Denim Skirts

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Denim Skirts

Post by Gregg1100 »

Some longish skirts here- cheap too

http://www.marisota.co.uk/shop/search/w ... enim+skirt
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Denim Skirts

Post by Jack Williams »

Love my denim skirts. The most easily male skirts!
DALederle
Member Extraordinaire

Post by DALederle »

I have always felt that when men gain the right to wear skirts, that the denim skirt will be the main stay of a man's skirted wardrobe. Especially if it has some masculine style to it, with features like belt loops and pockets. Most men struggle with the image of skirts, even male skirts (such as kilts) because there is a preconcieved notion that skirts and bare legs equal female in most people's mind.
A denim skirt has the chance to look like a pair of jeans and would probably be easiest to put over as part of a man's wardrobe.

Dennis A. Lederle
:D
Grok?
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

You're probably right on that one, Dennis, a couple of inches below the knees, A-Line Cargo style with lots of pockets. In either blue or black denim or tan or gray khaki. Able to be used for lots of different styles of work as well as hiking and bicycling. :D :D
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
TomH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TomH »

DALederle wrote:man's skirted wardrobe. Especially if it has some masculine style to it, with features like belt loops and pockets.

Most of my everyday, go to town skirts fit that description. Not always the most comfortable, but certainly the most useful and 'normal' for me as I use three pockets to carry my extra stuff that makes up my life. Paper money, clippers, coins, keys, a small pill capsule and wallet. I see no reason to change my style after all these years just because I'm not wearing those shorts and trousers that imprison my parts anymore.

Around the house and yard where those 'pocket things' are not far away or not needed, I have some much 'softer' skirts about knee length that would hang strangely with loaded pockets. Good lounging, comfortable attire that I almost can't feel or feels good...

And the everyday skirts are not so many denim anymore as time goes on. Left to right flies that button and zip are quite common and readily available in lots of materials. My wife says I'm using more closet and drawer space than she... (I'm still picking color and style that suits me)

Tom
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I cannot disagree about the denim, but are pockets such a necessity in a skirt? I invariably wear a shirt or jacket which more than covers the necessities, i.e. pipe, tobacco, spare cash, cards and mobile (cell) phone etc. Kilt wearers are even better off with the sporran, which really was the original manbag.
Point being, I would not rule out, or in, any skirt on the basis of it's storage capacity.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I'll happily second Stevie's second comment about carrying carrying capacity of any given skirt. It's perfectly possible to accommodate the usual pile of male props using "up top" capacity, whether that's in jacket pockets, shirt pockets, waistcoat pockets, or any combination thereof. There's also the option of an off-body bag. So, when it comes down to brass tacks, pockets in the skirt itself really don't matter all that much.

I will state that I hold denim in the worst possible regard as a fabric. It's stiff, it's scratchy (the only thing I've found worse has been cheap wool), and (at least on my body) it has the lasting power of a snowball in {insert your most feared hot-spot here}. It's thoroughly repulsive stuff on many levels -- which is why I do not own a single square millimetre of the stuff, and haven't for decades. (Sapphire did buy me a pair of jeans some 21 years or so ago, thinking I'd look "hot" in them; I found them hideously uncomfortable, it showed, they dissolved in about six months and became unwearable in public, and that was that. End of experiment. I still do not know if she thought me "hot" in them, but do know that she likes me in skirts now.)

When it comes to carrying capacity, skirts did force me to do a re-think on what I carry around on a daily basis; I came to the conclusion that I was carrying vastly more stuff around than I needed to, and pared it back. Unfortunately, with work now issuing a "smart 'phone" to me every three weeks so I can be woken up at any random hour of the night, I've started carrying a bag if I have a paucity of pocket-space in my upper garments (the heavy skirts can take the weight; the lighter ones cannot, and summer is coming -- maybe).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

Yes, I thought you did look hot, but the visual effect was spoiled by all the complaining.

Yes, I do like you in skirts now.
Moderation is for monks. To enjoy life, take big bites.
-------Lazarus Long
Sylvain

Post by Sylvain »

STEVIE wrote:I cannot disagree about the denim, but are pockets such a necessity in a skirt? I invariably wear a shirt or jacket which more than covers the necessities, i.e. pipe, tobacco, spare cash, cards and mobile (cell) phone etc.
If so, why do pants have pockets?
skirted

Post by skirted »

I have 6 denim skirts at the last count, and have been wearing nothing but skirts since January 21, had to wear pants this weekend for a class i had to take but could not wait to get back in to a skirt. I find that with a denim skirt on no one even seems to notice me, or i just dont even noice any one looking. I live in Wisconsin near the Dells.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Let's face it, pants or trousers have pockets because of the hidebound designs we live with. There truly is no practical reason why a skirt or pants for that matter "must" have them.
To get back closer to thread. Denim, when it's suitably aged and pliant can be one of the most comfortable fabrics for skirt or trousers.
However, I would not want to get "boxed in" and see it as an exclusively acceptable material for a male oriented skirt.
Steve.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Pockets down below are a necessity for me, I don't wear jackets, just a polo shirt up top, unless I am going out, but my normal jackets do not have enough pockets for wallet, change, 2 phones and keys. S pockets are a must for me. Most of my denim skirts have 6 pockets, 2 usually carry my phones, (One is for work), the pockets in my outdoor jackets hold everything else.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
straightfairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by straightfairy »

I find pockets in trousers a necessity, and hence find them a necessity for skirts too - must have at least two, if not four, to carry things in when i'm only wearing a T shirt as a top.
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

I also find pockets a necessity on skirts. Most of the skirts I have either have no pockets or very small ones. Definitely not big enough for a phone, wallet, and keys... :( With my Utilikilts, there's definitely no problems... big pockets!

--Rick
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JRMILLER »

Summertime -- in the summer, I wear T-shirts with my kilts/skirts. Thus, pockets are necessary. Not interested in carrying another appliance like a "man-bag".
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")