His Black Dress is now on YouTube! - Your Opinions Wanted

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
MSpookshow

His Black Dress is now on YouTube! - Your Opinions Wanted

Post by MSpookshow »

Hey everyone,

I've started posting videos to YouTube. To my knowledge, I may be the only guy actually wearing a skirt while talking about fashion freedom on YouTube, so there's totally no pressure or anything. :lol: In all seriousness, I would like for my videos to get a positive message across about guys in skirts! I'm a bit below the average age on these forums, and my videos are aimed a bit more towards a younger YouTube audience, but I'd still really like the opinions of forum members.

I've posted this in freestyle fashion because that's the road I tend to take. I'm aware that I don't dress very conservatively, and I know that is somewhat frowned up here. That being said, I'm still promoting boys wearing skirts so I feel it's relevant. Please have a look at my channel / videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HisBlackDress/feed

What sort of topics do you guys think I should cover? What would YOU like to see from a channel promoting guys in skirts on YouTube? What do you think is going to help the cause? I'm looking for all advice (and criticisms), in my opinion the only bad response is no response at all! I'm trying to reach out to a younger audience with this channel, help me spread the message of fashion freedom for men!
owen
Member Extraordinaire

Re: His Black Dress is now on YouTube! - Your Opinions Wante

Post by owen »

Well done! What would I like to see? Just keep doing what you're doing; it's a great message. 8)

(Not meaning to change the subject, but here's another one I noticed on your page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U76piO_dGMo . The guy looks cool, but turn the sound off!)
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Good video! The clothes are almost incidental which in many ways says so much.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Both you and the guitarist look completely comfortable in your clothes, and they are both good looks!

Not so sure about the guitar playing though. :roll:
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Try this link :!:
Quite interesting and pushes towards the
younger generation, yet applies to men of all ages :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Unfortunately, my opinion of his you tube is "The feminine movements pitch the whole idea of a manly skirted man right out the window. All he needs to complete the feminine look is a wig on the bald head that looks like it's used to having a wig on". :roll:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
MSpookshow

Post by MSpookshow »

Thank you for the compliments, everyone! I appreciate it and I'm glad to know that some of you "get it". Yes, that guy with the guitar in the video is totally rockin' it, which is why I favorite'd the video!
Since1982 wrote:Unfortunately, my opinion of his you tube is "The feminine movements pitch the whole idea of a manly skirted man right out the window. All he needs to complete the feminine look is a wig on the bald head that looks like it's used to having a wig on". :roll:
Ha! Given your past posts I figured you would hate it. Haters gonna hate, no worries! 8)

This does bring up an interesting point, though. I tend to not worry about labels like manly or girly, and don't consciously try to project one or the other. I have trouble seeing the point of it all in this day and age, where girls seem just as likely to enjoy sports & beer as the boys are, ect. I guess what I'm saying is I don't have an issue with being a (Arnold voice) "girly man" to some people, and I don't necessarily see that as bad thing to be either. I know there's a bit of a masculine undercurrent here on the forums (which is why I don't post too often), but this is the freestyle fashion section. I think it's more important to focus on just being myself rather than worry about trying to fit into preconceived notions of what I should be, if that makes sense, and the sooner we get rid of the nonsensical connection between sexuality and clothing, the better! But yes, I'm not a champion of manly skirted men, just skirted men. The message I try to convey is just to have the courage to be yourself, whatever that may be.

On a slight tangent, I don't think I'd go for a wig for a feminine look anyways. Bald girls are totally hot! :lol:
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I really hate the notion of the "manly" man in this western civilization. I really find the notion confining to say the least. Let's see - for example "it's shameful for a man to wear lipstick". I happen to apply an inconspicuous shade of lipstick so one can see my lips against my ruddy complexion. I'm not talking about a gaudy red color - simply a subtle color so my lips are visible instead of looking washed out.

If a man has prominent breasts it's shameful for him to wear a bra - in this twisted society it would be preferable for him to get mutilated by having his breasts removed.

Michael simply likes to gesture with his arms and hands. There is nothing wrong with that.

John
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

More power to your elbow for going to the trouble of the blog and videos. I have to say that your outfits are rather further from the norm than I feel comfortable straying but I love the fact that you do it and appear happy to do so.

I agree totally that people should be free to express themselves as they choose, my only redline is that an individual's choice should not have negative impacts on others. Keep spreading the word, keep talking to folks and telling them that you are the person, not your clothing.

The sooner the outdated ideas of Manliness are dumped the better, far too many social ills are a consequence of people trying to live up to stereotypes rather than being themselves and unwritten gender based rules are one of the most obvious examples of this.

Maybe, in time, more vocal men, such as yourself, will push the barriers of perception back far enough that others will feel socially comfortable giving up the inseam.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

There was a time when manliness was true and genuine, such as being on the frontier and having the strength to farm, hunt, homestead, and to defend yourself and your family against outlaws. The manliness in our civilization has none of those virtues - rather it has the vices of imposing on others - such as driving around with loud motorcycles and pickup trucks, and being aggressive towards others. The modern notion is based on insecurity of males of how they dress and groom themselves - "Is this a manly garment?" Women don't have those hangups - when was the last time a woman asked a question, "Is this garment womanly enough?"

I thinking in my mind of a situation of giving a bass voice solo recital, and wearing an evening gown with heels, earrings, and makeup. With my voice I'm obviously not trying to pass as a woman and yet some cretins would label me a pervert. Yet if a woman gave a soprano recital and she wore a tuxedo it would be accepted by society.

John
SkirtedViking
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtedViking »

I am supporter of your cause.Keep up the good work and strive for gender equality out of the gender biased box.
There is nothing worse than double standard!
SkirtedViking
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtedViking »

JohnH wrote:There was a time when manliness was true and genuine, such as being on the frontier and having the strength to farm, hunt, homestead, and to defend yourself and your family against outlaws. The manliness in our civilization has none of those virtues - rather it has the vices of imposing on others - such as driving around with loud motorcycles and pickup trucks, and being aggressive towards others. The modern notion is based on insecurity of males of how they dress and groom themselves - "Is this a manly garment?" Women don't have those hangups - when was the last time a woman asked a question, "Is this garment womanly enough?"

I thinking in my mind of a situation of giving a bass voice solo recital, and wearing an evening gown with heels, earrings, and makeup. With my voice I'm obviously not trying to pass as a woman and yet some cretins would label me a pervert. Yet if a woman gave a soprano recital and she wore a tuxedo it would be accepted by society.

John
Great comment.Very well said indeed!
There is nothing worse than double standard!
dongya

Post by dongya »

dear mr spookshow,
i am a long-time admirer of your style and i agree also with your thoughts on
gender. this is, btw, fully compatible with academic gender studies, and it is
good to spread the word. beside the theory and practice of the biased gender
perception of the majority -- you are looking great.
best wishes, dongya
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

Although I would personally feel uncomfortable adopting that look, but not because I particularly like overkill 'manly' approaches either, I wish you every success in your choices.
Everyone's own take on what they feel good with is paramount, and criticisms are usually based upon personal preferences which mean nothing really. How we dress can sometimes act to dictate how successful we handle our lives, and how we are accepted in certain areas of society. Only the individual himself is in control of that.
I do believe that it is mostly down to the younger of us to change how the world spins in the future, not old crusty guys like me. How soon the divide between the cliched looking male and female image totally dissolves is anyone's guess. And when it does without comment or question, and I expect it is almost bound to, I'm sure there will be a lot of men becoming a lot happier with their lives.
I could not wear a dress in the particular circle of society which I frequent as I am not that couragious. My kilt and occasional skirt wearing is already a subject which I expect my acquaintances find completely bonkers. But, as I said, that's their opinion, not mine.
Good luck!!!

On the subject of freestyle I'm delighted to say that my new custom made kilt from Sport Kilt arrived yesterday. I sent them a couple of metres of maroon fabric which they've introduced into the pleats as a bespoke 'Team Kilt' design. The resultant black kilt with maroon pleat inserts matches exactly a Georgio Amarni Tuxedo jacket I already have - having discarded the overtight trousers! There's also a maroon waistcoat to match but I shall have to shed some girth before I can add that into the mix. So I now have a Tuxedo kilt suit. The jacket is normal length but seems to look right, or at least isn't worth the expense of having it altered - normally a kilt jacket is traditionally shorter. I'll post a photo sometime.

Pete
jamie001
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamie001 »

The entire look is excellent. I believe that we need to stop worrying about whether a look is masculine enough, because the masculinity that has been pounded into us since we were little children is quite limiting, not only in clothing choices, but in the ability to actually be ourselves and express who we really are. As another post stated, women don't worry about whether a look is feminine enough when they wear jeans, a flannel shirt, and hiking boots.

I believe that the most important think to learn is to allow your clothing choice to express who you are. We all have masculine and feminine sides to our personalities and we shouldn't be expected to suppress any part of our personalities. In other words, it really makes sense to dress in clothing that expresses who you are. If we get caught-up in thoughts such as "does it look masculine enough", then we are once again bowing to society's ridiculous rules.