Easy Fitting Shirts

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
freedom

Easy Fitting Shirts

Post by freedom »

Some time ago I found a box of clothes that I tried on. Some of which I like allot for the way they fit is a button front shirt. Seeing the buttons in the same way most men shirts are I figured this IS the shirt for me. There were three kinds, one was 100% rayon, another in gold 100% silk and the other was a blend of rayon & acetate. But having family issues about the shirts I was wearing, being told those are women shirts. How can that be? They button exactly like a man's shirt does. Because of the fabrics? Why can't men wear silk or rayon shirts? The pastor at the church I was going to wore many silk men shirts.

Well, I liked the lighter weight fabrics (for a change of pace) and I like the relaxed fit. Below is a photo of such a button front shirt that I use to wear.

In case the photo doesn't display:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50500144@N ... otostream/

This is more of a woman's top I know, but only using this as an example of another kind of shirt I like to have for being dressed of a special occasion. Again, I like the very relaxed fit of the shirt and the very billowy long sleeves. I seen Travis Tritt - country music singer in one of he's remake videos of an Eagles song Take It Easy wearing a similar shirt with very billowy long sleeves. I think something like this would look great with a vest and some kind of western or outback style hat.

In case the photo doesn't display:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50500144@N ... otostream/
A good teacher is worth two books
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Re: Easy Fitting Shirts

Post by Since1982 »

Only rich men can wear silk shirts without being called effeminate. Rich men can do anything in the back of their streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetch limos. And their streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetch mansions and poooooools.
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Freedom,

The reason your images do not display is that you have picked up a page url, rather than the url of the individual image on the page. You may find the instructions for linking and embedding images from Flickr in this post helpful.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

freedom wrote:Some time ago I found a box of clothes that I tried on. Some of which I like allot for the way they fit is a button front shirt. Seeing the buttons in the same way most men shirts are I figured this IS the shirt for me. There were three kinds, one was 100% rayon, another in gold 100% silk and the other was a blend of rayon & acetate. But having family issues about the shirts I was wearing, being told those are women shirts. How can that be? They button exactly like a man's shirt does. Because of the fabrics? Why can't men wear silk or rayon shirts? The pastor at the church I was going to wore many silk men shirts.
Shirts such as the ones you mention were enjoyed a fair amount of popularity in the US during the "disco era" in the late 1970s and very early 1980s, so the shirts you've discovered may be from that time-frame. That was the last time that there was any creativity in men's fashion -- at least in this author's opinion -- and as a sex we're much poorer that the creativity, both in styles and fabrics, has gone.

The primary criterion as to whether a shirt is a "men's" or a "women's" shirt is the direction in which it fastens; you state that the ones you have fasten left-over-right which indicates that they are men's shirts, although possibly from a different era. The fancy shirts I had back in the '70s and '80s fasten left-over-right and were constructed with nice cuts and very luxurious fabrics compared to what's on offer today. Now, beyond that, the ultimate arbiter is whether the garment fits you (shoulders being the biggest problem, followed immediately by neckline and chest area) and whether it looks good. I have a few shirts/blouses that came from the women's side of the aisle, including a silk one, that work quite well, and only the sharpest of eyes -- mostly belonging to women -- can see the difference.
Again, I like the very relaxed fit of the shirt and the very billowy long sleeves. I seen Travis Tritt - country music singer in one of he's remake videos of an Eagles song Take It Easy wearing a similar shirt with very billowy long sleeves. I think something like this would look great with a vest and some kind of western or outback style hat.
If you like the billowy-sleeve look, there's what's frequently known as a "poet's shirt" or "swashbuckler's shirt" that has that sort of tailoring. These are usually pull-over garments with lace-up necklines so can be worn in a multitude of configurations. Fancier ones may have ruffles around the cuffs or collar, and this can create a very romantic look if that's what you're after. My wife made me a couple over the years, but they are available from some on-line places. The look enjoyed a brief vogue in the mid '70s where standard dress shirts with billowy sleeves were commercially available from general retailers instead of boutiques.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Mindermast

Post by Mindermast »

Yes, crfriend is right, the 80s were the time for silk shirts, and not only in the US, also in Germany, probably in many other areas as well.

You can easily tell by the button side, if a shirt is not for men. But you can't ever tell, if it is really for men by that, women's clothes originally have the buttons on the left side, but today, the buttons can be on the right side as well. Men's buttons are always on the right side. Another hint is the width of the bust, wider for women of course.

By the way, my brother loved to wear a swashbuckler shirt in the late 90s, when he was in his mid-twenties. It was noticed often, but nobody complained. I am pretty sure he only stopped wearing it because it fell apart, or he grew out of it.
zizkov

Post by zizkov »

_1000670w.jpg
This is a favourite shirt of mine that I got made up in a very light cotton. The arms are very loose fitting at the top making for a very comfortable fit. The buttons are on the male side which is totally irrelevant as they are hidden! I have found a dress maker/designer who is happy to work out a pattern from my very untechnical descriptions. The same design works well in silk.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.