Summer dress?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Summer dress?

Post by Ralph »

In my experience, stretch fabrics are your friend. Most clothing catalogs will give size charts explaining the rough correspondence of waist/chest/hip size to dress size, but as others have noted above, it's trickier for us because our proportions are all wrong. I'm almost completely cylindrical -- my chest, waist, and hip sizes are all within a couple of inches of each other and chest may or may not be smaller than waist depending on how successful my diet is at combatting 36-42 inches of pizza gut.

For summer, getting back to the original quesiton, I have two solutions:
1) A cotton knit tank dress from Just My Size. The lack of sleeves means I don't have to worry about shoulder or sleeve fit; the stretchiness means that I can get a nice fit without it being too constricting or baggy; the tie back means that I can pull in the waist as needed. It's *very* cool and comfortable on hot days.
http://www.justmysize.com/plus-size/clo ... back-dress

2) Likewise, elastic and spandex in the form of smocking, or ruched, tops. I found a fantastic sundress on ebay a few years ago. Sorry, I have no idea who the vendor was. The advantage is that the elastic top and full skirt makes for an excellent, comfortable fit on top and loose, air-cooled family jewels on the bottom. The disadvantage is that the floral pattern may be a bit too girly for some tastes, but I compensated for that by getting dark colors.
http://ralphinadress.wordpress.com/ralp ... rousel-284

Ah, just realized this thread started two years ago and was only recently bumped to look new... hopefully my answers will still be useful to someone facing the same problem.
Ralph!
straightfairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by straightfairy »

I tend to default to sleeveless dresses (some pics in the looks section) with a preference for mid-thigh to maxi length and only wear around the house for lounging in.
As i measure at 41-42" chest, I find that UK size 18 will usually provide a reasonable if sometimes slightly loose fit (which is fine for my usage).
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I like cotton crinkle sun dresses. My wife bought me one in turquoise and for herself bought a coral one. Later I bought two additional ones, one in lavender and the other one in lime green. We got them from Amerimark at reduced prices. I wear them around the house and to take out trash.

I am not straight sided or flat chested so there are no problems in general with dresses fitting me.

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
henri

Summer dress, or try a Skirt and Blouse?

Post by henri »

It is not so difficult to work out your size, and you have had some useful replies from regular contributors. Take a tailor's tape measure with you, and if your partner likes your yearning to wear a dress, take her with you. Start with a plain colour that suits you, avoid flowers and fussy patterns unless you are quite happy to be considered a transvestite. I wear a plain coloured skirt and stockings, but I am not a TV.
Compare the chest, waist and hip (bottom / arse / ass) measurements and then measure the skirt or dress in the shop. I suggest you try separates first, ie a skirt and blouse. Do you want to wear a unisex shirt or T-Shirt. or wear a woman's blouse?
Again try a large self service store, we have ASDA, which is owned by the dreaded WalMart group, but even these stores have their uses. Look on the Web at mail order and check out their sizing charts.
The only thing I could not get was a bra, as I have small manboobs from gynecomastia, caused by a drug I have to take. Others writing in this thread have had similar problems with bras, especially if you are a big guy.
Don't be defeated at the simplest stage, buying the clothes. It is how your friends or work colleagues react.
Take the plunge, happy shopping!
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

A rural pub in England would have been a place dear to the hearts of dress wearers, though, like the middle east, only one style predominates, and that is an all season dress. This dress, as I have said before, was common to all of Europe as well, including Russia.

Quoting William Cobbett in November 1822 "At the Holly Bush at Headly there was a room full of fellows in white smock-frocks, drinking and smoking and talking, and I who was then dry and warm, moralised within myself on their folly in spending their time in such a way. But, when I got down from Hindhead to the public-house at Road Lane, with my skin soaking and my teeth chattering, I thought just such another group, whom I saw through the window sitting round a good fire with pipes in their mouths, the wisest assembly I have ever set eyes on." This garment, though dying out, through the advent of the industrial revolution, where loose clothing was hazardous to the wearer while attending the processes involved, lasted in rural backwaters, till the 1914 1918 war which, unfortunately, killed it off entirely. And again, in 1823 regarding Sussex "The men and boys wear smock-frocks more than they do jn some counties.(now this is the interesting observation) " When country people do not, they always look dirty and comfortless A day later he wrote ---" the landlady sent her son to get me some cream, and he was just such a chap as I was at his age, and dressed in just the same sort of way, his main garment being a blue smock-frock, faded from wear, and mended with pieces of new stuff, and of course, not faded. The sight of this smock-frock brought to my recollection many things very dear to me."
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Lawrence de Grande

Post by Lawrence de Grande »

JohnH wrote:I like cotton crinkle sun dresses. My wife bought me one in turquoise and for herself bought a coral one. Later I bought two additional ones, one in lavender and the other one in lime green. We got them from Amerimark at reduced prices. I wear them around the house and to take out trash.

I am not straight sided or flat chested so there are no problems in general with dresses fitting me.

John
I just bought a summer dress very similar to the one in that picture. They are the most comfortable things to wear in the heat of summer.
andrew9602

Post by andrew9602 »

unfortunately I don't look great in a skirt. I am quite keen to get started with dresses, but will probably find that I look like a gorilla in one
I can see that it is going to be tricky to find a nice one which fits & looks good on me.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Maybe you need to try a few different styles until you find something that works on you. You could have a look through the "pics and looks" section here for a few ideas. What have you tried so far?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

I tried a couple of dresses, not the "strappy" top variety, but I didn't look right and certainly didn't feel right. My wife is all for me wearing skirts, tops and cardigans, suitable for very hot, warm ,cold even very cold and she to says I don't look right in a dress. Being tall, long legged and only a 33 inch waist perhaps doesn't help, so I stick only to calf length skirts, tops and cardigans in which I feel far more comfortable in. No one else has seen me in a dress but friends say I look good in a skirt but don't think a dress looks right on a man, I also get many compliments out and about in a skirt so that is confirmation enough for me.

Each to their own, but I personally feel a dress is not for a man, but wear what is comfortable for you not because you feel you have to.

All the best.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
norstdresses
Member Extraordinaire

Post by norstdresses »

Dear Dinoco,

I am wearing dresses since 2005 and I purchase my dresses mostly directly in the shop, sometimes I order in the internet. In the shop it is easy to select dresses and ask to try it on. After the fitting room, I can see, if it fits or not. In most countries the staff is very helpful to assist men to find dresses or skirts. Because of my work, I travel a lot and in every country I find a nice dress for me like this. I bought it last week in Africa
me in a cotton dress worn in South Africa last week.gif
Soft yersey or t shirt dresses in A-line shape in one color and mid to maxi length are good for summer. I use the size 44 to 46 or 16UK size

Have fun with your dress and be sure, you want get it off any more

Freedom for men to wear dresses at any time
norstdresses
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

The best Summer dresses I have are are light denim ones I got a few a few years ago. Shorter than I usually wear these days, but really nice wide skirt. Really good at festivals like WOMAD.
I will put pockets into one of these before Summer.
See if I've got a photo of one.
The easiest thing was to put one on and get out there and photograph it:
Also, there is a shot of this dress over a cotton knit at WOMAD one year..
Last edited by Jack Williams on Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
norstdresses
Member Extraordinaire

Post by norstdresses »

Dear Jack,
this is a very nice one and it fits perfectly on your body, congratulations. I am looking for dresses like this, its a little bit shorter. My favorite summer dress is this one
my homedress.gif
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Yes, I wear them somewhat shorter these days.
Was trying to locate this shot at WOMAD.
See how I go!
norstdresses
Member Extraordinaire

Post by norstdresses »

I will purchase this summer more dresses, because here its a paradise for me who likes to wear dresses

This long dress I found on Monday in a little shop and I kept it on directly from the shop.
summer dress for hot days.gif
another summer dress.gif
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Wow! I'll have to have a go at red.
Might be a bit far out in this tiny ultra-conservative country.
See if I can find the WOMAD shot: