Miller Lite Skirt Commercial

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
DeeJay

Miller Lite Skirt Commercial

Post by DeeJay »

Miller Lite, a dominant American beer brand, is running a new television ad campaign showing a man in skirt in one commercial and a man with a tramp stamp* in another commercial. The premis of the commercial is if you care about how your beer tastes and you give up wearing you skirt the bartender will serve you a Miller Lite. The tag line of the skirt commercial shows the man has switched to trousers. However, a woman passing by tells him his fly is open. Strange how Miller views their customers (men) as jerks either way.

You may view the commercial at the following web site.

http://www.casttv.com/video/nh2xt11/mil ... cial-video

Do you think this ad campaign furthers the cause of men wearing skirts more acceptable to the public?

* "Tramp Stamp" a derogatory term for a large tattoo on a woman's lower back. The tattoo is very visible when the woman bends forward as it is placed above the pant line and below the top.
DALederle
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Miller Lite Skirt Commercial

Post by DALederle »

I have been posting about this commercial on some of my other web sites.
It goes back to something I've said before. We have almost no positive images of men wearing skirts. You never see a man living a normal life, going about his every day business in a skirt or a dress. It is always done as a joke or sickness to be cured.
I hope everyone posts an e-mail to Miller Lite.
DALederle

:(
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

Actually, most people's take seems to be that the ad is misogynistic, not a put-down of skirt-wearing men.[*] The skirt-wearing is code for being "effeminate," as if being in any way like a woman were the worst thing a man could do. (Kill 6 million people, you're our kind of guy. But show any of the 9 billion characteristics we've labelled "feminine," and you're not allowed in the bar.)

[*] For most people, a skirt-wearing man is as unreal as a flying horse.
Different_Trains
Distinguished Member

Post by Different_Trains »

Immature advert living off out of date prejudices. Perhaps also degrading to women as well as men. Not doing themselves any favours.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Different_Trains wrote:Not doing themselves any favours.
Agreed. I have a policy of not buying from companies that set out to portray their customers as stupid or to insult them. Miller Lite is one of the products on my avoid list. Other include "Utterly Butterly" and "Bounty" / "Plenty" kitchen towels (also advertised with Men in drag).

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I stopped drinking Miller of any persuasion, lite or heavy or dark when they started with those ads that had a huge black fellow and a helper going into a sports auditorium taking away beer the people had paid for because supposedly they were rich and had their own box.
I didn't know we were in a communist country where rich is bad. The same gang go in corner stores and take Miller out because they think the store owner is charging too much for the beer. Gosh, I always thought once you PAID for the beer you could sell it for whatever you liked. No?? Slaps of communism again. :blue:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
DALederle
Member Extraordinaire

Post by DALederle »

Skip:
I, personaly, never liked the Miller Lite trailer park commercials either.
I went to their web site to try and protest. I found you cannot contact them unless you log in as a member. That I didn't want to do. So its square one as to how and reach them unless we all snail mail them!
To bad!
Anyone have another idea on how to reach them?

DALederle

:o
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

DALederle,
Why not just join as a fictitious member and put your message in that way? Your ID is safe and your word gets put across.
I have a 'serious' ID and a separate email, and user name type identity for other stuff. Seems to work, and if I am going to do stuff on a dodgy site, one were I might attract spam say, then I use the dodgy (disposable) ID.
It works.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
DALederle
Member Extraordinaire

Post by DALederle »

One of the biggest problems I see with this commercial is the mcro-mini skirt they have the guy wearing. Granted it should be his right to dress ayway he pleases and that styleof skirt is very popular right now with younger women. But still, it is a very unmodest style of skirt that many people woud see as unapropiate anyway.
The commercial is just so wrong in so many ways I don't see what Miller Lite was trying to do hear. It wasn't funny at all just insulting.
Heaven save us from the minds of ad agencies and out elected officials.
Or are those one and the same, since ad agencies get our officials elected?

DALederle

:wink: