Rebel Fashions!

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
DALederle
Member Extraordinaire

Rebel Fashions!

Post by DALederle »

The current trend of Blue Jeans taking over as the only type of pants so many people wear began as a "rebel fashion" in the 1950s. Up until then people knew about and wore "jeans" but they weren't "accepted" fashion. You wouldn't get in a good restuarant or night club if you wore jeans.
But then movie star James Dean made them fashionable. James Dean and Marlon Brandon. And suddenly all the teens began to wear them and as these teens grew up they took their fashion choice into mainstream acceptance.
Well, that's just what MIS-MIK need. A good, high profile public figure to go "rebel" with kilts or skirts, instead of jeans. A movie star or rap artist maybe? I'm not up on who or what is current at the moment. Maybe Gerald Butler wearing skirts? He is scottish so it shouldn't take much for him to get into a kilt.
So tell me, who do you think could "lead the charge" of making kilts or skirts into the new rebel look. Mel Gibson and Sean Connery have both been seen in kits but it hasn't done much. Is it the man, the medium or some other factor?
DALederle
:?:
r1g0r
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Rebel Fashions!

Post by r1g0r »

DALederle wrote: snip snip snip snip snip snip snip snip snip snip snip snip snip snip snip snip snip snip snip snip snip snip snip snip snip snip
Is it the man, the medium or some other factor?
DALederle
:?:
yes.

not being a smartass, but too many factors come into play. just as when WWII pushed women into the workplace, and therefore into pants. it's a confluence of things that push any major change in society.

a few hundred guys wearing skirts and making internet noise about it just won't create a change in the way western civilisation views men in skirts.

sorry. get over it. wear your skirts when or where you want. tell those who object to take a long walk off a short pier.

ok. matbe i AM a smartass, but i gotta have an I.Q. somewhere :wink:
you know... george orwell warned us!
"Moderation is a colorless, insipid thing to counsel. To live less would not be living."
Sister M. Madeleva Wolff (1887-1964), CSC
DALederle
Member Extraordinaire

Post by DALederle »

Skirts or kilts on men are begining to pop up in the media. And if something is seen often it will eventually be accepted. That's all I'm hoping for.
Over the Easter Weeknd Iwas watching a "Food Network" program. Actually my wife put it on it's not really something I enjoy watching, myself.
IT was one of those "challenge" programs that's like a game show.
Suddenly I saw that one of the chefs was wearing a kilt. It was a plump man in a kilt with knee socks. I don't remember his name or what episode it was. If anyone else knows about it maybe someone can add to this post.
Anyway, if more kilts(which seem to be the most accepted form of male skirt) are seen then skirts can't be too far behind in acceptance too.
I do know that serveral times that I've been out in a skirt people I've run into asked me about what kind of kilt I was wearing. So for the public wearing a skirt or kilt is interchangable.
DALederle
:idea:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

DALederle wrote:The current trend of Blue Jeans taking over as the only type of pants so many people wear began as a "rebel fashion" in the 1950s. Up until then people knew about and wore "jeans" but they weren't "accepted" fashion. You wouldn't get in a good restuarant or night club if you wore jeans.
I credit this as being part of the overall "dumbing down" of society. Creeping "casualism" has gotten its tendrils not only into fashion, but also into many fields that require quite a lot of rigour. As I've allluded to before, "Nothing says, 'I don't care' more than a T-shirt and dungarees." What we've become is a society where "good enough" is as far as the masses care to go. Whatever happened to the mantras of "aim high" and "reach for the stars"? We are vastly poorer as a species with the abandonment of those ideals.
But then movie star James Dean made them fashionable. James Dean and Marlon Brandon.
Ah, yes -- Rebel Without a Clue. One more weak bit of teen angst that tries pitifully hard to show just how empty life has become. If one is to rebel against something -- anything -- he should have a reason for it, and a cogent explanation of precisely why it is worthy of rebellion. Anything less tends to come across as whining. If one is going to poke a stick in society's eye, one needs proper justification.
So tell me, who do you think could "lead the charge" of making kilts or skirts into the new rebel look.
Why YOU, of course! And myself, and any of the forward- and independent-minded thinkers here at SkirtCafe. Why should we wait for someone else to do the "heavy lifting" when we are all perfectly capable of it ourselves? Actively taking personal responsibility for things is often hailled as one of the hallmarks of "masculinity" (whatever that may be); why squander that by passively waiting on the sidelines and waiting for somebody else to take a stand?

I don't mean to rant here, but I'm not getting any younger, and feel the need to "force the matter" a little bit. Yes, that means that I'm occasionally out on a limb, but I have my wits with me, and I have my intellectual arguments; I also have an unshakable confidence in my skirting, and that comes across loud and clear in any setting I'm likely to show up in. It's not cockiness but rather a serene understanding of who I am as a human being, and a presence that points that up.

A number of years ago, my (late) grandmother commented on her beloved Boston Red Sox and their drought of World Series wins, "At my age one gets impatient!" -- she was fortunate enough to see the Sox win one (more) before she passed away. I am not going to be passive on the matter of what I happen to toss on my lower half. The way I see it is that there's no percentage in being passive; the only way forward of to grab the mantle, raise it high, and stride forward. I'm willing to accept a lump or two along the way, but progress always comes at a cost, and if you're not part of the solution, the quip that "you're part of the problem" frequently holds true.
Last edited by crfriend on Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fairly large recomposition.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I truly believe men in skirts WILL become mainstream some day in the USA and the rest of the world. As far as the WEST goes though, I don't believe any member of this site, no matter how young will be alive when men wearing skirts and/or dresses AS MEN is mainstream. I hope I'm wrong. :D :D
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/