I like seeing women in skirts!

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Re: I like seeing women in skirts!

Post by AMM »

Speaking for myself, I quite enjoy seeing women in skirts, too. If it's a particularly nice outfit (according to my tastes), it makes my day.

But I think of it as being a little like finding a quarter (10p piece, for you Brits :) ) on the sidewalk: a nice bonus, not something I feel I have a right to. If I don't find a quarter one day, I don't get upset that I didn't get my quarter.

And one of the things that makes it possible for me to freely enjoy seeing women in skirts is that (at least as far as I know) they're mostly wearing skirts because they want to.

When I was growing up, girls and women wore skirts because they had to, or because they would get funny looks and nasty comments if they didn't. If a girl wore trousers to school (any school) back then, she would get sent to the principal's office, where they'd call her mother to bring her home to change into "proper" clothes. If a woman wore trousers to my church, even a fancy "pants suit," you could be sure that she would hear about it from everyone. As for work attire, in few kinds of jobs that women weren't excluded from, they were expected to dress "properly", which meant a skirt (and the right kind of skirt) if they didn't want to get fired. Not only were women required to wear skirts, they were expected to go to great lengths to "be attractive" -- make-up, hair styling, stockings, high heels, etc. And if someone took it as a license to grope, well, that was the woman's fault for being "too attractive." Apropos of this, does anyone remember what life was like for airline stewardesses back then? ("Coffee, tea, or me?")

You can see how few women were wearing skirts because they wanted to by the speed with which most of them switched to trousers once they had the choice.

So when someone talks about the "good old days" when women wore skirts all the time, all I can think of is how much more restricted women's lives were then and how much their lives were dominated by the need to be attractive to and acceptable to men -- because it was men who controlled their lives. I react to such talk the same way I react to people who talk about how charming the Ante-Bellum South was back in the days when the Darkies sang their happy songs in the cotton fields.

I say: no, thank you.

I prefer the way things are now, even if it means I don't get to see as many women in skirts.
TomH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TomH »

Thanks AMM, you said it well.

TomH
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

So when someone talks about the "good old days" when women wore skirts all the time
For me they were only "good old days" because I could see lots of skirts every day and daydream about wearing them. After being raised to age 9 IN them, I was always trying to figure ways to wear them secretly after stealing them off clothslines of women who were my size as I got older. I remember the first time I did that..to our next door neighbor Mrs. Leisey. I kept it folded up in the garage and would go out there at night and wear it when my parents were asleep or in the day when my dad was at work.

My mom liked me in them later after dad died in 1967. But it was still a secret life until I went to the South Pacific and found Sulus in Majuro. I lived in Sulus, a sarong style wrap skirt for 3 months in the Pacific and on my property after returning home. I wore sulus and sarongs off and on publically depending on the area we were renting in. Then in 2004...I found an online site that opened my eyes to the fact I wasn't a freak. Tom's Cafe it was... yeah... 8)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Inertia
Distinguished Member

Post by Inertia »

AMM wrote: When I was growing up, girls and women wore skirts because they had to, or because they would get funny looks and nasty comments if they didn't. If a girl wore trousers to school (any school) back then, she would get sent to the principal's office, where they'd call her mother to bring her home to change into "proper" clothes. If a woman wore trousers to my church, even a fancy "pants suit," you could be sure that she would hear about it from everyone. As for work attire, in few kinds of jobs that women weren't excluded from, they were expected to dress "properly", which meant a skirt (and the right kind of skirt) if they didn't want to get fired. Not only were women required to wear skirts, they were expected to go to great lengths to "be attractive" -- make-up, hair styling, stockings, high heels, etc. And if someone took it as a license to grope, well, that was the woman's fault for being "too attractive." Apropos of this, does anyone remember what life was like for airline stewardesses back then? ("Coffee, tea, or me?")
Very nicely put, AMM; thank you.

For those gentlemen who apparently feel personally affronted or deprived at not seeing women in skirts all the time, I would urge you to imagine a future society in which male skirt-wearing is nearly universal. How would you would feel toward a woman who said, "I have always treasured the sight of men in trousers, and I feel cheated and robbed because nearly all men now wear skirts"? Would you not want to tell that woman, "Mind your own business, lady; my clothes are for my own comfort and aesthetic preferences, not yours,"? ;-)

Freedom to wear the clothes of one's choosing means just that -- for men and women. I hope the day comes soon when men feel as free to wear skirts as women do to wear trousers.

Cheers,

Inertia
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

A future woman might have said: "I have always treasured the sight of men in trousers, and I feel cheated and robbed because nearly all men now wear skirts"? Would you not want to tell that woman, "Mind your own business, lady; my clothes are for my own comfort and aesthetic preferences, not yours,"?
No, I don't think I'd want to be that blunt and argumentative. I'd rather say something like "Well, I do hope you can get over that, as I doubt there's going to be any changes in the future to put men back in tight unhealthy trousers. Tell you what, go to a library and look up pictures of past societies where men were forced to wear uncomfortable trousers and enjoy looking at the pictures. Have a nice day now." :twisted:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
PatJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by PatJ »

It was a nice Spring day today. I was at a wedding for a friend - skirts and dresses were the norm for the ladies. Then on my way home through town - a number of ladies were out and about wearing various length skirts. It was refreshing!

Yes - I to like seeing women in skirts. Call me "Old Fashion" :!:
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Since1982 »

I love seeing folks that choose to be in a skirt. I don't like seeing men forced into trousers any more than women should be forced into dresses/skirts. Anyone should wear whatever they CHOOSE to wear. I wear skirts because they are comfortable to me. I just wish I'd started wearing them in public 42 years ago, instead of a mere 4 years ago. I never realized how easy it would be until I tried it. Misconceptions abound. I've commonly referred to men in suits as "penguins" or "lemmings"...I suppose I shouldn't though, it's their choice and as much their right as it's my right to wear a skirt if I please. 8)

Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

A boy had the temerity to wear a skirt to school on mufty day here a little while ago. Was he persecuted! Nearly got himself expelled. The tyranny goes both ways. Jack.
r1g0r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r1g0r »

Jack Williams wrote:A boy had the temerity to wear a skirt to school on mufty day here a little while ago. Was he persecuted! Nearly got himself expelled. The tyranny goes both ways. Jack.
uummmm...

"mufty day" ?

whiskey tango foxtrot !?!
you know... george orwell warned us!
"Moderation is a colorless, insipid thing to counsel. To live less would not be living."
Sister M. Madeleva Wolff (1887-1964), CSC
Kris
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kris »

r1g0r wrote:
Jack Williams wrote:A boy had the temerity to wear a skirt to school on mufty day here a little while ago. Was he persecuted! Nearly got himself expelled. The tyranny goes both ways. Jack.
uummmm...

"mufty day" ?

whiskey tango foxtrot !?!
See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mufti_(dress)

Kris
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Since1982 »

I thought I'd seen the word "mufti" in another usage. Here it is>>as in the Grand Mufti.

http://islamineurope.blogspot.com/2009/ ... velop.html

Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

"Mufti day" means a day when the uniform may not be worn.
Last edited by Jack Williams on Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mipi
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mipi »

Since1982 wrote:I thought I'd seen the word "mufti" in another usage. Here it is>>as in the Grand Mufti.

http://islamineurope.blogspot.com/2009/ ... velop.html

If you mean Mufti (not Mufty), then this is Islamic Scholar, teaching Islamic Law, right?
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

In New Zealand, the word "Mufti" is used for when a person, for instance in the army etc. who usually wears a uniform is in his/her "civvies" that is, out of uniform. I thought that was common knowledge. Just checked the Pocket Oxford Dictionary, which says: "mufti, n. Plain clothes worn by one who has a right to wear uniform." Jack
DALederle
Member Extraordinaire

Post by DALederle »

In my origional post I expressed a feeling I have had for years. "I like seeing women in skirts and dresses" and I could have added high heels too.
I then went on to explain a personal piece of my life history and how it relates to my feelings about what I like seeing women wearing.
So why does this have to be torn apart by all these critisms over my original post.
I just lilke seeing women wearing skirts, dresses and high heels too!
I don't demand anything or anybody, male or female. We all have to live our own lives.
I don't have to agree with you and none of you have to agree with me.
But I really HATE the way people want to critque every last detail.
In cartoonist they are called rivet men. Cartoonist who put in every last little rivet in a panel in a cartoon.
I mean and meant nothing more then to say that seeing a woman smartly dressed in a skirt or dress and heels, looking as feminine as she can is a joy for me to see and in our modern times this is getting harder and harder to see.
Dennis A. Lederle
:(