The Feel of a Skirt!

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
DALederle
Member Extraordinaire

The Feel of a Skirt!

Post by DALederle »

One of those moments I most look forward to while wearing a skirts is that first moment I feel the hem of the skirt I'm waering hit the back of my legs. This CAN'T happen in a kilt since the ones I have are all knee length.
Most of my skirts are mid-calf length. Of course they are actually ankle length but in women's size so on me they're mid-calf length because of my height. I have five mid calf lengths and I've worn them all out in public as well as my kilts.
Today was the third day in a row that I had on a skirt. But just inside the house where the temp is comfortable enough. It's still to cold for me to go outside, since I have another chest cold and am really trying to stay warm.
But there's that one special moment of thrill when I feel the skirt brushing against my legs that it makes so AWARE that I have on a skirt and NOT a pair of pants.
There are other moment like it during the day, of course. But nothing comapes to that first brush on my legs. The only thhing that could be better is if I had a petticoat or full slip. That moment is better if I have nylons on two but bare legged or in knee socks it still gives me a moment of joy over what I'm wearing.
Pants have done nothing like this for me. In fact I hate pants so much that I dread even putting them on.
Does anyone else have their own, personal, special moments?
What are they?
Dennis A. Lederle
:)
Mipi
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Feel of a Skirt!

Post by Mipi »

DALederle wrote:One of those moments I most look forward to while wearing a skirts is that first moment I feel the hem of the skirt I'm waering hit the back of my legs. This CAN'T happen in a kilt since the ones I have are all knee length.

Dennis A. Lederle
:)
Don't agree with you Dennis. I wear kilts an you can feel all those pleats hitting you legs very well. And I enjoy this feeling, too.

Mipi
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

I enjoy this feeling too, whether its a kilt or a skirt which I am wearing.
Possibly its something to do with the fact we were not conditioned to wearing loose fitting garments like kilts or skirts when we were younger and its a re-assuring feeling to be aware of the clothes against the legs.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
r1g0r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r1g0r »

aye!

one of the things we're NOT supposed to do (because we're male) is enjoy the sensual aspects of life. note the difference in how women's clothing is described (sexy, fun, sensual), in comparison to the description of male clothes (sturdy, comfortable, reliable). their descriptions sound like something you'd WANT to wear. ours sound like something you could bear to have on until it finally falls apart.

women ENJOY their clothing (for the most part), we barely notice ours.
you know... george orwell warned us!
"Moderation is a colorless, insipid thing to counsel. To live less would not be living."
Sister M. Madeleva Wolff (1887-1964), CSC
Mipi
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mipi »

r1g0r wrote:aye!

women ENJOY their clothing (for the most part), we barely notice ours.
Not always. Sometimes they put on some uncomfortable "things" just to be inline with the fashion or to be "hot"...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

r1g0r wrote:one of the things we're NOT supposed to do (because we're male) is enjoy the sensual aspects of life.
Thanks for the depressing note of the day. :cry: (Note that I say that mostly in jest.) I'd call BS on it, but cannot find a suitable argument to back up such a call, so I guess I'll just have to let it stand.
note the difference in how women's clothing is described (sexy, fun, sensual), in comparison to the description of male clothes (sturdy, comfortable, reliable). their descriptions sound like something you'd WANT to wear. ours sound like something you could bear to have on until it finally falls apart.
Well, I know for a fact that actively enjoy wearing skirts whereas I pretty much just tolerate trousers. So, I think that's a decent observation. It also points up one of the glaring inequalities that still exist in our world -- and one that nobody seems to pay attention to. Wy do I like them? Well, one of the big reasons is that I actively like the way they feel -- the way they move, the way that breeezes get in and around my legs, and the sense of not being constrained; so if that makes me "less of a Real Man (TM)" then so be it. I can take the heat.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
DALederle
Member Extraordinaire

Post by DALederle »

I know there's always going to be someone to disagree with anything that's posted. My orginal posting on this was just from my point of view.
Yes I can feel the pleats on a kilt when I walk around. But a skirt just feels different to me. That's all I was trying to say.
I enjoy wearing both skirts and kilts. But both feel different to me. It's a good feeling in both garments. Maybe it's because I usually wear a half-slip under a skirt that adds to the feeling. Two layers instead of one.
And both are a wonderful and sensuous to feel around my legs. And our culture does say to us that men shouldn't feel that way.
But I'm also describing just a brief, fleeting moment. It happens only the first time when I have a skirt on. The rest of the time I barely notice it when I get busy.
Dennis A. Lederle
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

For me the feeling of a skirt is to not have any feeling, to get way from having material constantly rubbing against the legs as with trousers. If there is any feeling, it's one of freedom :kiltdance:

I remember on "The One Show" (BBC magazine programme), Dame Helen Mirren was talking about costume dramas, and wearing a corset so the upper body was confined, but below the waist she felt naked and free under the voluminous skirt. I could appreciate how she felt - even the male presenter said he'd like to try it sometime. (No. I don't wear a corset :roll: )

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

1. I like the feeling of being almost naked from the waist down. Especially not feeling that wad of cloth at my crotch.

2. The ventilation.

3. The "swirl" of the skirt -- the way it swishes back and forth as if it had a mind of its own, and "floats" as you go down steps. I also like twirling in one -- it's almost not worth twirling/getting twirled at a Contra Dance, if you're not wearing a skirt that will fly out while you're doing it.

4. I like using different fabrics -- nylon, polyester lining, voile, etc., and they feel very different (and sound very different) from the usual denim and cotton, especially when one layer rubs against another.

5. I just like the way a skirt looks. Even when I put on a skirt that makes me wonder if I could ever have the courage to go out dressed like that, I still think it looks cool.

Now, not all skirts have all these advantages, but the ones I like do.
Thanks for all the fish.
owen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by owen »

For me, knee-length skirts have the best feel. When I'm standing up and moving around, the hem brushes nicely against the back of the knees. Sitting down, the hem sits at the top of the knees, brushing them nicely. I wouldn't have it any other way. And of course, knee length has the advantages of being short enough for easy movement but long enough for warmth and modesty.

Regarding skirt shape, somewhere between pencil and A-line does it for me. A-line skirts have a nice flip and swing, especially in heavy fabrics. But pencil skirts have a certain cosiness which makes them nice to wear, even if they are a bit restricting. An in-between shape is a good solution, I find. Pleated skirts and kilts just have no shape or feel, sorry.

A silky lining is good too, especially in winter when it clings to your bare legs. Just add knee-high socks for warmth.
Hemitom

Post by Hemitom »

I like the feel of nothing touching my legs when i walk. kinda not wearing anything at all. but when it does touch it reminds me that i'm wearing a skirt. the ones i like are the denim ones that are about knee length.
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Yes, the Feel is what makes skirted garments. The swirl of a wide long skirt. I purposely put on my full length quite light very wide skirts to go to the shops on a windy day. Does it fly and swirl! While the other bods of both genders waste such a day in their pants.
In my dresses I love the way, with no waist restriction the bod can move within them and they slide over the body quite sensually!
Wesley

Post by Wesley »

I wear some skirts simply because of the way they feel when I'm walking in them. Shoping for skirts, I'm developing a sense of what fabrics, cuts and length feel best, because it's hard to adequately "test" a skirt in the dressing room.
DALederle
Member Extraordinaire

Post by DALederle »

The original post was meant as a personal point of view. And there is no one answer here. Everybody is right and/or wrong with their own personal view being their right answer.
The reason I made the post in the first place is because I feel a sense of joy, a sense that "Oh, BOY!" I am WEARING a skirt, when I feel the hem on the back of my calfs. I just don't feel that in knee length or shorter shorts when I try to wear them.
I also have a sense of modesty left over from my childhood. I remember girls and woman trying to keep their skirts down and their legs crossed modestly.
Our current fads have seemed to go away from all that.
But that was another era and another time.
There's no right answer to men wearing skirts.
It is something thhat most of the western culture doesn't. or doesn't chose too, understand.
Don't let it bother, is the hard thing to get to.
:bom:
Happy Halloween!
Dennis A Lederle
Live Long and Perspire!
skirt24

Post by skirt24 »

Simple.

The feel of the skirt to me no matter if it is long, mini, knee length is the feeling of freedom.