Dresses!

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
norstdresses
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Dresses!

Post by norstdresses »

definitely, the west looks great to this dress. Where do you get your silkbody dress. I would like to have one

best dressed greetings
yesterday after work wearing my black long dress.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Now that really is a goodie.
Long is more my style these days too.
I like these of a few years ago, but maybe a bit short these daze.
What do you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
norstdresses
Member Extraordinaire

Post by norstdresses »

It looks great. It is not too short. Dresses above knee are looking very good on you. My newest skirt is a long black soft cotton one. I wore it last week for going out for dinner (informal)
Sunday outfit for restaurant visit in my long summer skirt.gif
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

"Where do you get your silkbody dress. I would like to have one".

best dressed greetings
yesterday after work wearing my black long dress.gif
[/quote]

Here is a link to Silkbody: http://www.silkbody.co.nz/woman/dresses.html
norstdresses
Member Extraordinaire

Post by norstdresses »

Thank you for the Link. It will be very complicated to ship to Botswana. I will find some of them somewhere.

have a nice dressed day
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I have always been rather hesitant about dresses. They look very comfortable; but when I have tried them I have felt "wrong" and that awkwardness will undoubtedly show, so I have never taken the plunge. However, today as I was passing Matalan I noticed signs advertising "The Kilt £14". Obviously this was not going to be a kilt as we know it, but I went in to have a look anyway. OK, it's a mini skirt with a zip entry and the zip at the back; it has no aprons (it's not a wrap) and is pleated at the front but not the back. How on earth is that a kilt? Despite that, I reckon it's OK and worn back to front it was rather tempting, particularly the grey and black tartan (it did not look as short on me as it does on the model) however, I resisted.

Before I left the store though I spotted the point of this post, this dress. I decided that I was worth a try as a tunic length dress to be worn over fitted trousers, heavy tights or leggings. The top is very t-shirt like in line although the material is rather heavier and lined making it surprisingly warm. The hem line is pretty dramatic over bare legs :shock: but as a tunic top I was surprised how "right" it looked even with rather inappropriate suit trousers.

I did not succumb to temptation, but think I may well do so at the weekend. I can't see myself wearing this as a dress, but as a long top it may be just the thing to get me (and others around me?) used to the idea.

Have fun,

Ian.

PS I have submitted a review to the Matalan website, making it plain that I'm a guy (it stretched the truth slightly as I said I'd bought one, but that will likely be true soon). I wonder whether it will be published or draw any response...
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Ian,
Have a look at my dress down days in pics and looks.
There's a red/black check skirt which was described as a kilt, that's Matalan.
It's simple, pleat and skirt equals kilt, no matter how tenuous. One of the best buys I ever made and the only one I've ever seen a female wearing.
It's also one that drew one of my best compliments from a total stranger on my usual Sunday jaunt.
That one saw a lot of use at work this year, dress codes were relaxed due to the warm weather and I went "short" with that one rather than going denim like so many colleagues.
Damn sight more comfortable it was too.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Milfmog wrote:I can't see myself wearing this as a dress, but as a long top it may be just the thing to get me (and others around me?) used to the idea.
I could see myself wearing that as a dress during the summer months (depending on how the geometry might work; I'm quite tall), but probably not during what we're coming in for soon the New England. (It's already getting down to freezing a night and will only get colder as the days shorten.)

It'll be interesting to see if the commentary gets published.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

All this talk of dresses and how comfortable they are has got me wondering if I should try one. Same problem as the rest of you, trying to find something that fits the male form reasonable well. I have found this http://www.landsend.co.uk/Womens_Regula ... teo_Banner - for summer wear only, I should think! But the neckline is good and it doesn't look too fitted round the waist.

Main drawback is that Mrs SS and the kids would probably go ballistic. Maybe I've pushed it far enough already.

Still tempted, though.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtyscot wrote:Main drawback is that Mrs SS and the kids would probably go ballistic. Maybe I've pushed it far enough already.
In a solid, that'd be a pretty good option. That striped one, however, does, to my eye, seem "problematic".

If anybody has any qualms about the matter, good ol' Jack Williams has put up a couple of absolutely splendid looks with his shirt-dresses -- and those paired with waistcoats are "killer". (US term there, it's used to denote "ultimate" and "perfectly suited to purpose".)

There's a shop along the road I used to course every day to get to/from work that had a shop proclaiming "Custom-Made Shirts". I should, at some point, stick my snout in there to see if they'd be willing to custom-craft a shirt-dress for me. After all, it shouldn't hurt to ask. The worst they can (legally) do is tell me to sod off. However, I should solve my "employment problem" first.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

The dress I ordered nearly six weeks ago has finally arrived. Living so far out of town, we get a card informing that a parcel is to be picked up at the main Post Office. Either the card was not sent out, or it inadvertently was put into a neighbour's box. Anyway, I got an URGENT REMINDER card, and this after laboriously tracking from point of origin and about to ring the P.O. head office. This ankle length hooded denim, while a little tight under the arms, is definitely designed for a pretty well flat chested person and, to my mind anyway, looks good on. Now to get some photo manipulation software on the laptop, or replace the old desktop with a new one and install W8.1.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Andrew - -
STAY AWAY FROM WIN 8 AND ANY DERIVATIVE :!:
IT'S A ROYAL PAIN IN THE CHAIR :!:

I have a friend who has a 'new' computer with Win 8. It's a major dumb-down
of everything. What used to take him 3 clicks to process a publisher file now
takes 9 mouse clicks to do the same thing. Win 8 is designed for 'touch screen'
which most, if not all, desk-top units do not have.

I'm running Win 7 and really like it. Took some getting used to but it does
work similar to Win XP. Many nice features with Win 7. I don't plan on
upgrading my system to Win 8 or 8.something.

(....There are days when I wish I was still using Win 3.11 :( :twisted: ....)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

crfriend wrote:
Milfmog wrote:I can't see myself wearing this as a dress, but as a long top it may be just the thing to get me (and others around me?) used to the idea.
I could see myself wearing that as a dress during the summer months (depending on how the geometry might work; I'm quite tall)...
From past posts, I believe you are around an inch taller than I am (I'm 6'3"). On me, that dress is short enough to raise eyebrows if I stray from the vertical in any way; I don't think it would permit me to sit modestly and bending to pick anything up would be rather too revealing for comfort (both mine and the viewers!)
It'll be interesting to see if the commentary gets published.
It has been published! I wonder whether it will garner any further comment...

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

crfriend wrote: In a solid, that'd be a pretty good option. That striped one, however, does, to my eye, seem "problematic".
Strange you said this. My reaction was that the stripes made the dress look like a long football* shirt, therefore "masculine".

Martin
(* European!)
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

skirtyscot wrote:All this talk of dresses and how comfortable they are has got me wondering if I should try one.
That was the thing that drew me into trying one on. The rear zip is a bit of a pain, but manageable, even with my damaged shoulder.
I have found this http://www.landsend.co.uk/Womens_Regula ... teo_Banner - for summer wear only, I should think! But the neckline is good and it doesn't look too fitted round the waist.
I've been looking for something like that for ages, but have so far failed to find anything that will fit me. I'm 6'3" tall and have not been accused of being a racing snake for a very long time so definitely at the upper end of any size range. I rather like the stripes; my first thought was "rugby shirt - nothing effeminate about that!".

I have found a couple of companies that sell long polo shirts, but at the length I want, the horizontal measurement is ridiculous, I might as well buy an old sack.
Main drawback is that Mrs SS and the kids would probably go ballistic.
I don't think Carole would react too badly, but I feel certain there would be a measure of push back. Last week we had a "make an effort" meal at home. This is a meal we go to town on and dress for the occasion as if we were going out (tournedos rossini and a stonking good bottle of borolo are not an everyday option at Milfmog Towers). I chose to wear the long black "Svenjoyment" skirt with a green Jacobite shirt. Carole actually commented that she rather liked it, but that some other people had issues with it. This is real progress; the first time she has said that she sees it as other peoples problem. The conversation continued for a while about how daft some people are when it comes to judging people by their clothing or associating clothing with sexuality.
Maybe I've pushed it far enough already.
That was my thought; should I stop pushing the envelope for a while and consolidate the gains to date, or keep pushing while the going is good? This was the reason I did not buy the dress on Wednesday. I am still uncertain, but think I will buy it anyway, even if I decide not to wear it for a while.

Have fun,

Ian.