A Freestyle Fashion Definition of "Pantyhose"

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Ryan

A Freestyle Fashion Definition of "Pantyhose"

Post by Ryan »

Hello all,

I haven't posted in a while. I hope everyone is well. I came here to Skirt Cafe after I visited "The All New Atrium" (http://atrium.earthshod.co.uk/index.php). Does anyone know it still exists? It seems it's moribund over there. I had posted several items a few weeks ago to liven things up. Although my items were viewed a few times, none were replied to.

If you haven't been to "The All New Atrium" lately, please drop by. And post some items or replies. Another thing, "The All New Atrium" is suppose to replace Chris' Atrium. Unfortunately, many of the mens fashion freedom sites still link to to Chris' Atrium, but none link to "The All New Atrium." (When you click on the links to Chris' Atrium, your browser will run forever trying to open it.) Could someone tell the managers of those sites and the manager of "The All New Atrium" about this?

Anyhow, below is the text for my posting, "A Freestyle Fashion Definition of "Pantyhose.' " (I had originally intended to post it on "The All New Atrium," but after I saw how moribund it was, I decided to post it here and tell you about "The All New Atrium." You know, kill two birds, etc.)

When I was in a large Barnes & Nobel book store the other day, I walked by the Reference Section and I saw a number of dictionaries for sale. Just for fun, as I thumbed through a tome, I decided to look up the definition for one of my favorite freestyle fashion garments: pantyhose.

After I thumbed through several dictionaries, I found, to my chagrin, that just about about all of them define "pantyhose" as a "women's garment." Typical is "women's hose that extend to the waist, forming a one piece garment," as defined in Webster's New World Compact School and Office Dictionary. If you like a more elaborate definition, go to Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary 11th Edition: "one piece undergarment for women that consists of hosiery made with a panty-style top; usually plural in construction." Or perhaps you might prefer the more graphic definition in Random House Webster's Unabridged Dictionary: "(used with a plural v.) a one-piece, skintight garment worn by women, combining panties and stockings."

I was about to conclude the lexicographers of those dictionaries were unaware of the Freestyle Fashion "movement's" desire to make pantyhose a unisex garment, until I saw this definition in the Oxford American Desk Dictionary & Thesaurus: "usually treated as plural; one-piece garment usually sheer, combining panties and stockings." Here finally was a definition of "pantyhose" without an association as a "women's garment"! Would you call this progress?

On a related matter, most dictionaries typically define "pantsuit" as a "woman's tailored suit of jacket and trousers." But that's another story.

Thanks for reading. And don't forget to visit The All New Atirum.

RYAN :D
SkirtedViking
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A Freestyle Fashion Definition of "Pantyhose"

Post by SkirtedViking »

Men in tights looking for fights.Also boots, yes there are rarely items for men classified as boots to the knee in the stores these days, were worn just by men in the past.Too sad that history of fashion is forgotten and stereotypes of today are transformed into movies depicting past eras.I watched Sherlock Holmes, never knew that in the 19th or 18th (whatever) century it was normal for a woman to wear man's suit.Pirates of the Caribbean - last part i think is another good example.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There is nothing worse than double standard!
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A Freestyle Fashion Definition of "Pantyhose"

Post by renesm1 »

I wouldn't go looking for historical accuracy in a Guy Richie movie!!! The guy pretends to be this cockney London geezer when his family is quite wealthy and Richie himself went to private school.
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews