HOW MANY SKIRTS DO YOU OWN?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
skirtilator
Member Extraordinaire

Re: HOW MANY SKIRTS DO YOU OWN?

Post by skirtilator »

WOW, I just counted mine and I've got 22 outright skirts. And 47 kilts, of which only 10 are traditional legth, the rest are as long as 15" and as short as 12". I just realized something: Given that the kilt community pretty much defines kilts as knee length I am WAY more a mugsman than I am a kiltman. LOL I guess you could say I have 69 mugs, 14.5% of which are outright kilts. I'm 85.5% mugsman. Well I'll be.

Mug ON!
Do you have just 69 skirts or is there a significant number of dresses among them?
WesleyN
Member Extraordinaire

Post by WesleyN »

I had in the past very much skirts and dresses. How many I don't know. Now I have 6 skirts and 3 dresses. And I think it's enough. It is an strange addiction of me. Buying skirts and other clothes.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

I recently went through my clothing and purged quit a bit of things that I just wasnt wearing.
As a result I'm now for to 2 Kilts and the 4 skirts and i'm thinking for tossing one of those into the recycle bin as well.

I just had way too much clothing much of it I had not worn in many years so into the recycle bin they went.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

You can only wear one at a time.
I doubt that there's any importance in the number, just the satisfaction derived from wearing what you like.
Laundry requirements aside, that is.
Steve.
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

And space for storage.

John
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

My dear wife has enhanced my dress collection. Last summer she got me a crinkle cotton dress that I liked so much I bought two other dresses of that type with different colors.

And then my wife got me three warm flannel dresses for winter for Christmas along with two purses.

John
orthohawk

Post by orthohawk »

I have 4 skirts that I can wear at this moment; one is in the wings for when I lose a bit of weight. The 4 I can wear now I'll be able to wear when I lose the weight as well. Anyway, my ankle length denim (the skirt of the Office Sartorial War fame ;)), a black Macabi, another black, mid-calf cotton, and a purple mid-calf cotton-poly. I like the Macabi, but dang, they're expensive. The black cotton and the purple one (and the one in the wings) were all bought from Goodwill on Quarter Day (the day where everything marked with a certain color tag is only a quarter). Oh, and my Smith tartan kilt which I won't be able to fit into again till I get rid of about 60 pounds, sigh. In addition to those, I have 6 arabian thobes, which are robes with shirt-like sleeves and chest pockets and also a standup collar. Basically they're just shirts that happen to be long enough to go down to my ankles ;). I wear those a LOT.

Due to my fluctuating weight, and the fact that I despise buttons, snaps, etc. I restrict my skirting to elastic waist (either partial (i.e. back) as with the in-the-wings skirt, or else full, as with the rest of them). I have a sizing question.....actually a couple: 1. Are sizes standard? My denim skirt is supposedly sized 20 but the in-the-wings skirt is a size 18 and I have about a centimeter to go before it'll even fasten (hence its in-the-wings status, lol). and this leads to question 2: for elastic waist skirts, is the size based on the "at rest" measurement or the "full stretch out" measurement?
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

This topic has been well documented in other threads but the answer is basically yes and no! There are supposed to be sizes such as 14, 16, 18 etc and these are based on the waist less 20 so a 14 is a 34 waist. But as with most things pertaining to wimmen it's not that straightforward. And introducing XS, S, M, L, XL etc just introduces ambiguity as one manufacturers M is another's L. Best take a dressmaker's tape measure which never lies.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I notice numerical sizing is consistent in the U.S. - I wear a dress size of 20. Letter sizing is wildly inconsistent. For example, if I get a garment from Wal-Mart the letter sizing is 2X. On the other hand, from Roamans or WomanWithin it is L.

John
skirtilator
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtilator »

@Orthohawk The Macabi is more versatile than a kilt or any other high quality male skirt but a lot cheaper in comparission. It is not just a skirt, it is a garment for all ocassions. Imagine you would have to buy a loin cloth, a knee length skirt, a shorts and a pair of trousers made of quick dry nylon fabric.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Agreed, Skirtilator. I love my Macabi. Eventually I will have a UK, perhaps some other non-tartan kilts, but the Mac will always be a favorite.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

At present, I own somewhere around four dozen skirts of varying lengths, everything from a 15 inch denim mini to a couple of 38 inch knit maxis. I wear a size 14, but have a couple of 12's that I can fit into.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

It's good to read you again, Jeff! I hope the intervening time has been good to you.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

crfriend wrote:It's good to read you again, Jeff! I hope the intervening time has been good to you.
Pretty decent overall. I can't complain. Life keeps me busy, but that's a good thing.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
scooterskirt

Post by scooterskirt »

This thread got me to thinking I hadn't counted them for a long time and I was curious, I know its a fair amount. So it comes to 58 skirts of all kinds from 15" mini to ankle length maxis, lots of denim ones and most types of fabrics, wool, cotton, linen, leather and I think my favorite, polyester-spandex blend, I love the fit and feel of those. I also have a skirt suit, so theres another, but I need to alter the waist on that one, its a little big and doesn't stay up too well. Dresses I have 23 and 2 dress suits. I try to wear most on a semi-regular basis, short ones in summer and long ones in the cooler times. I could get rid of a few and probably not miss them too much.