Pulling up your Pants!

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
DALederle
Member Extraordinaire

Pulling up your Pants!

Post by DALederle »

Over the years I have noticed that men seemed to always be pulling up and readjusting their(our) pants. I know that I do this all the time. No matter what activivty it is I have to stop and pull up my pants, tuck in my shirt, which is constantly pulling out and retighten my belt. It's an endless and mindless action that NONE of the un-skirting wearing men I know even seem to notice. It's like blimking their eyes. They don't seem to notice or notice that there's something really wrong with the dynamics of how all this works.
Walk two steps, stop and hitch up your pants. Walk two more steps and stop and tuck in your shirt. About the silliest things I can think of.
But I don't remember ever doing that while in a skirt or kilt.
So does it happen while wearing a skirt or kilt?
Also, do women have to stop and constantly readjust their pants or slacks while they are wearing them? I can't remember EVER seeing these actions being done by women. Or if they do it they don't seem to do it as much as men.
Maybe some smart person should look into the design flaw behind how pants are made and what they are supposed to do in the first. Start over from the begining and ask the question what is this garment for and why doesn't it work the way it should.
Or maybe some of the women can give out tips to men on how to wear pants properly so we can quit going through these annoying set of habits constantly.
DALederle
:?:
r1g0r
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Pulling up your Pants!

Post by r1g0r »

i think it's because most guys have a very low waist:hips ratio.

it's the same reason that suspenders and jumpers/dresses are practical for us :wink:
you know... george orwell warned us!
"Moderation is a colorless, insipid thing to counsel. To live less would not be living."
Sister M. Madeleva Wolff (1887-1964), CSC
TomH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TomH »

I remember having pants that would bind on the tops of my legs quite noticeably if I raised my legs to climb stairs. Even walking wasn't all that comfortable. That's one of the reasons I went to shorts in my 30's. My work required me to climb on things a lot during the day and with your hands full, that makes it hard to reach down to adjust a pant leg to allow you to bend the knee.

I believe that just the act of walking will cause a small amount of bind that we don't notice and that would pull on the the waist/hip ratio of men to cause us to adjust to keep them up at the waist.
And even today, if for some strange reason, I get into shorts, (or shutter, pants), I notice them touching me just below the cheeks on the back of my legs. It's a little unnerving for a moment like someone is being rude. NO ONE/thing, touches me there in a skirt!

Tom
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

Funny you should mention it.....

Lately I've noticed that I've been pulling up on a couple pair of trousers. Why? They are a tad too large.

As for tucking in of shirts, etc, that has been a problem ever since I was a young girl. I couldn't keep a blouse tucked into my skirts to save my life. I still can't keep a blouse or shirt tucked into either a skirt of pants. The problem is not with the attire, the problem is in the way I move.

I don't see any mystery here just problems with fit and movement.
Moderation is for monks. To enjoy life, take big bites.
-------Lazarus Long
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

sapphire wrote:I don't see any mystery here just problems with fit and movement.
What she said.

It's all down to fit and dynamics. If the fit is wrong, nothing will stay in place and will likely be uncomfortable as well; if the wearer is highly mobile or very flexible, stuff also won't stay where it should.

Even when I could buy shirts that fit like shirts instead of tents, I had problems keeping them tucked in; now that what's available can be used as camping-gear in a pinch the problem is even worse. I think I need to spend some time and develop "inverse suspenders" to keep my shirts tucked in (or just say the heck with it and go with bodysuits or leotards).

One gets a little bit of leeway with blouses as they don't look as slovenly untucked as a shirt with tails does. However, don't get me going about the current trend of having layers of blouses both (or more) untucked....
sapphire wrote:Lately I've noticed that I've been pulling up on a couple pair of trousers. Why? They are a tad too large.
I'd call that a "win". :wink:
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I don't have the "shirts" part of that equation any more. About 20 years ago I started buying my shirts from Big and Tall Men's Shops and it only took me one delivery of shirts that kept climbing out of my pants to think about buying from the TALL men's aisle. Now, with my waist size, Tall men's sizes come to me with knee length T-shirts etc. Some are so long they take away the need for an underskirt and if a T-shirt, so soft they are actually more comfortable than most underskirts are anyway. Just a thought. :D :D :D
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
DALederle
Member Extraordinaire

Post by DALederle »

The thing that I've found as an intersting sidebar to the constant "adjustments" being made made by pants wearing men is that fact the fact that all the men I know are all totally unaware that they are doing all that adjusting. They have lived with it so long that unless someone else mentions it to them they will stand their hitching up their pants and tucking in their shirts and it's like blinking their eyes.
They just aren't aware that there's a dynamic there that's seems to be out of place all the time.
Are we as men so innured to our "place" in the macho order of things that men will just go along with something because other men do it too?
That's a scary thought to me!
We can't break out of the "male" mold and even take a look and see that there are other possibilities waiting for us. Which might explain why women have so much greater fashion freedoms while men huddle in our caves afraid to look around us.
From one cro-magnon to the next, I hope the cave men around us wake up one day!
DALederle
LOL
:P
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Are we as men so innured to our "place" in the macho order of things that men will just go along with something because other men do it too?
Not counting the members of this and other skirts on men sites, in a word, YES. It's the "lemming" mentality in action. :D :D :D
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

Sir Spender, that useful blokey thing for men who's waist has disappeared. Known here as braces! The need to hitch up trousers seems to increase with the years; one reason why I like overalls, the overall dress and anything that hangs from the shoulders. Some skirts also seem to need hitching sometimes :bom:
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pythos »

LOL.

I notice I need to do this when I wear jeans.

I really don't like it.

When in skirts, no problemo, but pants, problemo.

Now, on a different note. Hose once on I never have to adjust or hitch up, but leggings require the occasional hitch up.

The "disco Pant" those are also kind of, once on very little adjustment necessary.

Men's clothing for the most part is sloppy.

When I wear a shirt tucked in I always pull it out a bit to A) provide a bit of slack and B) reduce any lines under tight fitting leggings or skirts. Unfortunately this at times can result in masses of untucked shirt with some of my shirts.
" Pre-conceptions are the biggest enemy of humans. they prevent us from moving forward. If you want to see "another reality" you must first throw out your pre-conceptions. Every thing starts from there." -Mana