Archive film show

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Archive film show

Post by Charlie »

We went to a showing of archive films of the local area (Glastonbury and Street) last night. The films were a mixture of TV and cinema adverts, TV newsreels and some homemade stuff. An interesting bit of social history. My wife wore a skirt and, as usual, I was the only man not wearing trousers (Black Union kilt instead).
The films ranged from 1922 to 1973, and what was interesting was that, with the exception of the 1973 film, all the women wore skirts. By contrast, the men's clothing was just as drab then as it is now, except for one 1970s shoe advert where they were wearing tight flared trousers that weren't black, blue, brown, beige or grey - the shoes were brown or black, so some things never change :( .
As an aside, there was a guy in the audience who was on crutches and had some sort of bone-setting framework on his lower leg. Obviously he couldn't get trousers on over it, so he had one complete trouser leg and one short leg which had been split to facilitate getting his trousers on. I wondered if he'd considered that a skirt would have been far more practical? There was a girl at work who broke her leg and had a huge plaster cast. She wore a skirt until the cast was off, then straight back into trousers.

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.