Dresses!

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Dresses!

Post by skirtyscot »

couyalair wrote:
crfriend wrote: In a solid, that'd be a pretty good option. That striped one, however, does, to my eye, seem "problematic".
Strange you said this. My reaction was that the stripes made the dress look like a long football* shirt, therefore "masculine".

Martin
(* European!)
That is exactly what I thought, though if you don't like the striped one, they do it plain as well http://www.landsend.co.uk/_Womens_Stret ... 20806.html , though as it is now only available in petite fittings I doubt it will fit anyone here.
But I prefer the stripey. To me it looks more masculine - sports shirt, as Ian said as well.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I have worn in the past long rugby or similar T-shirts that came anywhere from mid-thigh to knee in length. They were obviously rugby shirts as they had the white collar and short button area going down to the sternum or T-shirts as they were made from the T-shirt material. That they also had the rugby team's name and badge on them or some sort of message or logo was also a big clue. I obviously wore them with shorts or jeans but what would have been the reaction without the shorts/jeans? But what I also want to know is that as long as they were they were really no different to a short dress so at what length does a long shirt become a dress? The neckline has a bearing and possibly the sleeve design. Or is it just a case of it is what you call it? I have a yellow "dress" made of T-shirt type material with a very short sleeve that is knee length and I just don't know what category it comes in. Duh!
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:But what I also want to know is that as long as they were they were really no different to a short dress so at what length does a long shirt become a dress? The neckline has a bearing and possibly the sleeve design. Or is it just a case of it is what you call it? I have a yellow "dress" made of T-shirt type material with a very short sleeve that is knee length and I just don't know what category it comes in. Duh!
I believe this may vary with time and prevailing style.

Generally speaking, today, one gets t-shirts of various types (and I put rugby/polo shirts in that category) which stop pretty much at the hips; they can go longer into the "tunic" length, but are virtually always worn with some form of trouser underneath.

Outright dresses, however, are designed to show off the legs and are certainly not designed with the idea of wearing trousers under.

Tunics can go either way, but if one wears a hip-length t-shirt without some cover below it'll be a quick trip to the local lockup.

Mini-dresses are a bit of a special category as they can be shorter than modern tunics, but they are also tailored garments which fit the body whereas the typical tunic doesn't. Mini-dresses also tend to only look good on those of a certain body-type whereas anybody can get away with a tunic.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Yes, I too thought that striped one like to a rugby jersey. I'd definitely get one of those in a plain colour. Probably dark blue if they had one.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Weird. It's been appearing in adverts on other websites again, and the plain one is in stock, up to size M (UK 14-16) in a couple of colours.

http://www.landsend.co.uk/Womens_Stretc ... 23255.html

I have weakened and bought the stripey one. I'm still not sure it's a good idea.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

As of today they only have it in the XS which would be no good for me. I like and would wear some of the dresses but the prices are just out of my league. Even at £19.95 it would have to be something special. So not for me I'm afraid.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I was looking at the Matalan website today when I came across this dress. The first review appears to be from a male. Anyone here know anything about this or did the reviewer (itsablur) click the wrong button?

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I don't know, it's possible because generally you have the option to change a nselected option before pressing "Accept". The dress is nice enough and the price is reasonable as is most of their stuff - we have a card. The only thing that puts me off are the sleeves. The end on no man's land - neither long, short or even three-quarter. If I did get one I have to alter them. I am not at the stage of being comfortable wearing a dress yet except maybe having a jumper or something over the top half to disguise the fact. My confidence factor isn't that high yet and I haven't fully defined a style that I think would look acceptable on me. The neckline would have to be high to cover the hairy chest and the sleeves right and preferably a pull on style with no back zip and cut for a flatter chest and ....

See what I mean?

Dennis
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Sinned, I am amused by your use of the word "jumper" to disguise a dress top, since in the US a jumper *is* a dress -- generally a long, full-skirted dress with a tank top that is usually worn over a t-shirt or turtleneck sweater.

I like the upper half of that dress in the picture, but the skirt is much too short for me. I find that any time I wear a skirt or dress shorter than mid-calf, I am constantly pulling down on it to cover more of my hairy legs (or ensure I don't give the world a free show of what is or isn't underneath).

With clingy stretch fabrics I rarely feel the need to alter the top to account for my flat chest. I may have to do that with my most recent purchase, however. This dress from Roaman's fits nicely except they allowed a LOT of extra room in the balcony, so I'll have to sew those up if I don't want it to sag away from my barrel chest.
Ralph!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Language again! By jumper I mean a cardigan or sweater, something with a high neck, full length sleeves and full body. Possibly with some design or slogan on it. Something to disguise the top half and that the underlying garment is in fact a dress. I'm not yet comfortable with wearing a dress as you can gather. A skirt, yes, dress, no.

As for the dress indicated - the colours wouldn't bother me but the neckline is too low and would show off the hairs on my chest. And MOH wouldn't let me shave there - no, sir.
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Ralph,
I bookmarked that Romains dress. I'd have a snug t-shirt under it.
So, as soon as you put up a shot I'll have a better idea of it.

As an aside: here, a "cardigan" is a, usually woolen, thing with long sleeves that buttons completely open down the front.
Can't think of anyone who would ever want to flaunt one, but you never know.

The other ones mentioned, high neck, long sleeves, of sweaty "sweatshirt" material with or without hood are usually worn in these parts with "trackpants" by the local "hoods" because they are cheap and ubiqutous, so the cops have no discription.
Originally designed for sweaty athleets to put on between races so they didn't get cold. The material is quite thick cotton with a sort of fleecy effect on the inside.
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

The Queen has a few Cardigans, here's one of them :mrgreen: :alien:
Cardigan.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
norstdresses
Member Extraordinaire

Post by norstdresses »

Hi Ralph,
a great dress what you bought at Romans. I wear maxi dresses very often and just yesterday I purchased two new dresses in Gaborone. Pics are following soon
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Haven't bought it yet, as have other catalogue items to cover. Vis: Two solar powered flashlights for $40.00 including freight, and a jersey skirt for $60.00,
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthre ... Amp/page29
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Sorry, that was the totally wrong link.