Skorts

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
whitesocks

Skorts

Post by whitesocks »

Does anyone here wear a skort? I have a couple, one in a lovely drappy sort of fabric, bit like artificial silk and another in black, fairly heavy cotton. Not quite a skirt but is, for me, a safe in between rather than wear a full blown skirt. Any one else agree or disagree?
Skirts, man's best friends :-)
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skorts

Post by r.m.anderson »

Hell yes I wear skorts and inspite of lot of cons here at the SkirtCafe who consider it nothing more than
shorts with a skirt overlay.
I find them really comfortable and the compression shorts underneath means you can go sans underwear
and not worry about any eventful exposure.
I have several - example linked to ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIKE-TENNIS-SKORT-D ... C294%3A200

Sharp eye catching color combinations without over doing it. Only up close do people notice that heck that is
skirt. There are a very small number of males now wearing these in marthons and 5 & 10 k races. Usually of
very light weight nylon or silk type fabric. The ventilation is great.

rm
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Kris
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kris »

r.m.anderson wrote: There are a very small number of males now wearing these in marthons and 5 & 10 k races. Usually of
very light weight nylon or silk type fabric. The ventilation is great.

rm
Of the topic of skorts, but apropos rm's post, there is a fellow who makes and sells running skirts for men. They don't have an attached brief. He also has plans on the site to make your own if you'd like to give it a try:
http://www.runningkilts.com/index2.html

Kris
whitesocks

Post by whitesocks »

Hi Kris, I wonder if those running skorts/skirts ever took off. Quite an interesting idea.
Skirts, man's best friends :-)
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

If running skorts "take off" they'll be banned by the I.O.C. for giving an unfair advantage. :alien: :sorry: :hide:
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I have one pair of what you might call skorts, I bought them as "Sailor Shorts" They are of the style of the 1700's Tall Ships Sailor's shorts. The legs go to mid calf and there's an (kilt like) apron across the front. Even from the rear you have to look close to see their really trousers and not a skirt. The crotch is well below where it is on traditional shorts or pants for ease of jumping from sail to cross brace to mast and so on. Of course I can no longer jump anywhere, but they are quite comfortable for just lounging around the house. The crotch is so low that it feels the same as a skirt does. With the apron in front, you have to look close to see it's not a skirt. The legs are perhaps 5 or 6 times as wide around as my legs are making them very much like old time "Cullotes". :bow: :hooray: :kiltdance: :kiltdance: :pint: :sorry: :spam: :troll:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
pepsie1

Post by pepsie1 »

I thought I had made mention of this topic once before but maybe not. Last year I bought what i thought were skirts at a local Walmart, but infact discovered they were actually Skorts by Whitestag. Trying one on I found they were comfortable and fit quite well. Upon further inspection of the garment I determined it would be a simple matter to cut shorts out and end up with a true skirt. I did and the result was ok but the overall fit wasn't quite as good. They have become one of my favorite skirts. The skirt is more of an A-line and really works well with an underskirt in cold weather. This year Walmart had the same style Skort back on the racks, so I bought another one, cut the shorts out and like it quite well.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Oddly enough, skorts remind me of fashion Bloomers. Will the next step for men be the counterpart (going in the opposite direction-towards skirts) of Athletic Bloomers?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:Oddly enough, skorts remind me of fashion Bloomers. Will the next step for men be the counterpart (going in the opposite direction-towards skirts) of Athletic Bloomers?
Thanks for that link, Grok. Whilst the 1850s "Fashion Bloomer" might be considered a forerunner of some of the rather hideous styles of today, I think the look reasonably flattering because of the fullness of the cut; I'd put it in the "hybrid" category without prejudice. The caricature of the style was biting and hilarious; my hat's off to the original artist.

Beyond skirts, I've always been fascinated with the notion of very wide flaring trousers, and I have a suspicion that done right, such a garment could be almost as comfortable as an outright skirt. Note that I'm not a big fan of gathering at the ankle (as in the "Fashion Bloomers" or "harem pants") but rather of extremely wide openings at the bottom (think "bell-bottoms" on steroids where the flare actually starts at the hip). The "palazzo" style of the 1990s approximated my idea, and I found that style quite attractive. I've also been messing with the idea of re-working an old pair of dress trousers into 18th century style knickers (knee breeches) with modern fasteners just below the knee; I suspect the look would work well on my body-type.

As far as the "Athletic Bloomers" go, it looks like those, too, have a gather just below the knee, but the garment is quite full and flows beneath the gather. It's an interesting look, and not altogether unlike some of the more baggy shiny "shorts" worn these days in my little part of the world -- which one usually has to look twice to discern from skirts! (If only the lads wearing them had the courage to do away with the inseam!)

All of the above having been said, it's incorrect to confuse "skorts" with the garments mentioned above. To do so would be akin to confusing a "spork" (remember those?) with a knife.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

There's always Hakama pants. I suppose if not Japanese, someone could create a shorter version.. and change the top part to be actually a garment instead of an addition to a garment as hakama pants are. Hakama's are very much like softer Cowboy Chaps in the way the top part is created. Maybe a cross between hakamas and the 16th century Tall Ships sailor's pants. Both these garments are and always were a strictly male garment. In a Hakama a soldier could sit astride a horse and shoot arrows as well as be comfortable on the ground. (I saw them doing that in the movie "The Last Samurai" starring Ken Watenabe and some other actors.) 8)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
r1g0r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r1g0r »

i guess this boils down to:

if i wanted to wear shorts, i'd wear shorts.
if i need to wear pants, i wear pants.
if i'm able to wear a skirt/dress, i wear a skirt/dress. if it's short enough that i need to worry about accidental flashing, i wear tights/underwear/etc.

don't like shorts (not even visually on others), don't like skorts.

what REALLY grates my cheese, though, is seeing a nice-looking skirt come my way... only to watch a pair of shorts as they walk past me. even on grannies.
you know... george orwell warned us!
"Moderation is a colorless, insipid thing to counsel. To live less would not be living."
Sister M. Madeleva Wolff (1887-1964), CSC
imadube
Member Extraordinaire

Post by imadube »

I must say that if I wanted to wear shorts I'd wear shorts as well. However I did find that getting a denim Skort about one size larger then I need really is cool. Great for ladder climbing and airy enough to almost be like weari ng a skirt. So (imo) skorts have thier use. Better if they are a little big for the room.
Also on the shorts subject - I won't wear the Wal-Mart opproved "longshort" so a skort has just the right length of shorts for me.
Mark & Brenda Dubé
Tobacco Free Electronic Cigarettes
Two options to purchase;
Red Dragon Electronic Cigarettes
http://imadube.web.officelive.com
Green Smoke Electronic Cigarettes
http://greensmoke.com/5520.html
Chris Webb

Post by Chris Webb »

I tried on a couple of denim skorts but the shorts underneath were just too danged tight in the crotch. I bought on of them anyway and cut the shorts out of it, but now it really is too short to do anything but stand up straight in it. :( I don't own any pants, so I guess the short pants under a skort just seems like going backwards for me, but I can sure see how practical they could be for guys who don't mind the shorts.

Anyway, I've got a danged cute denim mini-skirt now, just too mini for me to skirt in it. :|

Kilt ON!

Chris Webb
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Skorts, I believe could be categorized as "divided skirts" (click on "About Skirts" at upper left, then scroll down to pant skirt).
Davy

Post by Davy »

r1g0r wrote:i guess this boils down to:

if i wanted to wear shorts, i'd wear shorts.
if i need to wear pants, i wear pants.
if i'm able to wear a skirt/dress, i wear a skirt/dress. if it's short enough that i need to worry about accidental flashing, i wear tights/underwear/etc.

don't like shorts (not even visually on others), don't like skorts.

what REALLY grates my cheese, though, is seeing a nice-looking skirt come my way... only to watch a pair of shorts as they walk past me. even on grannies.
I could not agree more with this entire post. Wear a skirt or shorts as you choose, but don't confuse the two. Like others have noted, no matter how closely I check out the garment on the rack, I have still once or twice gotten home and found out that the supposed skirt that I bought was really a skort. But it is easy to cut out the "shorts" part, which I always do.