Headbands

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
skirt24

Headbands

Post by skirt24 »

Do any of you that have long hair use headbands? I have hair halfway down my back and I use them and have had very little negative comments about them. I prefer using those instead of pulling my hair back into a ponytail. I really dont feel the headband but I do the hair tied back in a pony tail.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Headbands

Post by Kilted_John »

Tried once before, but found that it's more controllable in a tail. So, I either use a normal hair tie or a silk scarf to tie it back into a tail. Sometimes a higher one if it's warm, or a low one if it's cool.

-J
Last edited by Kilted_John on Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

When I ponytail my hair, it's about 3" above my waist. I usually just use hair bands and never thought about using a headband. Maybe I should try one and see how it works. I also plays vibes in a jazz group and if I don't ponytail my hair, it gets in my face too much! :)

--Rick
klaatu

Post by klaatu »

LOL I only wish that I had enough hair to use one. :D
SkirtedMouse

Post by SkirtedMouse »

I use a headband as I am currently growing my hair and not all of it is long enough to reach where the ponytail is tied. I was forever getting annoyed with my hair flopping in front of my eyes, but thought a headband was too 'girly'. I eventually woke up to the fact that having the confidence to wear a skirt 99% of the time should tell me that I should not worry about a little thing like a hairband! I now wear mine all the time...
Dinoco

Post by Dinoco »

I've been wearing them for a while now. It's hard to find one that's comfortable but they do a wonderful job of keeping your hair out of the way. I was uncomfortable about them at first as they did seem a little girly but I'm quite used to them now, and no one else really seems to pay them much attention.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Klaatu said: LOL I only wish that I had enough hair to use one.
I have a thin skull so anything like a hat or headband gives me a bad headache almost immediately. Even too much groom and clean gives me one. (Groom and Clean is a pomade jelly to hold your hair in place) I either use a strip of leather cord to wrap it into a tail or let it go wherever it feels like. Rubber hair bands tend to also give me a headache. As my hair changes from yellow blond to flaxen gray it feels pretty good loose unless it's too windy, in which case I make a ponytail. :alien: :hide: :alien:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
the_scott_meister

Post by the_scott_meister »

I too use a headband (or "Alice band" as know for our UK friends), well I did until recently when I had my hair cut considerably shorter. But it's growing out more now and I find that it does help when I'm doing things that I need to keep my head pointed downward, which is pretty much anything except stargazing.

I prefer to use the solid colors in the roundish, nondiscript variety as they aren't too girly, afterall, I'm not trying to be a girl. They're just functional and comfortable, depending on which ones I use. I do have to be careful about which ones I use as some of them are angled too much at the bottom and will hurt below and behind the ears while not give good enough hold to the hair on top.

I thought that I was the only guy who wore them as I've not even seen an internet counter-culture, until now.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Well, I wear my hair short now. However back in the 1960's my hair was down to my waist. I wore a headband most of the time back then. I did not yet wear skirts in those days, but a head band was part of my every day wear, and necessary to control my hair. I did not like putting my hair in a ponytail, although I had tried it a few times.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Dale wrote:Well, I wear my hair short now. However back in the 1960's my hair was down to my waist. I wore a headband most of the time back then.
The spirit lives on. Back in the 1960s my parents would not allow me to grow my hair out and, until I was 10 or 11 made sure I had a crew-cut. During secondary school I was "allowed" to grow it too - but not touch -- my collar. Eventually I escaped this tyrrany, and whilst I would not begin to wear skirts regularly for another 30 years or more almost immediately started letting it grow. I settled for upper-back length for many years, and that did not really require restraining save for when I was working on very messy machinery (like electrostatic plotters). In the mid 1990s I finally let it "go terminal", and that's where it hovers to this day without maintenance save the occasional wash -- slightly below my waist.

Waist-length hear usually does require some form of restraint, and I, for the most part, have opted for wearing it in a 'tail restrained with either plain hair-elastics or, if I'm feeling very happy, one of a selection of several bows or other "hair toys". Yesterday at the Dickens reading I had the tail restrained by a jewelled pewter butterfly. Another tactic I sometimes use is the "half tail" where some of the top hair is tied back and the rest underneath is loose.

I haven't tried a band yet, probably because I suspect that they'd give me headaches unless I could find one just the right size.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I have another thing I do that I forgot to mention in my first post. I live in the lower Florida Keys where it's sunny nearly all the time. I need reading glasses and like to have them on my head for quick access whenever I'm not in bed. I put a length of monofilament fishing line on the earpieces of the glasses that fits around my head snugly enough to act as a headband without taking up a lot of space or putting pressure on my skull. I have reading glasses and wrap sunglasses rigged this way so I can reverse them with either the shades in front over my eyes or the reading glasses in the same position. When either is in place, the other one is on the back of my head and the mono is just above the hairline in front to keep anything from pressuring any part of my head but still acting as a headband to keep my hair in place whether it's windy or not.

I use ponytail/s with this arrangement or let my hair flow loosely. I usually part on the right and brush my hair to the left so I can either tuck it behind my ears or let it go where it pleases. (except over my eyes)...I don't care for the brushing one sides hair over one eye look. That also gives me a headache. :faint:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Dale

Post by Dale »

Frankly, I have been thinking about letting my hair grow long again, but not as long as in the 1960's. This would most likely result in going back to a head band, i really hate when my hair would get in the way of my eyes. My lady friend has some nice ones and they are inexpensive. I used to use a bandanna folded over itself many times and tied in the back. Her's are a lot nicer, made from cotton and spandex.
BobM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by BobM »

In a semi-final round of Full Metal Jousting one of the competitors was wearing a blue headband. Looked nice, too.
Ordained Deacon and Ruling Elder, Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church.
MrUtopia
Distinguished Member

Post by MrUtopia »

I have just started growing my hair longer after nearly 30 years of military crew-cut. It us just long enough to be a problem if not held in place. I was using heavy gel, but that is like wearing a cycling helmet all day so I was wearing a headband at home. Today I decided to wear it to work and I got a few good comments and otherwise, no comment. It is a head band like David Beckham used (black metal band with wire fingers). It will be everyday use until my hair is long enough for a hair tie.
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

My hair is shoulder length and I normally wear it in a ponytail. Back in the day I wore a bandanna headband. I do have a silver headband I bought at a rennaisance fair. I think it's supposed to be a sort of crown.