First Mini

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: First Mini

Post by STEVIE »

This may seem rather ironic. Shorter skirts may actually look better on guys simply because of the intrinsic leg shape. I am not suggesting the lycra body con look but a reasonable pleated or A-line seems to work for me anyway. Team that with decent leg wear, mind how you sit and no problem.
Steve.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

My first mini sadly no longer exists. It was a blue denim miniskirt about 14" long which I wore on my first outings. This was just over 2.5 years ago. I hadn't told my wife about the trips "in the wild" as I thought it would be best to get some first hand knowledge of what the problems actually were.

My wife, looking through the computer found the various discussions and then physically cut the skirt up with scissors! Scared the hell out of me especially as I thought she would attack me next and I couldn't fathom the reason why she was so mad - and still don't see why it is such a big deal (based on my experiences outside). She wears trousers almost exclusively and thinks that is OK ("But they are WOMAN'S trousers" she shouts back at me) but won't entertain any man-skirts.

For time she did actually allow me to wear them in the house but now she doesn't permit that anymore. :( :(

I do wonder if the manskirt actually takes off whether she will change her mind. I wish all who are trying to promote skirts in the men's section all success in their endeavours.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I was going to type up a longish message about ultimatums and suchlike, then erased it all after thinking that you must have tried them all! so I will settle for; "Tough luck! sorry to hear about your problems"
I feel like saying something like "I hope your next wife is more reasonable" but I suppose I best not! I do hope that between the two of you, you can come to some arrangement which works for both of you, as long as it isn't YOU making all of the sacrifices just to pacify her and keep her "sweet". I never did try marriage, having seen how they can work, (or not), but I have heard that they are supposed to work in both directions.

Hope things work out!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

You have a sympathiser here, Skirtingtoday. My wife isn't above chucking things out of my wardrobe which she doesn't approve of, for her own private reasons.
Of late however, she seems to have stopped rummaging in my wardrobe & drawers and to my surprise a few casual 'gardening' kilts & skirts have gone untouched by her fair hand for some considerable time now. I don't wear them in her company and we have an extensive private garden and associated grounds where I do like to go about skirted in half decent weather. She knows about this but doesn't seem to care. It's the 'exposure to the Public' bit that would concern her, as our community of 4 Million souls is just a village, really.

Tom K.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Mrs SS has occasionally threatened to throw mine out as well. Usually only when she is having a bit of a moan about my skirts, which is normally when something else is bugging her so she decides to have a go at me to make herself feel better. I don't think she'll actually do it, but I suppose I'll never be sure about that unless it happens! (Or unless she becomes more content with my skirting, which would be nice and may come to pass one day.)
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

It's the 'exposure to the Public' bit that would concern her, as our community of 4 Million souls is just a village, really
She is just thinking of what neighbours would say about her, letting her hubbo go around in what she percieves as womens wear, completely oblivious that she is wearing what is perceived as mens wear. Two views or standards, both hers,lol.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and wishes.
Big and Bashful wrote: I feel like saying something like "I hope your next wife is more reasonable" but I suppose I best not!
lol That would be a criterion! :D

Re Kirbstone, Mrs ST does NOT approve of skirts in the garden at all (sigh) even though our back garden is reasonable secluded. We have a solid fence backing onto a main road and only those around 5' 9 can see over, and only for a short section. (good for nude sunbathing :shock: as well - which she also doesn't approve of either - though on naturist beaches on holiday, she is fine with it)
skirtyscot wrote: (Or unless she becomes more content with my skirting, which would be nice and may come to pass one day.)
I have the same wish but the hostility is something else. difficult to counter as I tend to clam up when there is aggression against me - and that she doesn't like either. Whenever I do try and speak back, I get snide criticism and ironic applause which is not helpful either.
Gregg1100 wrote:It's the 'exposure to the Public' bit that would concern her, as our community of 4 Million souls is just a village, really.
She is just thinking of what neighbours would say about her, letting her hubbo go around in what she percieves as womens wear, completely oblivious that she is wearing what is perceived as mens wear. Two views or standards, both hers,lol.
Exactly right! Though she doesn't know it, several people in our street have passed me walking the dog (when we had one) or cycling home from work (whilst wearing a skirt) and have not made any comments at all. My wife always says, "What will so and so say? Does her husband wear skirts?" How would I know - perhaps he does for all I care. Good for him if so! All she thinks is her own view is the Law.

Strangely she is all very supportive of gay/lesbian marriage and against racism or discrimination of any sort but won't entertain skirt wearing. Perhaps sometime when I want another beating, I will try again to dissuade her but I don't hold out much hope.

There has been suggestions of a Scotland meeting No 2 - perhaps this could be beneficial if I can show that there are other like-minded people out there that I have met.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

skirtingtoday wrote:Mrs ST does NOT approve of skirts in the garden at all (sigh) even though our back garden is reasonable secluded. We have a solid fence backing onto a main road and only those around 5' 9 can see over, and only for a short section.
Mrs SS doesn't mind, except for the time when I had just bought a bright red skirt and proceeded to wear it while mowing the lawn. Our fence is nearly 6' and it has vertical slats so anyone can see through, but we are on a very quiet road.
skirtingtoday wrote:
gregg1100 wrote:She is just thinking of what neighbours would say about her, letting her hubbo go around in what she percieves as womens wear, completely oblivious that she is wearing what is perceived as mens wear. Two views or standards, both hers,lol.

To be fair to her, those double standards are not just hers, they are those of society as a whole. And it's only to be expected that she cares what the neighbours think. People do.
skirtingtoday wrote:Exactly right! Though she doesn't know it, several people in our street have passed me walking the dog (when we had one) or cycling home from work (whilst wearing a skirt)

Erm, she might know by now - this forum is public!
skirtingtoday wrote:Strangely she is all very supportive of gay/lesbian marriage and against racism or discrimination of any sort but won't entertain skirt wearing.
Playing devil's advocate again, but this could be a distinction between what she thinks and what she feels. And maybe it is just too close to home. (Mrs SS sees no reason in principle why men shouldn't wear skirts, but she still doesn't like me doing it away from home when she, or our children, or anyone who knows us, is around.)

Also we, men who wear skirts, are in a much smaller minority than homosexuals or ethnic minorities, who have been campaigning for equality for a long time. This has resulted in them gaining wider acceptance which we are a long way from.
skirtingtoday wrote:There has been suggestions of a Scotland meeting No 2 - perhaps this could be beneficial if I can show that there are other like-minded people out there that I have met.

Good idea!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

skirtingtoday wrote:...the hostility is something else. difficult to counter as I tend to clam up when there is aggression against me - and that she doesn't like either. Whenever I do try and speak back, I get snide criticism and ironic applause which is not helpful either.
It sounds like she knows she has no logical argument against your skirt wearing and is resorting to petty childishness in the knowledge that you will back down. There is no effective way to beat this as her mind is closed to any reason you offer and anyway you will never overcome an emotional reaction with a logical argument, unless she wants you to overcome it.

Time is probably your best ally. She may simply get used to you wearing a skirt at home when lounging around out of sight of the rest of the world. If she gets used to you dressed that way, eventually she will forget to ask you to change before going out and then, when the world does not stop turning and there are no riots in the streets or lynchmobs at your door, the seed of realisation may germinate and start to grow.

If you are lucky you may occasionally spot another skirted man out and about with the folks around paying no attention to him. Sadly, we are rather thin on the ground so the chance of that happening is not high.

I wish you luck,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

It seems there are a few who would go for another Scottish meet, me too.

Here's hoping!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

When my MM is away I have to do her chores which include feeding the poultry. It's been very mild of late, so I went out there in this little Denim number , but in deference to the Season I wore a pulli as well, which is bulky.
Feeding poultry in Mini, Feb 2012.jpg
Normally when I wear that or shorts, a teeshirt up top suffices.

Tom K.

P.S. That lot's not all. There were three big white geese off pic. to the right and at least 20 doves perched up high waiting to descend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Milfmog wrote:Time is probably your best ally. She may simply get used to you wearing a skirt at home when lounging around out of sight of the rest of the world. If she gets used to you dressed that way, eventually she will forget to ask you to change before going out and then, when the world does not stop turning and there are no riots in the streets or lynchmobs at your door, the seed of realisation may germinate and start to grow.

If you are lucky you may occasionally spot another skirted man out and about with the folks around paying no attention to him. Sadly, we are rather thin on the ground so the chance of that happening is not high.
Nice idea but I have already tried that - and for a time she seemed to tolerate it. Just had the short mini's at that time. But one day she went off moping to her room and she declared that she couldn't stand it any more. So that was that.

Some time later, after I had bought a longer 19" cargo skirt, and wore it once in the house - and got another earful of nonsense. So not even longer ones are allowed now and I am getting worried about wearing the kilt as well though she is still just about OK with it. There was one occasion where she has commented "Why are you wearing THAT? (the kilt)" - it was Hogmanay in the house by ourselves.

BTW. Nice skirt Kirbstone - looks good on you!
Davy

Post by Davy »

Women can sure get funny about what looks "good" and what doesn't. I never wear any of my skirts in my wife's presence so I haven't had to deal with any of this, but I am sure that if I did wear them I would get as many negative comments as anyone. Society's double standard where its ok for women to wear pants but not ok for men to wear skirts or dresses is crazy, but its been around for many years now and doesn't show any signs of changing, especially since the vast majority of these "rules" are made by women.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Davy wrote:Women can sure get funny about what looks "good" and what doesn't.
It's worth noting that in professional circles, at least, women have been held to much higher standards (read, "expensive") than men, all the while making, perhaps, eighty cents on the dollar. This forced them to learn lots of tricks to make "this go with that" and still have the thing work as a whole. The bloke merely shoved on his suit and was done with.
I never wear any of my skirts in my wife's presence so I haven't had to deal with any of this, but I am sure that if I did wear them I would get as many negative comments as anyone.
It's never too early to give it a go! :)
Society's double standard where its ok for women to wear pants but not ok for men to wear skirts or dresses is crazy, but its been around for many years now and doesn't show any signs of changing, especially since the vast majority of these "rules" are made by women.
I suspect it's both sexes to "blame" here, and there's plenty to go around. Men, I really suspect, just don't care much about the issue and, hence, may be unwilling (or at least uninterested) in trying new styles, and the women likely have their reasons for resistance that I'm not really qualified to comment upon.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Davy

Post by Davy »

crfriend wrote:
Davy wrote:Women can sure get funny about what looks "good" and what doesn't.
It's worth noting that in professional circles, at least, women have been held to much higher standards (read, "expensive") than men, all the while making, perhaps, eighty cents on the dollar. This forced them to learn lots of tricks to make "this go with that" and still have the thing work as a whole. The bloke merely shoved on his suit and was done with.
You are definitely right about that, and most men certainly don't want to see that change (shoving on the suit, that is, not necessarily the 80 cents). But I think women must bear some of the blame for this as well. You know the old gag about what happens when 2 couples meet each other for the first time? Each of them looks at the other woman; the 2 men to see if she is pretty, and the 2 women to check out what she is wearing. I suppose you can then infer that the men don't care what the woman is wearing as long as she is pretty and the women don't care what she looks like as long as she (and, by inference themself) is dressed appropriately. And nobody cares what the men look like or what they are wearing. All probably more or less true.
crfriend wrote:
Davy wrote:I never wear any of my skirts in my wife's presence so I haven't had to deal with any of this, but I am sure that if I did wear them I would get as many negative comments as anyone.
It's never too early to give it a go! :)
Yeah, you are right here, but I am a bit of a chicken and I know it would not be well received, so the incentive is not to try.
crfriend wrote:
Davy wrote:Society's double standard where its ok for women to wear pants but not ok for men to wear skirts or dresses is crazy, but its been around for many years now and doesn't show any signs of changing, especially since the vast majority of these "rules" are made by women.
I suspect it's both sexes to "blame" here, and there's plenty to go around. Men, I really suspect, just don't care much about the issue and, hence, may be unwilling (or at least uninterested) in trying new styles, and the women likely have their reasons for resistance that I'm not really qualified to comment upon.
Correct.