Dresses!

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Dresses!

Post by Mugs-n-such »

skirtyscot wrote:So it zips up at the back. Why exactly is this a problem? On the scale of spurious objections to wearing skirts designed for women this ranks below "the (front) zip faces left not right" and pretty much equal with "the kilt opens on the left not the right". I mean, who is going to notice or care? And in the unlikely event that anyone does, why shouldn't a man's skirt zip up at the back anyway?

It is a kilty style, so most people would not expect to see a zip, front or back. If you can defy convention enough to wear a skirt, surely you can cope with the zip being at the back.

I see that shipping to the UK costs a little more than the skirt, But the total of $71.90, i.e. around £45, is still a reasonable price.
I like this reasoning. I have a skirt that looks enough like a Kilt that I do wear it in public. I think it zips up the side ...or back...but no one seems to notice or care. :-)
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mugs-n-such »

TomH wrote:As for using a back zipper for us old guys and anyone not familiar working behind your back, the neat bit about skirts, just put it on and zip it in the front like we've always done and then spin it around back...

Try doing that with trousers!

Tom
So someone besides me does this. Nice to know!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Same goes for skirts that zip commonly on the left (hip) side.
If you can not zip in place off the left then do it up front and
slip the skirt a tad back to the left and a done deal.
Most skirts that zip on the side or the back have a fixed waist
movement i.e. a waist measurement with little or no adjustment
unless the waist band has some elastic qualities - now that is
my type of skirt stretching enough to easily zip without binding.

The type of zipper sometimes makes a big difference. The hidden
in the seam nylon/plastic type just have a devil of time when
stressed as opposed to the metal track type which can take a
beating in zipping a tight waist. When the zipping gets tough
having the zipping action in front is great to see what you are
doing and not having material-lining-under garments getting
pinched in the way.

The hidden seam zipper is really neat in that it creates the
mysterious question "Just in the hell did he get into that thing"?
No visible entry points as opposed to a fly closing.
The heavy duty metal track type zipper can make a bold statement
to a rugged utility type skirt or kilt.

As with any zipper there are limits to just how far you can overstress
the zipping action before stitches are ripped and then failure of the
garment to close properly. If the stitches are not ripped then elements
of the track can become out of alinement and a zipper spreading from the
wrong end or middle is a possibility. Zipper repairs can be made but
the scene where repair was made will always be subject to extra care.
A neat trick to fix a zipper that is malfunctioning at the start of the
zip is to use super glue and permanently fix in place the problem.
You of course will loose a little bit of zip travel but should be OK otherwise.

Zipping just beats the heck out of buttons and even more so when the
buttons are in the back of a dress where you can't spin the dress around
- now where was the man-maid servant when I needed him ? LOL !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Dunno. All my dresses can be pulled on over the head like a t-shirt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WesleyN
Member Extraordinaire

Post by WesleyN »

Commonly I wear just pants (slim or skinny). But I prefer to wear skirts and sometimes I like to experience by wearing a dress.
Pictured Blurred 100x250.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ron »

I am wearing purple today

Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ron »

today is green
Steve

Post by Steve »

crfriend wrote:
Jack Williams wrote:Well, not a dress, but I did find this safari skirt..
http://www.steampunkemporium.com/store/003978S.php

In fact I think it may be the next skirt I buy myself.
That looks quite interesting, indeed. I may well contemplate one of those.
Straightfairy wrote:Yes, about the only thing 'wrong' with that skirt is the zip location..
And the problem with that is, precisely? :twisted: (It might be possible to wear it backwards...)
crfriend wrote:
Milfmog wrote:A 33 inch waste is simply not going to go around a full size person like me
I missed that. I'm a thin bloke, but not that thin. I haven't been 33" around the midsection since the early 1980s.
I recently ordered this item and it arrived today. I was hesitant for the same reason as Carl, but decided to risk being out shipping costs if it didn't fit.

The XL fits me nicely at the "wearing" waist and comes down to knee length. For reference, these are the measurements I gave the MouseWorks guy when I ordered a skirt from him: 35" Waist, 38" Hip, 40" length. Maybe pics later. "Ivory" is a good description of the color--it looks whiter on their website.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

As I recall reading, the safari skirt is a steampunk design. A design based on speculation-what could a woman have worn on safari during the Victorian era?
Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ron »

another dress/kaftan of mine.
Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ron »

and red
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

That red one is great on you!
Not such a colourful character myself, but may as well add a shot of my latest dress construction as well:
johnb
Member Extraordinaire

Post by johnb »

Whilst I like wearing skirts and kilts, I've never had a desire to wear a dress as they generally look too feminine in my view. However there was a couple who were both artists of some sort, building a house on Grand Designs, a channel 4 programme last night. Towards the end of the programme there comes the usual walk around the finished project. Now the woman who must have been around fifty (dare I say), had fairly sharp features and what could have passed for a mans hair style. She was wearing a straight forward grey knee length dress with black lace up ankle boots, similar to those which might be worn by a man. Her whole look made me think that the dress could almost suit a man. Now I don't intend getting into dresses anytime soon, but something about the "look" did make me pause for thought.

John
Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ron »

johnb wrote:Whilst I like wearing skirts and kilts, I've never had a desire to wear a dress as they generally look too feminine in my view. However there was a couple who were both artists of some sort, building a house on Grand Designs, a channel 4 programme last night. Towards the end of the programme there comes the usual walk around the finished project. Now the woman who must have been around fifty (dare I say), had fairly sharp features and what could have passed for a mans hair style. She was wearing a straight forward grey knee length dress with black lace up ankle boots, similar to those which might be worn by a man. Her whole look made me think that the dress could almost suit a man. Now I don't intend getting into dresses anytime soon, but something about the "look" did make me pause for thought.

John
while I still do wear kilts and skirts now and then I am finding that I wear kaftans/dishdasha/thobes/man dresses more and more
and I actually prefer being in a man dress
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

....which can sometimes have very serious consequences/disadvantages:-
An immigrant Muslim bloke turned up at my clinic early last week wearing their usual daily floor-length white robe and matching knitted skull cap, full beard and 49 years old. He's big enough, being a good 6 foot tall.

One of my countrymen had just biffed him one right in the face in our own High Street, knocking a lower right central incisor tooth completely out on the footpath and fracturing his upper right central incisor just at the gum. Whoever did it was a left-hander, but probably high on something.

In a couple of visits we have at least for the present sorted the poor guy out, but I expect his adherence to their traditional dress attracted the aggression.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !