HOW MANY SKIRTS DO YOU OWN?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: HOW MANY SKIRTS DO YOU OWN?

Post by crfriend »

scooterskirt wrote:I also have a skirt suit [...]
That's an option I am very interested in pursuing but need to (1) settle in at my new job for a bit longer and introduce them to my sartorial preferences and (2) figure out what proportions I want to use on the thing so I can have it look good with either trousers or a skirt.

Kirbstone has a positively smashing one, and I admit more than a bit of envy about it, but the price is a wee bit rich for my abilities at the moment given (1) above and the fact that I was out of work (of necessity) for almost a half-year.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I couldn't agree more. Indulging in tailor-made apparel is always exponentially more expensive than finding stuff on a retailer's rail. Thank the Lord for the Seasons, though, the shops always have stuff available at knock-down prices, almost regardless of the time of year. It just requires time to sift through in order to find something that works for you, but that's fun, too.

Tom.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
scooterskirt

Post by scooterskirt »

My skirt suit I bought at Goodwill, it was brand new with tags for $12.50. I had been looking for one for awhile and I couldn't pass it up at that price. Ebay is also a great place, they go for $15-25 a lot. The only problem with them, for me anyway, is that in order for the jacket to fit, the skirt is usually was too big in the waist. A size 24 jacket fits me pretty good but my skirt size is more like an 18 or 20. I do have a plain black jacket, part of a pants suit, that I wear with basic black skirts and that looks okay, but I like colors/stripes/patterns a bit more.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

sctrskrt, The dichotomy between top sizes and bottom sizes with men wearing clothes designed for women is well known. For me I would take a 20 or 22 top but a 14 or 16 skirt. MOH and I are the same chest size and hence the same top size!
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Derek Plattis
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Derek Plattis »

Sinned wrote:sctrskrt, The dichotomy between top sizes and bottom sizes with men wearing clothes designed for women is well known. For me I would take a 20 or 22 top but a 14 or 16 skirt.
Yep - I'm a 20-22 blouse size and a 16-18 skirt size. Dresses have to be at least 18.

Derek :)
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Most of my skirts are size 14, but I do have a couple of 12's that are stretchy and are perfectly wearable. For dresses, I'm around a 16 because of my upper body, but jackets and blazers are a problem because sleeves just aren't quite long enough for my taste.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Yeah, the sleeves on most women's clothes seem to be too short, often deliberately so. The tops that I tend to wear have very little sleeve as in a t-shirt or no sleeve at all. Hate those tops where the end of the sleeve is in the middle of nowhere.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

Working in the charity shop , I noticed that women,s jumpers and jackets generally had sleeves longer than the bodice. I found that these waist-length jackets looked good wth skirts or kilts for me, as I Have a fairly short torso, but I never found any that I could fit into comfortably. Men,s pullovers are made shorter now than they were some years ago, but there was a time that the average men,s pullover looked ridiculous on me.
Seeing the ever-increasing size of people around me, I sometimes wonder Where I Would be able to find clothes that fit me if I has manyy more years to live.
Martin
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Sinned wrote:Yeah, the sleeves on most women's clothes seem to be too short, often deliberately so. The tops that I tend to wear have very little sleeve as in a t-shirt or no sleeve at all. Hate those tops where the end of the sleeve is in the middle of nowhere.
Well, I'm 6 foot 2 with fairly long arms, so most women's tops, save for Talls come up short when it comes to sleeves. But I tend to luck out when it comes to turtlenecks and mocknecks which I wear exclusively in the fall and winter. When spring and summer roll around, I've already switched over to short sleeves (polo shirts, campshirts) which look good on me.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

I currently have 7 skirts/kilts comprising of one plaid kilt, two utilitikilts (one beige, one black), two ladies cargo skirts (one khaki approx. 17" long, one 15" mid-brown), one dark blue denim skirt (M&S) approx. 20" long and one stretch denim mini-skirt approx. 13.5" in length (similar to my avatar)

I had more but had to get rid of other short/shorter ones.

I would like to get more but...
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
barefoot_kevin

Post by barefoot_kevin »

I have two tartan kilts, 1 Campbell (mother's family) & 1 MacLaren (Boy Scout - Woodbadge), 3 UtiliKilt Mockers ( 1 ea Olive, Cream, and Heather Grey), 1 Camo kilt, 1 Mountain Hardware Elkommando kilt, 1 long charcoal Macabi, 1 Columbia Saturday Trail skirt in "fossil", 1 green & purple plaid ankle length linen wrap skirt, 2 denim skirts (1 knee-length, one mid calf), 3 different sarongs, 1 black Nike Dri-Fit running skirt.

I'd like to find a nice wool ankle or mid calf for the winter.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Not to boast, but I own 45 skirts at present, running the length gamut from a 13 inch denim mini to a 40 inch maxi and everything inbetween. Most of my skirts are denim which works well as casual attire but can be dressed up with appropriate tops and footwear, but I also have some dressier knits as well. As for lengths, a goodly number are around 20 inches but I have around half a dozen that are 15 inches. I literally have skirts I can wear winter, spring, summer and fall.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

As I mentioned before, I have as many skirts, I believe, as I do pants/shorts now. Tonight I'm wearing a dress, though...a black racerback tank dress from Alloy.com...and since I have gotten a bit chilly from a rainy afternoon spent inside in the AC, I have a long sleeved T pulled over it.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
MrNaturalAZ
Distinguished Member

Post by MrNaturalAZ »

My inventory is thus:

Three Utilikilts
Two "other" utility/cargo kilts
an Elkommando kilt
Four simple wraps (Sarong, Pareo, Lavalava; basic fabric rectangles to be wrapped about the waist and tied or rolled to secure)

That makes for a total of ten unbifurcated garments.
No shirt, no shoes, no pants, no gods. No worries!
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

MrNaturalAZ wrote: That makes for a total of ten unbifurcated garments.
That is quite a collection for a naturist!

Martin