If You Could Dye Your Hair Any Colour?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

If You Could Dye Your Hair Any Colour?

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

I'm off to get my hair dyed neon blue I hope, the reason I say I hope is once before I tried to get it that colour & it came out coral (yuck!).

But this has inspired me to ask others if they could dye their hair any colour what colour would that be?
Milfmog

Re: If You Could Dye Your Hair Any Colour?

Post by Milfmog »

I quite like my natural shade of "used to be dark"....

But neon blue sounds fun. My wife is a hairdresser and has one customer with a neon blue streak in his shoulder length dark brown hair. She always enjoys doing that because it is (apparently) such a challenge to get the bleach right and then apply the colour for just long enough to hold but not long enough to grab which causes it to go green due to the natural yellow left behind by the bleach.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pythos »

Black, and striaght (no damned curls;)

I was "blessed" with red hair, which led to being beat up for such in elementary school. It is also thick so it curls if it gets to a certain length.

I have always likes straight and simple hair styles.
" Pre-conceptions are the biggest enemy of humans. they prevent us from moving forward. If you want to see "another reality" you must first throw out your pre-conceptions. Every thing starts from there." -Mana
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I suppose if I decided to "go wild" I'd just put a streak of grey in it, or possibly a shock of bright bluish-green (my favourite colour). However, with my length, it's too much of a risk of permanent damage -- it's taken a long time to grow better than two and a half feet of hair!

As far as getting kicked around the schoolyard for "looking different" (whatever "different" you can imagine!) goes, I find it positively amazing how long the resulting insecurity lasts. I'm no exception, either; I got picked on for being tall and having a rather large overbite -- neither of which, incidentally, I had any control over (like hair colour). One thing I try to do now when I recognise such intrusions from the past, is to look at them carefully, analyze them, and debunk them mercilessly. I have yet to find validity in so much as one piece of "bully-wisdom" picked up -- or rather, foisted on me -- 40 years ago.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Inertia
Distinguished Member

Post by Inertia »

I started going grey when I was 17, but when I turned 40 I figured it was time to break out the permanent dye, since there was quite a bit of grey. Did it a nice shade of auburn-red. Wondered, over the next few years, why my hair seemed to be getting thinner and thinner... realized that whether the stylists dyed it, or I did, it was just falling out of my scalp in ever-increasing quantities. So I stopped dyeing it a year ago. Now it's dark ashy brown with grey bits, and lots of interesting streaks of silver, and I quite like it... and I'm no longer losing handfuls of it. So I have to say, if I could dye it any colour, I wouldn't, 'cause between grey and bald, it's a no-brainer!

Mind you, as for colours, I loved my auburn-red. Scarlet looks cool on people too, for a few days. And I have a weakness for moss-green... But I'm enjoying being grey-haired, because it makes my face look younger. :-)

Cheers,

Inertia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Inertia wrote:Wondered, over the [...] years, why my hair seemed to be getting thinner and thinner... realized that whether the stylists dyed it, or I did, it was just falling out of my scalp in ever-increasing quantities. So I stopped dyeing it a year ago. Now it's dark ashy brown with grey bits, and lots of interesting streaks of silver, and I quite like it... and I'm no longer losing handfuls of it. So I have to say, if I could dye it any colour, I wouldn't, 'cause between grey and bald, it's a no-brainer!
My wife (Sapphire) discovered the same thing a while back, and her hair looks absolutely fabulous! She's mostly between a grey and a very dark blonde, but there are colours in there that are just amazing -- and beautiful. She gets compliments on it quite frequently, and people are just gobsmacked when she tells them that it's her own hair and "it just comes out of my head like this". It's also much thicker and healthier than it was when she was perming and colouring it frequently.

It kind of makes one winder why people do such things to their hair. Beauty comes from within, not from what's on the surface.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
r1g0r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r1g0r »

i guess i'd choose "still here" for a hair color. :)

started going bald at about 1977 (at 17), and gave up the fight around 1991. been shaving it since, as otherwise i sport the "friar tuck" horseshoe fringe.

otherwise, i'd choose a blue-black hybrid color. just to scare the guy on the street :twisted:
you know... george orwell warned us!
"Moderation is a colorless, insipid thing to counsel. To live less would not be living."
Sister M. Madeleva Wolff (1887-1964), CSC
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Well, I'm soon to be 67 (8 days) and still prolly 90% blond, just on my temples I'm mixed gray and blond. When I was young I was alway VERY jealous of those lucky kids who had high foreheads and who's hair didn't fall in their faces every time they bent over. However, as my life progressed I started to notice my high forehead friends foreheads were getting higher and higher until they reached the zenith and started migrating towards the rear of their heads while my low neanderthal caveman forehead wasn't moving at all. By the time I reached 30, I was starting to see my childhood friends and not recognizing some of them as they were either completely bald or had AMM's "horseshoe" hairstyle. About that time I started thanking my neanderthal foreheaded father for his genes which gave me that low non-moving forehead, which I still have. My hair, which is thinner than when I was young is still blond, long, and straight. I don't think I'd dye it, unless it turned gray. It hasn't done that yet and may never go gray. I can only hope. That Viking blood is showing itself still. I'm 50% Norweigan blood. :bow:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Inertia
Distinguished Member

Post by Inertia »

crfriend wrote:My wife (Sapphire) discovered the same thing a while back, and her hair looks absolutely fabulous! She's mostly between a grey and a very dark blonde, but there are colours in there that are just amazing -- and beautiful. She gets compliments on it quite frequently, and people are just gobsmacked when she tells them that it's her own hair and "it just comes out of my head like this". It's also much thicker and healthier than it was when she was perming and colouring it frequently.

It kind of makes one winder why people do such things to their hair. Beauty comes from within, not from what's on the surface.
Sapphire's hair sounds just lovely, crfriend. Something that beautiful just has to be natural. I encountered a woman yesterday who had tried to achieve what you're describing with dye and highlights, and all it looked like was synthetic. If she's let it just grow in naturally it likely would have looked great; but she was a former image consultant in Europe, and a model in North America, and she looked pretty much synthetic from head to toe.

As for why women dye their hair... I can't speak for other women, but for me, it was because I just wasn't used to looking at myself with *that* much grey hair. I didn't see it as beautiful, I saw it as, "What? Is that me? That *can't* be me! I' m not ready for that yet!" Having been put into the position of not having a choice in the matter, I've realized that this really is me, and it's okay; I even like it, probably even better than I liked the synthetic auburn.

Cheers,

Inertia
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

started going bald at about 1977
Ironic being it was the era of Punk
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

Maybe I'd die back to the dark brown it was twenty years ago. It's now a silver gray. When I retire I'm going to let it grow longer and become a professional Santa.

Sasq
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

I'm still my natural auburn brown color. I wouldn't change the color of it. Nor the length (almost waist-length). In fact, I'm actually looking forward to when it does finally turn gray.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Bri
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bri »

I'm thinking of a dark catsup red.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

If mine ever changes from blond to gray, maybe I'll dye it aquamarine with red and yellow dabs to look like fishies swimming all thru it. :hide: That would match my favorite skirt. :alien:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

Plaid!
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia