Dresses!

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
DALederle
Member Extraordinaire

Dresses!

Post by DALederle »

I have always felt that a dress is a much better garment then a skirt and shirt.
But they are designed for woman.
Maybe if someone designed a dress to fit a man's body it might go over as a new male fashion.
Though probably not given the inertia of men's tired old fashion choices (which are pants or pants, as we all know.)
But just think about it. Dresses for men would at least create a public splash for men's fashion freedom and probably get some people's attention. Even if the dresses didn't go over it might open things up for skirts for men.
Who knows?
It might be worth a try!

Dennis A. Lederle
Grok?
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Re: Dresses!

Post by Since1982 »

Sorry to tell you Dennis but it's been tried, by no less a fashionista than Mark Jacobs. It went over like a lead balloon. The models that wore what he designed looked like slaves in ancient Rome. Square necklines, mid-bicep sleeves, knee length garment, leather sandals. In single colors. Blue or White with red stripes. He didn't think of Red, White and Blue or the models would have looked like American flags. :D :D :D

This was about 4 years ago. :roll:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Mindermast

Post by Mindermast »

Since1982 wrote:Sorry to tell you Dennis but it's been tried, by no less a fashionista than Mark Jacobs. It went over like a lead balloon. The models that wore what he designed looked like slaves in ancient Rome. Square necklines, mid-bicep sleeves, knee length garment, leather sandals. In single colors. Blue or White with red stripes. He didn't think of Red, White and Blue or the models would have looked like American flags. :D :D :D

This was about 4 years ago. :roll:
Reminds me of a photograph of men in over-knee boots! It wasn't even remotely close to men's fashion, it simply looked hilarious. I think, such presentations are meant to be the same as "car design studies" on exhibition fairs. An attraction, perhaps a bit of showing off and no intention to go commercial with such designs. Well, some ideas to into production sometimes, for example there are "gladiator sandals" now - for women...

I think, it is the job of freestylers to come up with something wearable first. On the other hand, there are quite a few examples in history and other parts of the world, interesting article here: http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hikin ... skirts.htm (I wonder if the author is a member of this forum too). Have a look at movies and online games with wizards and the like as well - and remember, many priest do wear robes, which are basically dresses.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Just find a dress you like, and if you are flat chested, you can alter the chest area of the dress so you don't have it look hollowed out. Others of us such as myself might not have to alter the dress. The chest area is slightly loose but it's OK given that there are women that are not well endowed.

John
DALederle
Member Extraordinaire

Post by DALederle »

Skip:
I know there have been bad attempts. I just thought and still think, a good attempt with some masculine styling done to present it right could be a winner.
Some shirt-waisted with pockets and real masculine line to it.
Much as I hate it, probably a blue denim too. A "jeans" dress in plain lines.
Ah, but that's wishful thinking!
That and $5 get's me a cup of coffee today!
That's Starbuck inflation for you. THe 25 cent cup of coffee is long gone!

Dennis A. Lederle
Grok?
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I have a house dress with pockets, and trust me, pockets and dresses simply don't work. That garment hangs from the shoulders and if you put anything in the pockets it messes up how the dress hangs.

If you have a garment that is held up by the waist, e.g., pants or a skirt, then pockets of course will work.

John
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

and remember, many priests do wear robes, which are basically dresses.
Robes are not anything like dresses. Dresses are usually a much lighter color and shorter than brown or black ankle length robes, robes are always heavy thick material when worn by priests or monks. ie: Robin Hood's Friar Tuck's outfit. A dress is a garment that makes the wearer lighthearted and happy, where a think heavy robe is more for praying in or sleeping. :queen: :joker: :king:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Mindermast

Post by Mindermast »

I remember a funny incident in a small t-shirt shop, where I bought a knee-long t-shirt with a rubber around the waist. I didn't say that it was for me, probably even said that it was for a friend. But the owner, a woman in her 50s, if I remember well, almost begged me to try it on. I did, and she was amazed, told me I looked like a young god (I was around 25 then), and that it was a pity that no man wears such t-shirts. Today I would tell her the truth...

These t-shirt dresses were really cool, but I haven't seen a single one since, not even with silly prints, and that was about 20 years ago.
Mindermast

Post by Mindermast »

Robes, dresses, gowns... I looked up some definitions:

Robe:
[n] outerwear consisting of a long flowing garment used for official or ceremonial occasions
[n] any loose flowing garment

Websters Dictionary of 1913:
1 \Robe\, n. [F., fr. LL. rauba a gown, dress, garment; originally, booty, plunder. See {Rob}, v. t., and cf. {Rubbish}.]
1. An outer garment; a dress of a rich, flowing, and elegant style or make; hence, a dress of state, rank, office, or the like.
Through tattered clothes small vices do appear; Robes and furred gowns hide all. --Shak.
2. A skin of an animal, especially, a skin of the bison, dressed with the fur on, and used as a wrap. [U.S.]

Dress:
[n] clothing of a distinctive style or for a particular occasion
[n] a one-piece garment for a woman; has skirt and bodice

\Dress\, n.
1. That which is used as the covering or ornament of the body; clothes; garments; habit; apparel.
``In your soldier's dress.'' --Shak.
2. A lady's gown; as, silk or a velvet dress.

Gown:
[n] long, usually formal, woman's dress
[n] outerwear consisting of a long flowing garment used for official or ceremonial occasions
[n] protective garment worn by surgeons during operations

1 \Gown\, n. [OE. goune, prob. from W. gwn gown, loose robe,
akin to Ir. gunn, Gael. g[`u]n; cf. OF. gone, prob. of the
same origin.]
1. A loose, flowing upper garment; especially:
(a) The ordinary outer dress of a woman; as, a calico or silk gown.
(b) The official robe of certain professional men and scholars, as university students and officers, barristers, judges, etc.; hence, the dress of peace; the dress of civil officers, in distinction from military.
He Mars deposed, and arms to gowns made yield. --Dryden.
(c) A loose wrapper worn by gentlemen within doors; a dressing gown.

Apparently, I mixed up "gown" and "robe", the French word for "dress" and "gown" is "robe".
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Since1982 »

Gee..and here I was thinking 1913 was nearly a hundred years ago and things had changed quite a bit since then. O well...Old dumb me will smarten up sooner or later. :bom:

Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Minderment and JohnH, Please publish blown up photos of your avatar.
I think you're right on pockets. None of my successful dresses have pockets.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jack Williams on Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mindermast

Post by Mindermast »

no pockets on my avatar, it is a rainskirt and a vest. Well, here's a large version of the photo:
agu_inflated_avatar.jpg
But, what is the matter with pockets?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mindermast

Post by Mindermast »

I do have a dress which, as I think, looks good on men, but I am not sure, if an image would be welcome here. It is the material, I am concerned about (pvc), apart from that, the image is perfectly family friendly.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I have posted this elsewhere in this forum, but here is the picture
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Definitely still THE picture JohnH.