UGG boots: Anyone wear them?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
FloralSkirt

UGG boots: Anyone wear them?

Post by FloralSkirt »

Now that winter is here, does anyone wear these boots?

I ordered a pair off their site. I tried some womens on in a store and they were super comfortable. But they di dnot have my ssize or style I wanted. So I went online.

I ordered the ones that are all suede, just like the girls wear.
SkirtedViking
Member Extraordinaire

Re: UGG boots: Anyone wear them?

Post by SkirtedViking »

I am very open to gender equality in terms of fashion but definitely I would not wear UGGs.Not my style simply.
There is nothing worse than double standard!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

This author's understanding is that "Uggs" (standing for "ugly") were originally marketed to men and actually got some recognition from, of all folks, Rush Limbaugh, but have since become "girls' fashion only" (not many adult women wear them). In any event, my opinion on the matter is that they're equally ugly on men and women; like SV, "I'll pass on that style".
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

I own a pair of UGGS look alikes in chocolate paisely suede. Funkee!!! I wear them in ugly weather. Thye keep my feet warm and dry.

Oh yeah, I also have rain boots in green and pink paisley. Funkee!
Moderation is for monks. To enjoy life, take big bites.
-------Lazarus Long
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

Here in Oz both male and female wear them and are now almost a fashion item in some circles.
They are certainly warm and comfortable to wear.

John
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mugs-n-such »

john62 wrote:Here in Oz both male and female wear them and are now almost a fashion item in some circles.

John
Are you from Kansas too? Which part may I ask? I'm from Wichita. Maybe we could meet sometime? I go to the Perks coffee house sometimes, last time I wore a tan pleated skirt and not too many notices. I've seen other guys there in kilts, too, don't recall anyone else besides myself in a skirt yet. I guess I'll have to ask the counter help there...they're really good too imo.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Mugs-n-such wrote:
john62 wrote:Here in Oz both male and female wear them and are now almost a fashion item in some circles.

John
Are you from Kansas too? Which part may I ask? I'm from Wichita. Maybe we could meet sometime? I go to the Perks coffee house sometimes, last time I wore a tan pleated skirt and not too many notices. I've seen other guys there in kilts, too, don't recall anyone else besides myself in a skirt yet. I guess I'll have to ask the counter help there...they're really good too imo.
Gary, the clue is in the post which reads "Here in Oz..." and next to the post it gives a location of Australia. So I'd guess that John62 is a fair few miles from you...

As for Uggs, a quick look at their website will revel both men's and women's boots in both the generally recognised suede and sheepskin style that most folk think of and in other more traditional boot materials. I don't particularly like the look of the suede boots, but do rather like some of the heavy leather men's boots which could make a nice alternative to Timberlands but at a very similar (ie too high!) price.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

Hi Milfmog,
I live along way from USof A, in southeast Australia, but I have been your area once in the '90s.

John
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mugs-n-such »

:oops:
Wonderful Electric
Distinguished Member

Post by Wonderful Electric »

there are ugg haters but the fact remains that lots of people of all ages still wear them! i have a pair of calf high plain suede ones and i agree with everyone that they are very very warm.
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

Looks be damned, they are remarkably cosy.

I've had a pair for about a decade, and 99% of the time they are on slipper duty.

They are also the only pair of "sIippers" I have owned that could easily withstand the periodic trip out the back door to the wood pile or that unscheduled trip to the convenience store.
mountain-mug

Post by mountain-mug »

While Uggs may be looked down upon as a fashion no-no by some, I recently purchased a knock-off pair from Costco (warehouse club). At $36, they are about 1/4 of the price of real Uggs, but are still made from sheepskin. They are incredibly warm, being perfect for our temps which have run from -10 to 25 F ( -23 to 6 C). I've worn them out with skirts, and also around the house as slippers. They really are super comfortable! Looks be damned, when it is cold function over fashion any time!