Above the knee or below the knee!

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Above the knee or below the knee!

Post by Kirbstone »

All my skirts are above the knee. However, wearing a little mini out & about is braver that I am ever likely to be. We don't get the 'beach' weather here that would allow casual wearing of such leg-exposing skirts. However I do share the exhileration of donning such a teeney garment when cavorting round our private grounds on a nice sunny day.

The furthest I've ventured in such attire was out onto the local bogmoor walking our dogs early on a fine Summer morning where I'm unlikely to meet anyone other than another lone dog walker.

T.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
dongya

Post by dongya »

observing myself in the mirror, i think that kilt length, slightly above the knee, is perfect for me -- and a kilt/skirt with its A-form and space for movements is best anyway; below the knee can be ok, but it is more difficult for me. the ankle-long sarong is comfortable at home, but so far i never went out in a sarong. i personally would not like to have it shorter than a kilt, and i remain skeptical about the ankle-long (gothic) skirts, but never tried one so far.

when sitting down, kilt length may appear short, however, it does not bother me. one can find ways to deal with it as it is. i always push it down between the legs with my hand, so that one does not get insights.

note: historically, men wore miniskirts and women long skirts. today, it is the opposite :-)
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

dongya wrote:note: historically, men wore miniskirts and women long skirts. today, it is the opposite
I'm not sure of the validity of that statement. When you look at traditional garments still being worn by men in the countries where tradition hasn't been swamped by western blandness, you most often see ankle length or below the knee. A sarong (I use the term generically) will be wrapped up into a large loincloth for work in a muddy rice paddy but, reverts to long when the work is done.

In the western tradition, I have seen a picture of a mediaeval alchemist in a long dress very like one Jack wore in an early view. The mediaeval peasant may have worn the skirt short for the same reason as the Asian peasant for practicality. I guess, deep down, I have a peasant outlook, that is---"if it aint practical, I don't like it"
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
dongya

Post by dongya »

hi sarongman,

i understand. in other cultures, it is/was different. i saw the lunghi in india worn as a miniskirt, except for when i wanted to take a photo, then they lowered it.

when i said that phrase about the miniskirts, i was mostly thinking of noblemen or merchants in europe prior to the 19th century; these people wore miniskirts and tight-like trousers. ---- i probably also had in mind the roman legionaries. today's greek soldiers wear miniskirts and white tights.

men vs. women:
http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user/El ... ort=3&o=45
shorter skirts and tights:
http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user/El ... ort=3&o=10

best regards, dongya
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

Yes, I heard that the Greek guardsmen (in parade uniform, which reminds me strongly of my Mother's tennis skirt from the late 50s/early 60s) have one pleat for every year of Ottoman occupation. Anyone want to correct or verify that observation, after all it could be a BBC/QI fact :lol: Here's a picture from a history book detailing the battle for Greece and Crete in WW2. Not a quality phot of the book page, for which apologies are given. Our soldiers aren't nearly as colourful!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
stevbo1

Post by stevbo1 »

i love mini skirts, if not wearing a kilt . i went to a small party with good friends and i wanted to wear something short . it was very short and i got alot of compliments. i did have trouble sitting and with it riding up.i had to pulled up around my waist to get inside my car and did not go commando for this party. it felt good to wear this mini, nobody judged me. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pleats

Post by Pleats »

GerdG wrote:My skirts including kilts are all from top of knee to mid thigh. I have worn long skirts, floor length and ankle length but neither did I find them comfortable nor did I like the way they looked on me.

By the way, even in a very short skirt (finger tip length) the risk of exposing yourself is minimal, at least as long as you are walking or standing. I think this picture, taken from an angle you would never see in the real world, proves it. When sitting down some caution is asked for, however.

I have a few denim minis that length. One does have to take care when sitting. Every movement is planned as to not face toward someone. Also important to keep the legs together. For some guys that is hard and uncomfortable to do. I have never had a problem with it. Maybe because of the number of years of wearing skirts. As for the look from the back, if commando, knee length or shorter, it is also important to keep the legs together when walking up stairs or doing any bending.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Even if you can rather easily and without any problems walk around in a skirt that short, sitting in it is really hard, and being commando is, to my opinion, not possible, at all. Men's skirts should, due to anatomy, better be somewhat longer.

In fact too comfortable to be really comfortable
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Derek Plattis
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Derek Plattis »

GerdG wrote: Men's skirts should, due to anatomy, better be somewhat longer.

]
In my opinion - much, much longer - but each to their own

Derek
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Re: the very short mini: No, not for me! As it happens, I DO like minis for cavorting about the grounds here on fine Summer days, but I always choose longer flared ones, A/ for freedom of movement, B/ to hide any (unsightly) bumps and C/ to feel comfortable sitting down.
TJK silhouette + fountain.jpg
T.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Kirbstone wrote:Re: the very short mini: No, not for me! As it happens, I DO like minis for cavorting about the grounds here on fine Summer days, but I always choose longer flared ones,
Tom, the mini you show is in fact the same length as mine. Only the angle is different. It makes mine look shorter than it is (was). But still that is too short to be practical and accordingly I years ago threw it out (together with most of my other skirts by the way) and concentrated on wearing kilts. That does not mean, however, that I'm against skirts for men. Of course it helps if a short skirt is wider like yours.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I totally agree, Greg. The one shown in the 'silhouette' pic. is way too short to wear out anywhere. Like you, I'm all in favour of kilts, which are by a country mile the most elegant of the lot.

T.
Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tackleberry »

Ive got to admit that I prefer above the knee, but I do have a few below the knee skirts as they seem warmer when the weather gets a bit cooler, but in the main its above the knee!!
Zorba
Distinguished Member

Post by Zorba »

Below the knee for me!

Well below the knee, at least down to upper-mid calf, but mid to lower calf - or even ankle/floor length preferred.

Why?

Easier to be modest, LOTS more fun to swirl, warmer in cold weather, and I think they look better.

But to each his own!
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Zorba wrote:Below the knee for me! [...] Easier to be modest, LOTS more fun to swirl, warmer in cold weather, and I think they look better.
Ah, but as the old saw goes, "It's the breeze between the knees that's sure to please.", and having experienced that it's kind of hard to go back to tr*users -- and it's not a sensation that one gets with long skirts.

I actually think it's healthy to explore both ends of the spectrum, and simply go with what one is comfortable with. For me, like you, I tend towards long skirts but specifically reserve the right to "go short" on my own time and by my own rules (e.g. "not for work").

And, yes, it's hard to beat the look of a maxi in full bloom on a fast-moving body.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!