Fall Is Here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
DALederle
Member Extraordinaire

Fall Is Here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by DALederle »

Okay! The seasonal allergies that plagued me all summer long have finally gone away. We had a frost the other night and the air seems cleaner now. So that's a good thing.
But it means fall and winter are creeping ever closer. It means a change in my skirt wearing.
I have about 30 days left when I can get up and put on a skirt for the day and not have to worry about getting a chill and have another bout of flu or pneumonia. By next month I'll be wrapping myself up in every kind of warm garment I can lay my hands on. Probably with long underwear and heavy weight sweats and thick socks. Br-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-!!!!!!!!!!!
So who else goes through seasonal changes in their wardrobe and what type of changes do you make?
Oh, I know that some of you are VERY hardy. Especially the Brave Hearts in their kilts year round. But I just can't take that, in part due to added medical risks it causes for me. I hate going to hospitals!
So who else is effected by the weather?
For me it's like my allergy to Blue Jeans, or the dye used in them. Seems like no one else is bothered by them. I also have a really tough time wearing anything made of wool! That make winters even harder for me to face. Growing up, every year, out trotted all the "warm" clothes, made of wool and no matter how I complained I was forced to wear them. Long woolen underwear, I shudder just to think of it.
Of course if winter doesn't bother you....well, I envy you!

Dennis A. Lederle
:(
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Fall Is Here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by crfriend »

DALederle wrote:So who else goes through seasonal changes in their wardrobe and what type of changes do you make?
Well, I'm one of the ones that adapts his wardrobe from season to season.

We haven't had first frost here yet, but my minis and Hawaiian shirts are already in "cold storage" for the winter. As the temperatures in the northeast US wind down into wintertime depths my wardrobe will gradually change to longer heavier skirts that'll be worn with heavier legwear as the worst of the cold approaches. My long purple "walking skirt" got some mileage last weekend with a medium weight cotton petticoat under -- which was a good thing because I was outside for a decent part of the day and there was a slight chill on the wind. Once it routinely gets below 50 (F), the lightweight legwear will come into play, and when it gets below 30 (F) on a consistent basis, the very heavy opaques will come out as will heavier underskirts.

This will gradually reverse as we climb from the worst of winter, and I anticipate that my lightweight fun stuff will re-emerge in early May.
Of course if winter doesn't bother you....well, I envy you!
Winter bothers me greatly, and I have to adjust my clothes to keep me as warm as possible. I'm very glad that the frost has helped with your allergies, Dennis, and I, too, shudder at the thought of cheap woolen long underwear (torture incarnate!). Thank goodness we have synthetics nowadays that folks of normal means can afford.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Liam

Post by Liam »

I agree - as it's getting colder, I'm making heavier long skirts to wear instead of the kilts I wore most of the summer. I prefer to make my own clothes, but I figure that the more layers I can put on under the skirt, the warmer I'll be. So far, it's worked great. The various types of hose helps as well, and leggings are very warm if you can stand them.

I definately don't have any desire to go back to trousers unless I absolutely have to... which would probably only be due to dress codes at work. :D
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

You are not alone in hating the cold weather, Liam. I often get the impression that I am the only person that feels cold in many places, keeping my pullovers and jackets when everyone else is mopping their brows.
I love summer and am happiest when everyone else is wilting and feeling faint -- not happy because they are feeling faint, but because I can wear the lightest or the least cloth, feel unencumbered, feel the air on my skin. There were no great heat-waves here this summer, but it was nice and hot; a cotton skirt or loincloth when necessary, a sleeveless t-shirt to go out looking fully dressed; doors and windows open all the time. I am retired, by the way, so don't have to do as I am told!
But even in southern Spain, summer comes to an end, and although the days are still nice, I have to look for something thick and wooly as soon as the sun goes down (dancing yesterday evening, I had a wool kilt and pullover, while the others were in t-shirts). Luckily I have no aversion to wool (au contraire; there is nothing better imho).
I moved here to get away from the cold of eastern France, and it is certainly an improvement -- have not had a cold or cough since I moved -- but when autumn comes, I can get a bit depressed thinking of the long months ahead. Winter is always longer than summer, wherever you go!
Only six months to go!
Martin
DALederle
Member Extraordinaire

Post by DALederle »

I wake up in the morning and the thermostat is set on 72 F. But I wake up shivering and shaking, curled into my sheet and blanket like it was the dead of winter. I just can't get warm.
And my wife has on light weight shirt and shorts and says she's comfortable.
Go figure!
I will cringe now, inside, for the next five months.
I don't know why I feel so cold all the time.
I think it might be part of my breathing problems. Related to my COPD since I need full time, 24/7 oxygen.
It's the only thing I can think of that could be related to how cold I feel now.
But I've felt this way all my life. Even as a child. Long before I knew I had any breathing problems.
So either I've suffered from a lack of oxygen for a long time and never knew or....I don't really know what else could effect me so much!
I envy people that are comfortable in cooler weather.

Dennis A. Lederle
A+J

Post by A+J »

B-r-r-r-r-r!

Its cold, I don´t like it.

I change my wardrobe a little when the fall is here. Wearing skirt regulary I go for a bit longer skirts when the weather getting colder. Wearing coates and gloves and boots.

Riding the bike to office yes its cold. This morning I was frezzing despite I wore a knee long skirt, knee high boots and a long trench coat.
I think I´ve had to take the bus to the office from now on.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I'm looking forward to turning off the air conditioner. I have it set at 74F now, as it's still 85F outside. Happily, it's 75F at night now and I can turn the A/C up and just use it for a fan.
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/