Dresses!

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
TomH
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Dresses!

Post by TomH »

As for using a back zipper for us old guys and anyone not familiar working behind your back, the neat bit about skirts, just put it on and zip it in the front like we've always done and then spin it around back...

Try doing that with trousers!

Tom
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

Yes Tom, I agree it's a very handy trick & I've done it but, unless the skirt is loose enough round the waist, the next five minutes are spent rearranging a corkscrewed shirt :shock:
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Sarongman wrote:Yes Tom, I agree it's a very handy trick & I've done it but, unless the skirt is loose enough round the waist, the next five minutes are spent rearranging a corkscrewed shirt :shock:
OK for a skirt at least you don't have to be a contortionist
BUT to zip the zipper on a dress now that is something else.
No twisting or rotating a dress unless it is sleevless/topless !

I have found using a bit of dental floss or fish line and a paper
clip to hook in the eye of the zipper works as long as the dress
is not a tight fit across the back. When the dress is a tight fit
raising the arms to work the fish line causes the two zipper
sides to part and bind up then I resort to plan 'B' and fastened
the end to the top of door jam or curtin rod and slowly lower
myself down using the hands if necessary to pinch the fabric
shut to make the zipping easier.

In reality wearing a skirt or dress that has a difficult zipper maybe
a sign that the size is too small but vanity works wonders on
squeezing that last inch out of an ole favorite that befits you !

"Skirt-Kilt-ON"
rma
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

I would like to see a pic in the zippered dress, which sounds a lot more "tailored" than mine, which are either pull over the head a-la t-shirts, or open at the neck shirt-dresses.
Which I also pull on over the head as per t-shirts..
Last edited by Jack Williams on Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

What I do when I put on a fitted dress with the zipper in the back is pull the dress as far down as it will go hanging from my shoulders and reach in back from the side and zip it up as hight as I can. Next, I pull the dress up and reach over my shoulder and grab the zipper and finish the job.

John
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

My chambermaid does all that for me, but first she pulls all the strings to do up my corsets nice & tight so A/ my breathing comes in short little puffs and B/ I haven't a hope of stooping down to pick up my opera gloves off the floor......She has to do that for me too. :wink:

I won't elaborate on her other duties, here.

T.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Getting another big skirted shirt-dress together, a sort of "chambre" blue at present, but there's still sewing, dying, and other "processing" needed before I will be satisfied with it. Should be a good thing for the winter,as these layer really well over other t-dresses and stuff. Have already a dusky black one, but good to also have somewhat different one as well.
Hazy

Post by Hazy »

Jack Williams wrote:Dresses are the final frontier.....The ones I have now are really girls' ones converted.
I agree. So much easier to wear a skirt (with masculine overtones) than a dress. I have many skirts but only two dresses, that are not converted in any way, and look a bit too femme for my liking but are very comfortable and easy to wear. I can get out wearing a skirt and not think much of it, but the rare occasions times out in a dress I admit to a bit of self consciousness. I guess it's about being true to ones self though and I'll continue to fly the flag so to speak.

Cheers

Hazy
MoonDrake

Post by MoonDrake »

Hazy wrote:
Jack Williams wrote:Dresses are the final frontier.....The ones I have now are really girls' ones converted.
I agree. So much easier to wear a skirt (with masculine overtones) than a dress. I have many skirts but only two dresses, that are not converted in any way, and look a bit too femme for my liking but are very comfortable and easy to wear. I can get out wearing a skirt and not think much of it, but the rare occasions times out in a dress I admit to a bit of self consciousness. I guess it's about being true to ones self though and I'll continue to fly the flag so to speak.

Cheers

Hazy

I am very confident and I find myself a little self conscious from time to time. Ex. Picking kids up from school nurse/ principle, my grams church....ext.. Ext... But I tough it out and hold my head high. I made a dress from a pair of Key coveralls and 90% of folks never even notice that it's a dress. I'm working up a few ,"one piece" designs. Hide a dress, lmao.
"When the gates of hell are full the dead shall walk the earth"
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

I would like see a photo of that one.
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Hazy wrote:

Cheers

Hazy
Yes, have to do a bit of sewing to get them to my liking myself.
But I have to say I love them!
Lawrence de Grande

Post by Lawrence de Grande »

In my advancing years I have mostly given up on fancy fitted dresses. I mostly wear loose fitting hippie style dresses and then only at home. They are very easy to slip on over my head without the fight with the zipper. Only recently have I decided to start wearing skirts "out in the wild" and find myself enjoying it more with each new outing.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Lawrence de Grande wrote:...Only recently have I decided to start wearing skirts "out in the wild" and find myself enjoying it more with each new outing.
Yes, definitely; the more you do it, the easier it gets and the more enjoyable.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
norstdresses
Member Extraordinaire

Post by norstdresses »

yes, it is often a challenge to find a dress what fits good on the masculine body. I avoid to buy dresses with specific cuts for woman. T shirt dresses o A-line soft cotton dresses are easy to find and many of them fit to mens body
green shirt dress.gif
my wearing the black long dress.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Right-o, here is a shot in the modified EastEssence shirt-dress with the Wahmaker Trapper's Vest that I took today out in the wind with other long dresses underneath.
I reckon that vest is what that dress does need. Completes it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.