The Feel of a Skirt!

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Feel of a Skirt!

Post by JohnH »

Jack Williams wrote:The front zippers are just for show, and, while ridiculous, would disappear under one's top anyway.
And yes, it has the "male" right-hand zip! The same as my Levis anyway.
Who cares where the zipper is when you simply lift your skirt to urinate? That's much easier than fumbling with a zipper with pants. :D

John
Vince5680

Post by Vince5680 »

The feel of a skirt is wonderful. Every one of them are different and they are sensual. I like sensual and don't mind admitting it. Why can't men be sensual too? I like the way a skirt hangs from the waist and then gently covers what it's meant to in a free and comfortable way. It always reminds me it's there when I move about. It is a nice feeling when the hem gently pats the back of your leg when you are walking. I enjoy a walk in a skirt. I try to take a walk most evenings.
The more I wear skirts the more I am appreciating them & the more I hate trousers. Been in a skirt all weekend, except for 2 hours working this afternoon. I was thinking why have I put up with the discomfort of trousers all those years.

Vince
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

JohnH wrote:
Jack Williams wrote:The front zippers are just for show, and, while ridiculous, would disappear under one's top anyway.
And yes, it has the "male" right-hand zip! The same as my Levis anyway.
Who cares where the zipper is when you simply lift your skirt to urinate? That's much easier than fumbling with a zipper with pants. :D

John
Too right!
The zippers are there just to make it a "jeans" skirt.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Jack Williams wrote:The zippers are there just to make it a "jeans" skirt.
That and to be able to get the rigid waistband over one's backside!

The dirty little secret is that the easiest way to use the loo is to pull the thing up and out of the way (I have it on good evidence that's how the gals deal with the matter). With full skirts, one can hoist the front to do one's business at a urinal and still have complete modesty behind (this is difficult with tight, or short, skirts).

Three words: "Not" "a" "problem". Full stop.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Vince5680 wrote:The feel of a skirt is wonderful. Every one of them are different and they are sensual. I like sensual and don't mind admitting it. Why can't men be sensual too? I like the way a skirt hangs from the waist and then gently covers what it's meant to in a free and comfortable way. It always reminds me it's there when I move about. It is a nice feeling when the hem gently pats the back of your leg when you are walking. I enjoy a walk in a skirt. I try to take a walk most evenings.
The more I wear skirts the more I am appreciating them & the more I hate trousers. Been in a skirt all weekend, except for 2 hours working this afternoon. I was thinking why have I put up with the discomfort of trousers all those years.

Vince
Yes, that one has a really long and wide skirt, so I can swing down the street and it can billow in the breeze. The rayon Historical Emporium one is great in that way as well.
A man does need pockets, and while I had to put them into the rayon one myself, the grey light denim one has the four as on jeans!
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

crfriend wrote:
Jack Williams wrote:The zippers are there just to make it a "jeans" skirt.
That and to be able to get the rigid waistband over one's backside!

The dirty little secret is that the easiest way to use the loo is to pull the thing up and out of the way (I have it on good evidence that's how the gals deal with the matter). With full skirts, one can hoist the front to do one's business at a urinal and still have complete modesty behind (this is difficult with tight, or short, skirts).

Three words: "Not" "a" "problem". Full stop.
Yes, that one has a rigid waistband, and good belt loops; most of my other ones have at least some elastic, belt loops or no.
Getting that one a good waist fit is the answer as it is a waist high design, not one for on the hip. Most of my other ones are hip ones.
Last edited by Jack Williams on Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

That SyleJ skirt arrived today. I got it a size 36". It is perfect! Even with nothing else on it does not hang down. It is really good and wide, and misses the floor by about 3". I can fit quite a few layers under it as it is waist high and just holds my stomach in nicely, while being comfortable and secure without a belt. It does have the loops though. Good quite deep jeans type pockets at front, and useable rear ones. "Male" right-hand zipper. In fact, a very male skirt to my mind.
It was very creased of course when it arrived, so I have it hung up drip-drying at the moment. A photo in it tomorrow though I think.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Jack Williams wrote:That SyleJ skirt arrived today. I got it a size 36". It is perfect! Even with nothing else on it does not hang down. It is really good and wide, and misses the floor by about 3". I can fit quite a few layers under it as it is waist high and just holds my stomach in nicely, while being comfortable and secure without a belt. It does have the loops though. Good quite deep jeans type pockets at front, and useable rear ones. "Male" right-hand zipper. In fact, a very male skirt to my mind.
It was very creased of course when it arrived, so I have it hung up drip-drying at the moment. A photo in it tomorrow though I think.
Excellent! I like their skirts, even the fly opens at the proper side for us blokes.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Big and Bashful wrote:Excellent! I like their skirts, even the fly opens at the proper side for us blokes.
I can't remember the last time I used a "fly" on a skirt other than to get the waist over my backside. I take the easy path and lift the hem. (It makes less of a mess that way and still provides decency from the rear-view if the skirt is full enough.)
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

crfriend wrote:
Big and Bashful wrote:Excellent! I like their skirts, even the fly opens at the proper side for us blokes.
I can't remember the last time I used a "fly" on a skirt other than to get the waist over my backside. I take the easy path and lift the hem. (It makes less of a mess that way and still provides decency from the rear-view if the skirt is full enough.)
So do I, but it seems right having it set out for the right hand. On the Style J skirts the fly is too short to be useful when micturating (nice word!), but I have spent my life doing up trouser and zip so it seems a natural way to put on a skirt, button/clip, zip and belt.

My one criticism of the Midas jeans and cargo skirts is that the fly is just a wee bit too short, another inch or so would be better, more like ordinary bifocal pairs of jeans. However they are just long enough and when out in public conveniences I do use the zip, in the Gents it seems more normal than hiking up the hem. When using the zip I soon learnt to push the front of the skirt back between my legs to keep it clear of stray drippage, the things you learn with a new style of garment!
Derek Plattis
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Derek Plattis »

Personally, in public loos I use a cubicle and drop 'em ( or should that be it?). At home it doesn't matter
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Big and Bashful wrote:So do I, but it seems right having it set out for the right hand. On the Style J skirts the fly is too short to be useful when micturating (nice word!), but I have spent my life doing up trouser and zip so it seems a natural way to put on a skirt, button/clip, zip and belt.
Trouser and zip are a pain compared to the freedom of just lifting the hem.

Put bluntly, I never mastered the notion of using the trouser fly alone when "relieving myself": it was always down to belt, button (or other fastener), fly, and the top of the undergarment. Life is so much easier now!
My one criticism of the Midas jeans and cargo skirts is that the fly is just a wee bit too short, another inch or so would be better, more like ordinary bifocal pairs of jeans. However they are just long enough and when out in public conveniences I do use the zip, in the Gents it seems more normal than hiking up the hem. When using the zip I soon learnt to push the front of the skirt back between my legs to keep it clear of stray drippage, the things you learn with a new style of garment!
That's down to the design of the garment, and I am not going to second-guess you on practical tactics. All I can say is that that with the ones I have it's vastly easier to lift the front of the hem to "do my business" and to cast scorn on naysayers than it's been to undo all the top parts of trousered rigs over the years. (Although I do have to admit that it's sometimes a challenge to deal with ten feet of hem circumference in front of the convenience!)
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I did not mean to provoke such a discussion of how one stands up and urinates with a skirt! Sorry. :D

John
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

JohnH wrote:I did not mean to provoke such a discussion of how one stands up and urinates with a skirt! Sorry. :D
We'll put it down to "practical advice" or, perhaps, a "how-to". :lol:
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

A ten foot hem does sound like a challenge! and then there are hoops if you really want to make things awkward!