What do we mean by "girly"?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Re: What do we mean by "girly"?

Post by Since1982 »

Dawn, you said you'd soon be experiencing "full fashion freedom" I simply asked what that was. How is this question in any way offensive? To me, nothing you said was offensive, I just saw you refer to something I didn't understand, so I asked what it was. This is the only way I know to learn things. IF I have said or inferred something offensive, I apologize, but I still don't understand how I, by asking an honest question, could have been offensive. :(
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Thanks Dawn,

I had assumed that that was what you were alluding to, but the only safe thing to do with an assumption is to recognize it and seek clarification. I meant no offence, on the contrary I wanted to avoid giving the offence that could have arisen if I was wrong.

There are number of folks on the board who have had voyages of gender discovery and I have learned a great deal about how people feel from a number of them. One of the strengths of this online community is the breadth of people represented and the range of perspectives that this brings to the discussion here, however a little context (that comes from knowing who people are) can go a long way when trying to understand other peoples perspectives in the discussions.

Welcome to the board, I look forward to reading your thoughts over the coming months and years.

Have fun,

Ian.

Edited to correct typo - Ian.
Last edited by Milfmog on Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

since1982,

I assure you no offense was inferred or taken from the honest question that was asked, being new and unfamiliar with the culture and vernacular, I was trying to indicate that I want to fit in.

Dawn
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Thank you, Dawn, no problem! :mrgreen:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
nicothoe
Distinguished Member

Post by nicothoe »

Terms like "girly" and "manly" are always going to be subjective, and vary over time and space. I have never cared for sports and have no interest in the workings of cars, bikes or any other mode of transport - but that hardly makes be any less of a man. Likewise, wearing a skirt doesn't miraculously transform me into a woman.

Nevertheless, there are going to be people who think otherwise. That aggression makes them more of a man, and love and compassion are traits best left for women. Even within this community, we are going to disagree in what we perceive as "masculine" or "feminine" - and that all depends on our own particular tastes and biases. Trying to decide where that line in the sand should be drawn, if any, is a decision we can only make for ourselves, and not be applied to others.
Be Bold. Be Skirted.