times in the last few years. That was before wearing a skirt in public. But I have worn freestyle fashions and had no problems either in train or plane. Next time I'll have to take a skirt!!

AIR: I like Jet Blue and always get the Extra Space upgrade for roomier seats (and priority security line). MOST of the time other passengers get up for non-aisle people to get out of and go back to their seats. A gentle "excuse me..." does it unless a person is sleeping.

RAIL: Amtrak draws a crowd of very nice people. The dining cars and lounge cars on long-distance trains are very pleasant places to meet random people and strike up conversations, and I would think it would be a positive and non-threatening atmosphere for being seen in a skirt. I would think of it as an excellent opportunity to educate people that, yes, guys can wear skirts. By the way, I would heartily recommend that you book a sleeping car and not a coach for overnight travel!
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

Train, plane, tram or bus skirted/kilted have never been a problem for me.
Last flight was august 2011 with EasyJet to London Luton and I even danced with a stewardess in front of 150 flabbergasted passengers.
Cabin crew are often faced with grumpy and fearfull passengers so they appreciate a Flying Dutchman in good spirits.
The fact that I wore a jeansskirt made no difference at all.

You'll have to live life to the full. Jan.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

I flew twice yesterday. In the morning I managed to set the alarm off in the metal detector arch at security, so I got my first skirted pat-down. The guy seemed to pause for a second, but then carried on with the usual frisking of the legs. So no problem.

I was wearing a long skirt because the weather in Glasgow was duff, to say the least. Also because planes can sometime be quite cold if the aircon is turned up too high - I have been caught out by that a few times, wearing shorts when flying home from a holiday in sunnier climes. The skirt is pretty lightweight and allows plenty of movement and air circulation, but it is enough of a barrier against chilly aircon. In short, it's the most comfortable thing to wear on a plane journey.

Later on I had changed into an above-the-knee skirt, as the weather in London was boiling hot. Thanks to the vicissitudes of London Transport, I ended up with very little time to spare so went through security and on to the plane without changing. Fortunately no pat-down this time - could have been a little uncomfortable! No problems this time either, but I did feel a little underdressed, what with most of the other passengers wearing suits. There are some situations when I like to be covered.

On some Tube trains all the seats are along the sides, facing inwards, and I confess to having felt a little exposed on them, in a short skirt. Would have been a little more relaxed had I not been freeballing! :shock:
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

I travel by bus into the city quite often, always skirted. No problem. Always "freeball" but skirts are well below the knee in my case. Have not worn dresses into town though, for lack of pockets. Will be going in shortly for a dental appointment, and now I have waistcoat which solves the pockets,this combo should be ideal:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Man in a skirt

Post by Man in a skirt »

Looks like the skirt I wear in public a lot. I took it to a tailor and had pockets sewn in...
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

It's actually a dress I constructed by sewing Silkbody's swing skirt onto their mens shortsleeve crew top. Very luxurious, and not cheap. If it's raining on the day other things will I wear.
I've got a polycotton dress on order and that has sidepockets. Should be very useful and hardwearing.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Jack Williams wrote:If it's raining on the day other things will I wear.
Rain is a tough one, and much depends on the fabric in question. I must admit that I am astounded with how well my Macabi has dealt with things. This is my "sailing skirt" and I've gotten rained on a good number of times in it and it shrugs it off like water off a duck's back. I had a bit of a scare with it last night when I was dealing with some old electronic gear that had decomposed "rubber" feet that left a large and nasty blot on the fabric, but I took some soap, and then dishwashing detergent, to it and then chucked the thing into the wash and it came out pretty well -- something that a cotton or poly-blend skirt would not have. (I do not even want to contemplate silk!)
I've got a polycotton dress on order and that has sidepockets. Should be very useful and hardwearing.
That'll be pretty much immune to things like water. I've managed to get thoroughly drenched in cotton and poly-cotton and it comes through just fine.

I am a big fan of synthetics.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Man in a skirt

Post by Man in a skirt »

my usual skirt of choice is the simple walmart broom-stick style skirt in black or brown. It's been wet numerous times from rain and or wading on the beach. It's not noticeable when wet, (except for being a little clingy) and dries within minutes. It IS a bit light to wear if it's chilly out though...
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Rain wont hurt the Silkbody (I've even surfed in it last summer), but have redyed it since.
The original dye I found actually rubbed off, if you spilled something on it for instance and cleaned with dishcloth. So I didnt worry if my coming right up on the beach rubbed some dye off my chest on the sand! (You can see me on YouTube surfing in it (MrMdick)). Also a short one on Flickr, (Jack Williams) called Silkbody surfing. Not huge waves, but bodysurfable well.
So now I have redyed it with Ritt, which is much better, but now I give my $400.00 Silkbody dress a bit more respect! This summer I may take the Damart polycotton one in on camera. Certainly is a lot of fun. Damart dress, by comparison: $60.00.
Not that I really need more dresses, much as I love them, but the Damart is a good blokeable one, and has actual sidepockets! Not sure (as Carl mentioned) whether the sidepockets have any depth, but (A) I can always deepen them, as I have already done on other skirts, but also (B) the favourite Damart cotten skirt I have has really good and fully useable sidepockets. Fingers crossed for the dress. Suspicious though, as the models seem only to have thumb in the pockets!
Yes, the Macabis are great for the rain. Dry out in a flash compared to cotton. Also, when I venture out in uncertain weather, I can just pull one on over my existing wad of dresses etc, put heavy t-shirt on top, and take them off and hang to dry when I get back. Hate raincoats.

But of course, what will summer bring? Methinks it would be difficult not to drown the great Silkbody again. After all, only the dye was not up to standard. The Rit is much better. Of course, can always be redyed.

Going in to the city shortly in above ensemble. I'll see if my friend Adam, who lives there can spare a moment to take a shot or two.
Last edited by Jack Williams on Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Tossup whether the all Silkbody dress, or this one with the Crepe-de-chine skirt will be the one for the city. Never the surf though!
The main thing about the rain is, while no problem with the clothes, the vest pockets do expose billfold to possible wet, whereas the deep pockets of the Macabe much less so. I love the way the longer and very light pure silk crepe-de-chine skirt flies in the wind. Methinks this is the one for a jaunt in on the bus.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
norstdresses
Member Extraordinaire

Post by norstdresses »

For traveling by plane, I used to wear long A-line dresses or long skirts.
my new long summer skirt.gif
This kind of skirt is perfect for traveling by car or for long distance flights. It is long enough to cover your legs completely and avoid to getting cold from the AC.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Hi nrstdrsss,

This combination looks fantastic on you and I have a similar skirt which I wear in winter.

Snnd
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
norstdresses
Member Extraordinaire

Post by norstdresses »

Hi sinned
many thanks for your comment. Yesterday I posted a picture of the outfit where you can see the whole body. I don't know how to post a link in order to follow the regulations of the skirt cafe to avoid double postings of pictures in different forums. I am posting in almost all forums except the Kilt,Kilt forum, because I do not have a kilt.
In Winter (up to -10 c) I wear only long dresses or skirts combined with warm shoes and warm tops and sometimes a coat. The coat is perfect when its raining. I never felt cold.

Today its a little bit windy and for Botswana a cold day (18c), so I decided to wear my long soft cotton A-line dress with Jacket

Happy in my dress in the office