The Feel of a Skirt!

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Derek Plattis
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Feel of a Skirt!

Post by Derek Plattis »

r1g0r wrote:aye!

one of the things we're NOT supposed to do (because we're male) is enjoy the sensual aspects of life. note the difference in how women's clothing is described (sexy, fun, sensual), in comparison to the description of male clothes (sturdy, comfortable, reliable).
Women ENJOY their clothing (for the most part), we barely notice ours.
Yes - you've hit the nail on the head! Men are not supposed to feel sensual they are meant to provide sensuality for women. Traditional Western ideas of clothing reflect this.

Personally I like sensual clothing - thin, soft, full etc.. My skirts are all around ankle length, and I like using fragrances more usually associated with women - perfumes, fragrant soaps and shower gels and so on.

Derek
Lawrence de Grande

Post by Lawrence de Grande »

Skirts are just so much more comnfy than jeans/pants/trousers or even shorts. I love the freedom of movement, and the coolness in summer. However, if the skirt is too high above the knee I feel too exposed.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Lawrence de Grande wrote:Skirts are just so much more comnfy than jeans/pants/trousers or even shorts. I love the freedom of movement, and the coolness in summer. However, if the skirt is too high above the knee I feel too exposed.
Me too. Well, that and the swish...

I also like the rebellious / counter-cultural side of wearing a skirt. I've always enjoyed a that sort of thing.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
brucewmbazo

Post by brucewmbazo »

I honestly feel a kilt (or skirt) is more comfortable than pants. Discovering kilts or skirts is like finding a whole new world. I am glad I had the courage to make the discovery and enjoy it.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Caultron wrote:
Lawrence de Grande wrote:Skirts are just so much more comnfy than jeans/pants/trousers or even shorts. I love the freedom of movement, and the coolness in summer. However, if the skirt is too high above the knee I feel too exposed.
Me too. Well, that and the swish...

I also like the rebellious / counter-cultural side of wearing a skirt. I've always enjoyed a that sort of thing.
:D I like the counter culture aspect too.
Hemitom

Post by Hemitom »

first off i want to say I don't get to wear my skirts out too often. Right now im living with my mother until the first of the month when ill be moving out and into my own place.........then Ill be free to wear what i want when i want. my mother doesn't approve of it.

anyway...when I do wear my skirts out or around the house I feel the freedom of my lower extremities. I also like to wear my tights under them as well. to me it just makes the skirt look more put together and keeps my private parts secure and not moving around uncomfortable.
I used to tell my ex-wife that I like the feel like I have nothing on underneath and the fabric just brushes the back of my legs....

I do wear tights under my shorts in the spring/summer/fall. My skirts will start to replace the shorts very soon...
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Hemitom wrote:...I like the feel like I have nothing on underneath and the fabric just brushes the back of my legs...
Yeah, the swish...

So, your mother is OK within your wearing skirts around the house but not out? Is that right? Even if you're going somewhere relatively distant?

And secondly, you're old enough to have an ex-wife but your mother still controls how you dress? I mean, domestic tranquility and all that, and I guess you don't want to get kicked out, but still...

How did your ex feel about your wearing skirts? Or was that the issue?

(BTW, if any of this is too private, sorry, feel free to ignore the question.)
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Skirts are for me far better than trousers. Far more comfortable, roomy, good air movement, far more character and personality than trousers.

I prefer skirts labelled by society as womens skirts as they are softer than the rough and hard men only skirts. I avoid floral/lacy styles, going for a unisex pattern/colour. Also I feel very uncomfortable in skirts higher than calf length. Never been a shorts person, like to be covered in sunny weather but with plenty of air movement. Also like to be warm in the colder months. Skirts provide all this, shorts & trousers have there limitations.

It's hard to describe but the feel of a skirt is so much better than two fitted "drainpipes" and a "bucket" joining them with the restrictions it brings..

No objections to Utilikilts, or the short men only skirts before anyone starts complaining, I am a big believer in each to their own, man or woman, it's just my preference.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
Hemitom

Post by Hemitom »

Caultron wrote:
Hemitom wrote:...I like the feel like I have nothing on underneath and the fabric just brushes the back of my legs...
Yeah, the swish...

So, your mother is OK within your wearing skirts around the house but not out? Is that right? Even if you're going somewhere relatively distant?

And secondly, you're old enough to have an ex-wife but your mother still controls how you dress? I mean, domestic tranquility and all that, and I guess you don't want to get kicked out, but still...

How did your ex feel about your wearing skirts? Or was that the issue?

(BTW, if any of this is too private, sorry, feel free to ignore the question.)

Well the issue was/is my mother objects to the skirt wearing thing. so when i do wear one its not in her presents. I am now living by myself. so i can do what i want when and where.
now when i was living in her house i wore them when she wasnt there. ...now apparently my wife....now Ex-wife didn't approve. not sure if that actually played into it all or not.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Hemitom wrote:...I am now living by myself. so i can do what i want when and where...
I'm glad to hear you have more freedom now. Enjoy!

caultron
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Caultron wrote:
Hemitom wrote:...I am now living by myself. so i can do what i want when and where...
I'm glad to hear you have more freedom now. Enjoy!
Good to see you got out from under the women! They do, from my experience anyway, like to take control of the Mere Male. Perhaps that's why I prefer the batchelor life.

Really enjoying my long swishy Historical Emporium rayon skirt. The "freedom fit" aspect though is a bit much, the elastic is so tight.. A woman did complain actually on the site. I did release it a bit by cutting it where the string tie comes out at the front, but as the girl said, it's so sewn in all around that it is rather impossible to disconnect it.
But that does have a really good swing and swirl as I truck along, making it certainly a joy to wear. I had to add the pockets though..

http://www.steampunkemporium.com/store/003303S.php

http://www.youtube.com/user/MediaevalBa ... discussion
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jack Williams on Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Yeah. What I notice up the street in this skirt is actual reactions. In my "normal" skirts or shirt-dresses, not noticed.
As I swirl past in the rayon I get big ups from the women on the street!
Them in their tights and skinny jeans.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Jack Williams wrote:Really enjoying my long swishy Historical Emporium rayon skirt. The "freedom fit" aspect though is a bit much, the elastic is so tight..
I think I might have to get me one of those. That and another walking skirt in red.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

That looks like a really good skirt, very tempting, but it will be tight on me I think.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Yeah, the elastic is overdone, when, as with Macabis, there is also the string tie. I'll probably attack the two middle lines of sewing out of the four and maybe get another less aggressive piece of elastic in.
At present it's not bad, as I have a lot of stuff under it at this time of year, but otherwise it might be a bit restrictive at the waist.
Looking forward to this one for when less stuff is worn under: (rashly orded for 36" waist). Really wide and swishy on the legs.
The real beauty of skirts is the great variety they open up, over pants.
And notice when peering at the detail of this skirt how they have tried to get away from the standard jeans design a bit by having miss-matched and uneven placements of the rear pockets. The front pocket zippers are just for show, and, while ridiculous, would disappear under one's top anyway.
And yes, it has the "male" right-hand zip! The same as my Levis anyway.
http://www.skirtcafe.org/forums/viewtop ... 69&t=16060
http://www.denimskirts.com/grrolodesk.html
Last edited by Jack Williams on Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.