Need help and or ideas for Mardis Gras party

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Need help and or ideas for Mardis Gras party

Post by Pythos »

I got invited to my friend's Mardis Gras party this weekend. He clearly stated that this was a costume non-optional party (yea).

I have several ideas, that as usual are not of the normal male. I was thinking of a catsuit worn in a sexy way, perhaps with spiked boots, or just go as a sleek cat. Or wear some costume with these open sided leggings I have, perhaps with fishnets underneath.

But then I got an even more fun idea.

The chenongsam. After some repairs I got it fitting and staying on (the top buttons kept popping open), and I still fit in it. However this is where some ideas may come in handy.

I will wear hose, but not sure what type. Nude, Black, Fishnet (with or without nude or black under, or just fishnets).

For foot wear; A) Tall black combat boots, B) the boots I wore at the wedding, or C) the slippers made of the same material as the dress that came with the replacement dress that had a faulty zipper.

I am partial to the fishnets with combat boots, kinda funky idea.

On the other hand I may just wear those American Apparel D*sco pant.

I have never gone to a Mardis Gras party, but I think from what little I know this outfit should work well.
" Pre-conceptions are the biggest enemy of humans. they prevent us from moving forward. If you want to see "another reality" you must first throw out your pre-conceptions. Every thing starts from there." -Mana
Milfmog

Re: Need help and or ideas for Mardis Gras party

Post by Milfmog »

Pythos,

I have to say that I thought the Cheong Sam look was superb but I did not think the boots you wore with it worked. They broke the smooth line a little too much for my taste. I reckon that matching slippers would be a stunning look.

However, and remember that this comment comes from someone who has never been to a Mardi Gras party, I can't help wondering whether the Cheong Sam might be just a bit too formal and better saved for another occasion. I guess that may depend on how "excitable" the party might get.

Whatever you decide, don't forget to let us know how it goes and maybe share a picture or two...

But, most importantly, don't forget to have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Pythos -- My opinion plops down quite comfortably alongside Ian's in regard to the chengosam (that's spelt wrong, and I'm pretty sure of it); that's a moderately formal look, and I think that wearing boots with it just "doesn't go". Too, depending on how wild the party gets (Mardi Gras bashes can sometimes get quite uproarious -- I think ChrisM would be eminently qualified to speak to this) the look might be too formal anyway.

If you've got your heart set on fishnets and boots, I'd be tempted to go with something really short and/or tight. I believe I'd also opt for something other than black; black might be a bit too somber for the occasion.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

I believe that Mardis Gras colors are purple, green and gold.

Also, Mardi Gras was in February. Why hold a Mardi Gras party now?
Moderation is for monks. To enjoy life, take big bites.
-------Lazarus Long
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pythos »

That is a good question. I really don't know why on this date. I'll have to ask.

Well we shall see how it goes.
" Pre-conceptions are the biggest enemy of humans. they prevent us from moving forward. If you want to see "another reality" you must first throw out your pre-conceptions. Every thing starts from there." -Mana
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pythos »

So following part of the day at one friend's house for some gaming, I return to my house to get ready for the Late Mardis Gras party (the reason it is so late is my friend's wife's birthday is on this day, so she throws a Mardis Gras party. Odd I know but there we are)

Prior to the earlier gathering I had done a full leg shave with lather and razor so that part was done when I returned. Seeing as there was little suggestion for ideas and that the Cheongsam is the only item of clothing I have that has gold on it, I stuck with my original plan. So I got out of my D*sco jeans, and suntan hose I had been wearing, along with the shirt I had on. Grabbed my Levantee seamless, sheer to waist fishnet tights and got them on. Then I put on my ankle boots, followed by my working myself into the gown. Looking in the mirror the outfit was a wee too formal, so I lost the boots and put on my ground thumpers (combat boots), now the look looked better (worse?) and MUCH less formal.

Got my stuff together, threw on my trench, and headed out for my first Mardis Gras party.

Upon arrival people only saw the top portion of the outfit, and I had thought I had indeed blown it. Despite my friend's request for people to go in costume, the uniform for the evening was JEANS, excepting three women, and of course myself. One girl (who is someone I already know) was wearing high heels, olive capris pants, black shirt, but over the shirt was a full corset. I have not seen her curves before but she looked stunning. Another was in this silly almost Charlie Chaplan outfit, baggy trousers, a black white and red horizontal striped shirt, and crummy looking tennis shoes, topped off with a cute red derby. She was going for a hobo look, which she did. Then there was the only woman there in a dress. As stated everyone else in Jeans.

Well I started getting compliments on my "shirt", and after some introductions I stated "well, I feel over dressed" and with that slid off the trench. Stunned looks, aside from my friend, and the corset girl. Then a corus of "Wows and that is awesome". It was a hit. One woman asked me where I got it, she had supposedly never seen one aside from pictures. I told her I got it at a china shop. I could tell some guys there were perturbed. But I paid them no mind. I had a gaggle of ladies giving me compliments on my build, my legs (they loved the fishnets with the combat boots).

Following some Jello shots I proceeded downstairs to the pool table, where all my other friends were.

Once again some more compliments, and many statements of pulling the look off well. While watching the pool match and waiting my turn I chatted with the girl in the corset. Asked what happened with the costume ideas (let me say, there were beads, feathers and masks, but these hardly constitute "costumes" to me). She said she did not know, and was slightly dissapointed. She then said she was thinkiing of wearing a skirt, but was too lazy (booo, lousy reason;) We talked a bit more about other stuff, when she broke out with "God you look hot" while looking me up and down.

Well, I finally got to the table and proceeded to take it over (I am a fair billards player), and won four games It was more than interesting maneuvering in the dress for the shots, and I have to say I felt down right sexy. I would glance at the two ladies that interested me, (corset girl, and hobo girl), and saw that they were fixated right on me, their eyes were tracing every curve of my body. Then I noticed the other ladies in the room (all older and married women) were also looking at me. Some guys were too (eeeek;) but not like the two afformentioned girls. Problem is Corset girl is one of my friend's SO, so that is a no go territory (phooey), but Hobo girl was new to me. I keep the table for a few more rounds, when it is me against hobo girl. All the while people started leaving the small room for smokes and drinks, leaving just Corsett, and hobo with me. I learn that hobo is corset's sister. Then it is just me and hobo, she is also a good player, and we just continued playing. Then she asks "is that thing comfortable?" which I say "actually it is very comfortable, the only slightly uncomfortable area is right around the chest here" and I indicated the area. I set up for the next shot, which required what most would consider quite a sexy pose, lot's of leg showing. Then hobo asks me something that came right out of right field, as I sink another ball she says "not meaning to be rude, or anything, but I gotta know. Are you wearing anything under that, aside from the stockings?" Now I am stunned. A very cute female who I don't know has just asked me something that if a man asked it would be considered a perv. Well I set up the next shot, and say " actually I am wearing tights, not stockings, and why do you ask?"
"I was just wondering, they look great",
so I counter with "well how do you wear yours?"
"I don't, dresses are for girls..."and realizing the foot that just jammed into her mouth stumbled with " no offense to you, you look great".
I then stand up and look her in the eyes, smiling, with my head tilted and ask " what makes you say that?"
she shruggs.
I then say " to me clothing has no gender. Look at you, you are as a female able to wear nearly anything you want, you have chosen to wear pants instead of skirts. Don't limit yourself on gender rules, they suck, you should try a skirt, or dress, you may like it" She sets up her shot. I continue "We live in a screwed up culture. Unfair really. Why is it you can like pants and wear them all the time you like, but I who has always liked skirts is really not allowed."
She breaks in with "I have always thought that unfair, why should guys be so limited to the boring stuff they wear" So with that I supposed she is a pant suit, slacks kinda girl, no foul.
We continue with our game when she asks again the first question, which I answer honestly, which seems to get her to really check me out, especially (I could see this in the mirror of the room) my bum as I set up for shots, I saw her looking squarely at my posterior, with a look of utter approval) I thought at any moment she was gonna make a grab, but she didn't, but she did say "nice a**"

Wow. That is all I can say. I found out she is a bit too young for me, which was a bummer, the first real bite in ages and she is inaccessible. Aw well.

Finally I start getting tired after hanging out and dancing with the crowd. I grab my trench, say farewell, and head out.

What an evening
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Well done, lad. Well done indeed!

From the sounds of it, it seems you pulled the look off -- and did so in fairly grand fashion. Feel free to ignore my earlier advice about the footwear ("ground thumpers"; I like that); it seems that the incongruity worked in your favour!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pythos »

Remember this was a silly costume that actually turned out to be more, completely unexpectedly. I had a notion I was gonna get compliments, mostly on my legs, but that was about it. This was just under when I met one of my girlfriends when decked out as a Broadway cat for Halloween. There sparks flew. But she had to move, which is probably for the best. (yea right)