Why are these only for women?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Why are these only for women?

Post by Sasquatch »

Yes, you are mostly correct, Pythos. Sorry, no offense meant, but there are just too many good joke themes associated with the term "Disco". As a survivor of the Seventies, I would have had to tape mittens on my hands to keep from replying! :lol: :lol: :lol:
The old punster,
Sasq
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

BTW, My comments weren't edited after all...I didn't realize photos were posted in two therads on different forums and had responded in the other forum. A senior moment, I suppose. At 51 and already suffering from CRSS (Can't Remember S_ _ t Syndrome)! Apologies to any whom I maligned or confused in error.
Sasq

Hunter/Garcia
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pythos »

No problems here.

I really wish they weren't called that term. It is ghastly.
" Pre-conceptions are the biggest enemy of humans. they prevent us from moving forward. If you want to see "another reality" you must first throw out your pre-conceptions. Every thing starts from there." -Mana
alexthebird
Distinguished Member

Post by alexthebird »

Is everyone finished with the disco jokes? I'm about to go off-topic for a bit, but I think disco is getting an unfairly bad rap here. I see disco in a very positive light. It returned a sense of dance and rhythm to popular music. I hated the pop music it replaced, a combination of insipid singer-songwriters, TV singles masquerading as pop songs, and guitarists and keyboard players whose mission in life seemed to be that they had faster fingers, more abstruse musical ideas and longer hair than any of their contemporaries. I also remember that the pop music of the era was getting very racially segregated and that there was rampant homophobia. Disco welcomed anyone who wanted to dance.

Disco was also very inclusive of its music influences, incorporating jazz, funk, soul, Latin music, early hip hop, Broadway, pop, rock, soul, and anything else where the rhythm could be amped up. Rock and pop were becoming increasingly fragmented at the time and were narrowing focus, not broadening it.

Sure, there was some dreck, but there were some real geniuses, too (Tom Moulton, the later era of Philadelphia International, Rodgers & Edwards, etc.). I look back very fondly on the era

By the way, I look back with nostalgia at the punk era for many of the same reasons. It was physical, it welcomed everybody, it wasn't pretentious. It was fun.
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

Punk (wasn't really into it either) at least had social significance and a cultural basis. Disco, IMHO, was the wretched excess of the valueless children of privelege. Just my opinion.
Sasq

Hunter/Garcia
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pythos »

Your opinions is wearing thin though. (which by the way, those pants are not, unlike most lycra clothing;). Punk and rock (heavy metal of the 80s) is more my avenue. Many out there concider such to also be dreck. it is all in the ear of the beholder.

But...

ENOUGH ABOUT MUSIC ERAS!!!!!

My post was about the pants, not the music of the time:)
" Pre-conceptions are the biggest enemy of humans. they prevent us from moving forward. If you want to see "another reality" you must first throw out your pre-conceptions. Every thing starts from there." -Mana