Tights article in The Daily Mail

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Tights article in The Daily Mail

Post by Charlie »

I came across this article about men wearing tights in one of the British newspapers:

Men in tights: Sales for skintight legwear for men soar on the back of superhero films

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... l-men.html

I just had to send a comment:
Natalie Theo, the Daily Mail's fashion editor, is talking the usual codswallop we've come to expect from the media when it is presented with something new; if you don't understand it, ridicule it. Get the right tights and the waistband isn't uncomfortable, particularly if you get tights designed for men. And men have hairy legs? So do women - until they shave them as instructed by the fashion industry. What's so wrong with a man shaving his legs? Plenty do. And please, don't give us all that stuff about it being 'unmanly'. There's more to being a man than having hairy legs and wearing trousers day in, day out.
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Re: Tights article in The Daily Mail

Post by Since1982 »

I left a comment too. Said how nice tights feel under my skirt. I wonder how Natalie will react to that response? :alien:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

Interesting, I too have sent a comment, and I was wearing the same colour purple tights as to the in the foto. :D
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pythos »

Natelie theo is a *****, pure and simple.

Not much else to say.

I don't care if I spelt her name wrong.

I hate this kinda attitude.
" Pre-conceptions are the biggest enemy of humans. they prevent us from moving forward. If you want to see "another reality" you must first throw out your pre-conceptions. Every thing starts from there." -Mana
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Pythos wrote:Natelie theo is a *****, pure and simple.
Well, that's putting it a wee bit bluntly. The way I see it is that the author is ignorant on the matter -- and ignorance is easily cured through education and exposure to concepts and ideas. As has been pointed up, a very human way of dealing with something that's not understood is to ridicule it -- it's really a defensive mechanism.
I hate this kinda attitude.
Whether we like it or not matters not one whit; there are going to be people who think that way. We need to accept that, and not get riled up when it happens. It's called "taking the high road". If we think the subject doing the ridiculing is educable, then we have the option to make an attempt to do so; if not, why should we act in base terms?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

Strange, i thought I placed a comment, but it is not shown. :shock: :roll: :?:
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Mipi
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mipi »

Peter v wrote:Strange, i thought I placed a comment, but it is not shown. :shock: :roll: :?:

Yes, even today it says "No comments". ???
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Peter:
I do not see any comments posted by anyone?
I wonder if you have to be a registered reader/poster to have your comments published?
rm
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

r.m.anderson wrote:Peter:
I do not see any comments posted by anyone?
I wonder if you have to be a registered reader/poster to have your comments published?
rm
There is no need to register to post comments however a couple of points should be made:

Firstly, the original article was published on 4 August. All comments are subject to moderation / approval and I suspect that after this much time no one is bothering to approve comments.

Secondly, this is the Daily Mail, a red top tabloid that tends to only publish comments that either agree with them or can be ridiculed to "prove" that they were right.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

Interesting photo choice. While guys certainly look good in heels that inclusion had noting to do with the article other than attempt to link the wearing of tights to dressing like a woman (or at least the general public's perception of it).
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Skirt Chaser wrote:Interesting photo choice. While guys certainly look good in heels that inclusion had noting to do with the article other than attempt to link the wearing of tights to dressing like a woman (or at least the general public's perception of it).
I recall seeing the article a couple of months ago, likely soon after it was published, and the thoughts I took from the photograph varied from the "Hey, that looks good!" (the bright purple) to the visceral need to physically recoil from the image (the "footless tights"). Now, I admit to an aesthetic that really demands continuity of line (and brighter minds than mine have suggested architecture instead of computers to me) which is the main reason I don't like "footless tights", but the wrinkled bare feet just made me want to hit the back button in utter and abject disgust.

Tights are great things -- for those who embrace them -- and they are wonderful tools for enhancing one's looks. But, for crying out loud, if you're going for a polished look, bare trotters sticking out underneath leggings is not the way to do it (in my opinion, of course). Gack!

As far as heels go, I'm OK with the notion; heck, I recall wearing 2.5"-3" heels during the late 1970s -- and really liking them! And I mourn the fact that guys can't get anything that doesn't look like clod-hopper (or worse!) shoes these days. At a US size 12 (read, "bigfoot") there's also no hope for "crossing the aisle" in an attempt to find something refined, so I just have to "deal with it". I really feel for the statistically tiny number of women who stretch to 6' plus in vertical dimension with a concominant stretch in foot size.... As a bloke I'm expected to look boring; really tall gals aren't. But, market forces rule, so there's no market. I also think I'd come in for some flak from my dear wife if I decided to shove on 3" heels; she'd never get close to my face for the occasional nuzzle, and that'd be a decidedly bad thing. ;)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I second the comments on the Daily Mail. It's a nasty little paper for people with small minds.

That photo is of womens' legs btw.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

I could guess that 'The Daily Mail' is the Brits answer to our USA National Enquirer or all the news UNFIT to print is here!?!
Just plain dumb to have females modeling colored tights/pantyhose with a headline that the items being modeled are worn
by metrosexual men. Then have a section for comments - with none allowed or posted. A fine creditable newsworthy source!
rm
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Inertia
Distinguished Member

Post by Inertia »

The article sounds completely dense. You know, though, reading through the various postings on tights confirms to me what I've always thought: tights and pantyhose weren't designed for the female figure. Men find them comfortable! To me (and most other women I know) they feel like a kind of torture-device. No wonder! They're actually made for *male* proportions! :-)

As a female, I find stockings and garter much more comfortable. One is spared that feeling of being stuffed into a sausage-casing, or an iron maiden...

Cheers,

Inertia
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Inertia,

I doubt many men are going to have a problem with you preferring stockings! :D