What not to wear

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

What not to wear

Post by sapphire »

What Not to Wear is a style show on TLC.

I was watching today whilst feeding my newest litter of kittens. Usually the show does a style makeover of a woman, but on today's show the style makeover was of a man.

In the section of the show where the "victim" models his or her wardrobe. One of the outfits the guy modeled included a skirt! It was black, ankle length and very masculine. He said that he picked it up in Germany where they are supposedly found in the men's department.

The hosts looked incredulous and commented that this isn't Germany. However, I did not see then actually toss the skirt in the trash can. They only made one other comment during the show about the skirt.

The results of the makeover were totally predictable.

What I find encouraging is that they showed the skirted outfit and that the guy looked good. In fact the skirted outfit was the only one of his original wardrobe that looked good.
Moderation is for monks. To enjoy life, take big bites.
-------Lazarus Long
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Re: What not to wear

Post by Since1982 »

I think there's only a very few legal things I wouldn't do for FIVE GRAND! Appearing on that show is one of them. If I want to be made a mockery of I'll just visit a 2nd grade gym class. At least there I might be able to change the mind set. 8)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pythos »

"this isn't Germany"

No it's not. In Germany you can visit the hospital and not lose your home.

Germany is a little more open minded too.

Gees what a perfect example of the status quo maintainer.

Need less of that type.
" Pre-conceptions are the biggest enemy of humans. they prevent us from moving forward. If you want to see "another reality" you must first throw out your pre-conceptions. Every thing starts from there." -Mana
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

In Germany you can visit the hospital and not lose your home.
You can visit a hospital for 3 weeks for an ulcer procedure without insurance and not pay a thing AND not lose your home, IF you live in Florida. Why do you think OJ Simpson moved to florida before he was convicted. The state can only take your home for income tax evasion in Florida, nothing else. I had a 40K bill at the local hospital and I told them to stuff it, they called me a couple of weeks later and told me they'd written it off and I shouldn't worry about it. They ALSO told me that the next time I got ill, I should come there anyway. Go Figger. :mrgreen:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
dragonslain

Post by dragonslain »

A few years ago the was (maybe still is) a show on the style network called "How do I look?" My girlfriend used to watch that show all the time. The premise of the show was that three people (two friends and one professional stylist) would help an individual with a "poor" and/or "outdated" sense of style. They had this one episode were the individual to be "helped" was male (a very rare occurrence). When the host was talking to the guy about his current wardrobe he mentioned that he had a skirt. When he mentioned that, she looked at him like he was barbecuing a kitten. I could understand a little shock, but her look was more than that. It has some disgust in it. He explained that he got the skirt (a gypsy style) for burning man and that he would occasionally wear it around the house on hot days. If i recall, the did make hemo get rid of the skirt for more "acceptable" summer wear.
Hemitom

Post by Hemitom »

I wish they would bring that subject to the fore front a little more often.... not necessarily making them get rid of it but making it more acceptable in society. but i guess its all about the ratings and the promoters.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Since1982 wrote:
You can visit a hospital for 3 weeks for an ulcer procedure without insurance and not pay a thing AND not lose your home, IF you live in Florida. Why do you think OJ Simpson moved to florida before he was convicted. The state can only take your home for income tax evasion in Florida, nothing else. I had a 40K bill at the local hospital and I told them to stuff it, they called me a couple of weeks later and told me they'd written it off and I shouldn't worry about it. They ALSO told me that the next time I got ill, I should come there anyway. Go Figger. :mrgreen:
That's very interesting, Since1982. Over here in the UK we hear about how many American go bankrupt trying to pay their medical bills, but I'd never heard about that rule in Florida. Probably because it's not as good a story for the papers as some unfortunate family being made homeless. But what if you struggle to pay and end up in arrears on your mortgage? Are the banks as lenient as the State?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

sapphire wrote:What Not to Wear is a style show on TLC.

I was watching today whilst feeding my newest litter of kittens. Usually the show does a style makeover of a woman, but on today's show the style makeover was of a man.

In the section of the show where the "victim" models his or her wardrobe. One of the outfits the guy modeled included a skirt! It was black, ankle length and very masculine. He said that he picked it up in Germany where they are supposedly found in the men's department.

The hosts looked incredulous and commented that this isn't Germany. However, I did not see then actually toss the skirt in the trash can. They only made one other comment during the show about the skirt.

The results of the makeover were totally predictable.

What I find encouraging is that they showed the skirted outfit and that the guy looked good. In fact the skirted outfit was the only one of his original wardrobe that looked good.
I would very much like to see a photo of that skirt.
Hemitom

Post by Hemitom »

does anyone know what episode it was??
skirt24

Post by skirt24 »

Just another example of narrow minded people here in the states. It's such as same those show discriminate towards men and the wearing of skirts. How pathetic that is.
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

There are a quite a few shops in Germany that sell mens skirts off the rack. If you Google gothic mens skirts you will ondoubtedly find a few stores, for instance http://www.x-tra-x.de. Go to bekleidung maenner and then hosen und roecke. Their shops are mainly found in former Eastern Germany.
There are a few similar shops in Holland as well.

Auf wiedersehen.
Jan.
straightfairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by straightfairy »

There are similar goth skirts available in the UK too, for about the same prices, I think.
Davy

Post by Davy »

Since1982 wrote:
Guess this explains why hospital bills are so outrageously high now-a-days; so all the rest of us can pay for the freeloaders. (PS, I don't think this rule is unique to Florida.)