First Mini

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

First Mini

Post by Sasquatch »

At the moment I'm wearing the first actual mini-skirt I've ever had. It's a black ruched mini-skirt, rear zip, and I'm wearing it with a wide (for me) black belt. Also moderately-sheer black tights, black T shirt and black Swedish clogs. The skirt falls about six inches above my knees. If these tights weren't holding my "boys" up, I'd have a problem.

I don't know what tempted me to buy this skirt - probably just coming across one in my size and on sale (I'm a proud cheapskate!). A mini is way out of character for me. I like it okay, but, at this short length, the look is a little too feminine to credibly integrate it into my public style. I'm not that daring...yet. I actually like the stretchy nylon fabric, black color, and the ruched construction. I think I'll keep my eye out for another like it but ankle length.

So this is a skirt that will likely stay in the closet unless worn out on a very dark night with limited exposure. Maybe I'll use it at Halloween. Or maybe my wife will find it alluring; she's taken more interest lately in my skirts. Hey, you never know...miracles happen!

Sasq
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Re: First Mini

Post by Since1982 »

Sasq said: Or maybe my wife will find it alluring; she's taken more interest lately in my skirts. Hey, you never know...miracles happen!
That WOULD be a miracle, imagine that, skirts for females. A NEW fashion!!
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

Hey sasquatsh good for you. I can imagine that it feels somewhat strange at first, but so do most new things. The fact that it interested you and you bought it says enough, you like it. That is probably the hardest part, to decide what you actually like and want to wear, in public, but to find out the only way is to actually wear it and see. Miniskirts can be very enjoyable, and can be just as good as other skirts, if you are open minded, then that should be of no problem. Just say, well I like it. That is it.

It all depends on what YOU want, remember, it isn't the skirt that determines the look, it is always the total look. The clothes and most importantly the person in them. And you can have somebody just looking good, and apreciated for that fact, be it a man in otherwise women's clothing ( skirts) and somebody looking manly, feminine OR WHATEVER. If YOU are happy with what you are wearing, that is what counts, not what anybody else makes of it.

If men can walk in short piped shorts, ( are they still available? ) or even swimming trunks, then they can also wear miniskirts.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pythos »

Miniskirts are absolutely fun to wear. Most of my skirts are such, or long ones with long slits. They do take some getting used to, and need to be put together into a good outfit so as not to look silly.

You said that it is a little to feminine for you. What about it is "too feminine" though? You described it is rouched or something, what does that mean. Does it means small ruffles or something. If so, then yah, I can see that as a little too "feminine", thusly making it tougher to put together a "manly" outfit with, but not impossible. See what your SO thinks about it, and if she can offer any ideas, or if it should remain a fun in the house or costume piece.

One of the first things you learn in a miniskirt is to NEVER bend at the waist. I did that in front of my then girlfriend who had gotten me the skirt and we were getting ready for a Goth club event. I had on a plain black mini, black tights, and a dark shirt and boots. I bent over to pick something up, to which she said "I wear tights like that too, but really you should be careful to not expose your lack of undies when out in public". I learned to bend at the knees, and do so mostly when skirted or "normally" attired.

Aside from that and some issues when sitting, they are a blast to wear.
" Pre-conceptions are the biggest enemy of humans. they prevent us from moving forward. If you want to see "another reality" you must first throw out your pre-conceptions. Every thing starts from there." -Mana
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Pythos wrote:Miniskirts are absolutely fun to wear.
Hear hear! There's a sense of playfulness in them that's lacking in most other styles. No wonder they keep "coming back".

One does need to be careful about how one moves in such garments, however; picking something up the "wrong way" or sitting with one's legs spread wide merely shows off tomorrow's laundry. Too, picking up things the "right way" has benefits beyond not flashing the universe -- it's better for your back.
[The skirt was] described [as] rouched or something, what does that mean. Does it means small ruffles or something. If so, then yah, I can see that as a little too "feminine"[...]
Correct. Ruching is a technique used to gather fabric together, and is usually exhibited edge-on (unlike pleating, which is displayed flat-side on). It's certainly not a show-stopper, but will require some thought as to the rest of the outfit.
Aside from [bending] and some issues when sitting, [miniskirts] are a blast to wear.
I heartily second that! It's a pity that mine are going into the closet for the winter this weekend; it's gotten too cold to wear them comfortably (likely even with thick tights). We had our first killing frost last night, and if today was a work day, I'd have had to scrape the frost off my car before leaving. :(
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

WOW that is a little gem!
If you like it, wear it.
Be yourself.
It sure is a very nice little skirt. Should be very enjoyable to wear. Go for it.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Bri
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bri »

I want that skirt now!! it looks really cool. I'd easily wear it!
miniskirt07

Post by miniskirt07 »

Yes mini skirt are cool and fun so just wear if you like to - I have lots of mini skirt that feel so good with tights on and boots -- it look cool.

you can buy this skirt if you like, go for it - it look so coooool (I would buy one as well) :)
Bri
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bri »

Here's a nice one that's a bit longer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CATHERINE-MALANDRIN ... 240%3A1318
miniskirt07

Post by miniskirt07 »

Im wearing warm black polo jumper, 80 deiner opaque tights with medium brown velvet mini skirt with "Roxy" logo on front side and black suede slouch knee-length boots - it feel so good with mini skirt so if you want to buy then go ahead as it just normal clothes we like to buy and wear - it still good fun to wear as well. :)
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

See my pictures for an example of how a mini could be worn.
Minis are very nice skirts to wear, and admittedly have their own extra freedom in being short, allowing for to show one's legs. Something you can also do outside of the sports arena. :wink:
Just experiment yourself and see. Men have had to look bejond the pants box to wear skirts, don't stop there at the first skirt, try different skirts all depending on your own needs of course.
freeindress

Post by freeindress »

Hi Mini wearers,
I have worn a b&w plaid pleated miniskirt a long time ago (with black thick opaque tights, while rollerskating).
Thanks Peter v for reminding "It all depends on what YOU want, remember, it isn't the skirt that determines the look, it is always the total look" and thanks Bri for the link to eBay (I like the double zipper pattern, color, fabrics and could wear something like this without the ruched part that looks too feminine and I don't like it anyway even if it was worn by a woman).
Since I gained confidence wearing a red A-line long skirt, the next step is a red mini with opaque tights. Has anyone something to suggest regarding the color(s) I should try for them - matching, similar or contrasting ? This will help me place an order at welovecolors.com, they have too many colors !
Eborian
Distinguished Member

Post by Eborian »

I prefer straight mini-skirts (I have 5 or 6 of them in my wardrobe). I also have a couple of mini skirts which flare a bit, but I don't think the ruched one would be my first chioce of design.
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

I was the first person in my high school to wear minis. While they seemed extreme for the time, they were only about 2 1/2 inches above the knee. It was scandalous!

I wore minis on our school trip to Washington DC. I had made all of my outfits, including the coat, a beautiful, princess seamed mohair confection. And I wore fishnet stockings with everything. The class advisor was so concerned that I'd get arrested.

Then at some very important Girl Scout award ceremony....... You guessed it. I turned my uniform into a mini. I figured that since I had made the uniform I could alter it. So I came out for my award in a form fitting, mini skirted Girl Scout uniform with black fishnets and black stilletos.

Mom, who was Second Vice President for the Field, was furious and yelled at me for weeks
Moderation is for monks. To enjoy life, take big bites.
-------Lazarus Long